Verified Expert in Finance
Karim has helped companies achieve their financial goals, both as a financial advisor at PwC and as a CFO or financial director for startups or the Fortune 500 companies, such as Merck and Omnicom. His services include business valuation, financial models, business plans, pitch decks, fundraising, and setting KPIs and policies. Karim has worked with over 50 nationalities in various countries and managed projects ranging from $50 thousand to $5 billion in different industries.
Director of Financial Advisory Services
- Assisted several startups and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in fundraising activities, including business plan preparations, financial models, pitch decks, and teasers.
- Performed as interim CFO for a client, a regional software development and translation group with offices in 10 countries, managing a finance team of 20+ managers, analysts, and accountants.
- Conducted valuation and developed financial models for businesses from various industries, such as real estate, manufacturing, education, healthtech, hospitality, biodiesel, pharma, media, and others.
- Assessed the performance of finance departments at several companies and provided tangible recommendations for improvement, which helped enhance cash flow, working capital, and other KPIs.
- Developed financial policies and procedures for the business to enhance control while improving efficiency levels.
- Interviewed candidates for the chief financial officer (CFO) and finance director roles on behalf of clients and identified successful candidates.
- Performed as interim FD for a medium size real estate company, managing a portfolio of almost 1000 residential and retail units.
- Led the finance transformation and automation across the group entities, including 15 translation companies and three startups in the transportation, training, and outsourcing fields.
- Arranged bank facilities exceeding CAD 70 million.
Chief Financial Officer | Chief Investment Officer
Alliance Business Centers Network
- Collaborated with the CEO to expand the business from local to regional sites while expanding from one country to six.
- Developed the financial platform and necessary systems to support the business expansion.
- Hired and coached multicultural cross-border finance, administration, HR, and IT team.
- Managed the working capital focused on liquidity, credit control, and collection automation.
- Drove the revenue increase by 30% and cost reduction by 10% by the end of year one, further reducing it by 8% at the end of year two.
- Negotiated ventures and investments worth $20 million with sovereign funds.
- Negotiated lease agreements and achieved a 20% reduction over two years. Revised the entire food and beverage cost and pricing.
- Drove the occupancy increase by 35% during the first year.
- Worked with the Big Four firms that managed the external audit. Developed financial policies and procedures.
- Discussed new business opportunities, potential ventures, and franchising deals and finalized agreements with regional investors.
Rotana Media Group
- Established the finance function and revised the financial policies and procedures.
- Achieved 40% cost savings through tighter control over various expense lines, such as production, acquisitions, and marketing. Provided a holistic, financial, and cost-benefit analysis to decide on new programs.
- Introduced best financial practices and trained the staff on new and more efficient methodologies.
- Realigned the finance team and introduced best-practice reporting and financial processes.
- Prepared and presented various board presentations.
- Assisted the president and managing directors in setting up and executing the region's business strategy.
- Managed to collect over 80% of more than 20 months of overdue receivables from large clients in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) within the first six months after joining the company.
- Assisted in driving sales performance by setting proper monitoring and follow-up tools and processes.
- Hired and coached the entire finance staff and set up the finance function for the EMEA region.
- Controlled and monitored projects' billing, work-in-progress (WIP), completion percentage, and realization.
Dubai Holding | Universal Studios Dubailand
- Managed the pre-opening capital and operating budget of $5 billion megaprojects in Dubai, including Universal Studios Theme Park, four hotels, a boulevard with fine dining restaurants, retail outlets, and residential compounds.
- Assumed full responsibility for the planning, budgeting, and reporting process, including communication across all departments.
- Coordinated all preopening and launch activities with 15 directors and senior managers from Universal Studios USA, NBCUniversal Media, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Ensured expenses were within the set budget with less than a 1% deviation.
- Managed financial relationships with design consultants, a project management firm Parsons Corporation, and contractors, including reviewing completion milestones, controlling cost, and constructing variation orders.
- Ensured proper documentation and monitoring of all contracts related to contractors, vendors, franchises, and others.
- Improved compliance with the holding group policy from 40% to 95% within five months.
- Developed financial models for accurate cash flow projections, staffing, and other project elements.
- Executed and delivered finance transformation projects for a government, quasi-governmental entity, and private companies in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and other GCC countries.
- Managed teams of consultants and auditors in submitting project deliverables to clients on time.
- Provided advisory services to key government and public-sector organizations in various sectors, such as civil aviation, real estate development, government procurement, customs, investment authorities, and others.
- Covered various projects’ scopes, including a strategy, financial process improvement, setting financial policies, restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, financial modeling, and others.
- Developed policies and processes related to financial areas, such as treasury, budgeting, fixed assets, revenue and receivables management, purchasing, procurement, and payments.
Financial Planning Manager
Merck & Co.
- Assumed responsibility for long-range operating plans (LROP), including capital expenditures, operating expenses, all product lines' revenues, and short-term forecasting.
- Provided a complete analysis of actual monthly results and estimated and actual budget and contrasted the results with the previous year. Provided a profit and loss (P&L) analysis by a product line to each business unit director.
- Led the monthly rolling forecast for the company, including all business units and lines of products, such as cardiovascular, hypertension, NSAID, asthma, vaccines, osteoporosis, antibiotics, and ophthalmology.
- Led the annual budgeting process, interacting and coordinating with all business unit directors and product managers.
- Prepared board presentations for the country's managing director and EMEA managing director in Paris. Ensured timely submission of budgets to the regional office in France.
- Provided accurate forecasts and ensured less than a 5% deviation of the actual bottom line versus the forecasted one compared to more than 15% before taking this responsibility.
- Achieved the Most Accurate Forecast Award in 2005 among all Middle East and Africa (MEA) subsidiaries.
- Developed various reports to monitor and control department and business unit expenses within a matrix set up.
- Developed financial models to provide real-time projections for various business scenarios.
- Assumed responsibility for a general ledger, payroll, and reconciliations.
- Led and managed the implementation of the fixed asset module in enterprise resource planning (ERP) and record-keeping automation.
- Assisted in financial reporting for the senior management.
Credit Analyst | Intern
Groupe Credit Agricole
- Analyzed high-net-worth clients’ financials and profiles to assess their creditworthiness and solvency before granting credit.
- Identified risk areas as well as potential opportunities.
- Provided structured reports to the senior management at the credit department, Département des Engagements.
- Prepared summaries for weekly credit committee to facilitate decision-making.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
Ain Shams University | International Management and Trade Department Business School - Cairo, Egypt
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Institute of Internal Auditors
Certified Financial Manager (CFM)
Institute of Management Accountants
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Institute of Management Accountants