Karim Elias El Helou
Verified Expert in Finance
Karim is a 15-year experienced university professor with a PhD in entrepreneurial finance. He established a network of incubators from Dubai, Beirut, and Amsterdam to support over 100 startups to achieve their first financing round. Karim is also the founder and owner of an SME in solar energy storage based in Amsterdam and Beirut. He freelances to act as a consultant for entrepreneurs seeking to transform their business ideas into appealing and solid business plans for investors.
The Battery Experts
- Implemented an innovative and cooperative funding structure, including all employed skills while limiting external funding to short-termed micro-investments. This structure allows founders to maintain full ownership of their startups.
- Designed financially viable lithium-based solar energy solutions for small businesses and home energy storage to overcome the energy crisis in Lebanon. The solutions were adopted by many NGOs and were implemented in 17 villages.
- Built a network for DIY enthusiasts about battery recycling and renewable energy connecting battery builders from five countries in the Middle East and the Gulf region.
Head of Entrepreneurship and Business Planning Department
Saint Joseph University
- Restructured the course offerings of the entrepreneurship department to include real-life simulations about the different techniques for raising startup funds and choosing the most adequate capital structure.
- Implemented a program allowing graduating students majoring in entrepreneurship to enhance their pitching techniques for investors. The program matched promising business plans initiated by graduating students with local incubators.
- Participated in round tables with Lebanese parliamentary committees to raise the impact of financial regulations and public policies on the entrepreneurial ecosystem, presenting case studies from Beirut, Amsterdam, and Dubai.
Owner and General Manager
- Expanded the scope of the business in the Middle East and Gulf Region by substantially increasing the company's distributed portfolio of brands, which increased the operational capital by 200% in three years without any injection of external funds.
- Built an extensive financial model for analyzing sales over a wide variety of products and wholesale partners in different markets.
- Hired and managed a diverse community of differently skilled individuals operating and serving several markets.
Startup Financial Consultant
- Crafted a business plan outlining the mission, vision, market analysis, competitive advantage, marketing strategies, operational plan, and financial projections. The plan showcased a distinctive approach to culinary excellence and customer experience.
- Created persuasive presentations and compelling storytelling in our pitch deck and secured investment from diverse investors.
- Assisted the Fakhry chain of restaurants in securing substantial investment, allowing multiple locations across Dubai to launch and establish a strong foothold in the culinary industry.
Finance Instructor and Coordinator for Managerial Finance Courses
Lebanese American University (LAU)
- Developed the curriculum and taught classes covering managerial and corporate finance while implementing virtual financial management exercises in academic teaching.
- Coordinated nine sections of the managerial finance course and established a joint assessment and examination procedure for the finance department.
- Initiated students to financial modeling for SMEs and coached students who participated in inter-universities competitions.
Doctorate Degree in Entrepreneurship
International School of Management (ISM) - Paris, France
Master's Degree in Finance
American University of Beirut (AUB) - Beirut, Lebanon
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring