Verified Expert in Finance
Over his 20+ year career, Kevin has helped world-class companies, including AT&T, E&Y, Linde, and Covanta drive growth through acquisitions and new ventures. He has extensive operational finance experience ($2.5 billion in revenues at Linde America) managing financial planning, budgeting, analysis, and reporting. He joined Toptal to work on challenging projects involving M&A, financial modeling, and business plans alongside his other endeavors.
- Managed a newly formed regional team through a regional reorganization with new reporting requirements.
- Integrated a new acquisition into our forecasting and FP&A processes.
- Collaborated with the commercial team and identified new ways to improve revenue forecasting for our environmental solutions business.
Senior Director of Strategic Finance
- Led complex project finance modeling efforts to bring three renewable energy deals to a financial close, around $1 billion in total investment, which was an integral part of Covanta's international growth plan.
- Selected, as a finance lead, to support the new chief transformation officer to drive the full potential plan initiative and track the progress to deliver targeted around $500 million in incremental EBITDA by 2026.
- Led a long-term (5-year) financial model for the international plant fleet (the UK, Ireland, and China).
- Reorganized and optimized the analyst team, removed low performers, and hired stronger contributors. Led the team through challenges, including COVID-19, strategic restructuring, and company sales, maintaining morale without losing productivity.
- Worked with Covanta leadership team and PE owners, built financial forecasts and valuation models used in the acquisition by Covanta of the partner's interest in the UK waste-to-energy projects portfolio.
- Assessed and valued various Covanta divisions for potential spin-off or sale as part of the strategic review process. Modeled various potential long-term services agreements between a potential division for sale and the remaining core business.
Linde Americas (North and South America)
- Built complex financial models to evaluate new business opportunities in terms of IRR, NPV, and ROI and examined various scenarios and options related to deal and commercial structure in partnership with business development and sales divisions.
- Led due diligence and financial modeling and valuation for Linde Americas acquisitions, numbering approximately 20 deals ranging in deal value from $5 million to $900 million.
- Created financial forecasts, budgets, mid-term financial plans, and long-term strategic plans. Created KPIs and compared actual performance to forecasts for major business units within Linde Americas.
- Identified, quantified, and tracked cost savings initiatives that led to $15 million in realized savings for our Growth and Productivity program (a four-year initiative). Coached business partners in identifying and quantifying cost savings initiatives.
- Led initiatives to improve the ability to forecast, manage, and track spending on large projects. Built and led a multidisciplinary team to achieve system and process changes critical to the success of initiatives.
- Built complex financial models, scenarios, and sensitivity analyses to evaluate project profit and loss, returns, risks, and net present value for investments ranging from $5 to $200 million in partnership with the global business development team.
- Designed and implemented processes to share procurement and project cost information between BOC's SAP system and its global engineering partner. Primary finance representative on a global team formed to improve capital investment execution.
Director M&A and Business Development
- Rapidly built a pipeline of acquisition candidates. Prioritized and implemented an aggressive action plan to engage potential M&A opportunities. Engaged on eight prospective deals closing on the number one target in just over a year.
- Acquired and integrated the acquisition of Environmental Management Corporation (a $60 million acquisition), which marked BOC’s entry into the water services business in North America.
- Led the acquisition integration with no loss of key staff or customers and managed 12 integration sub-teams to complete the integration under budget and within the deadline.
Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
- Built a long-term, five-year financial model for internal projections and to analyze Business Services' P&L based on changing marketplace conditions, pricing, and volume assumptions.
- Created financial analyses and financial models to provide key financial inputs for Project Grand Slam, a complex split of AT&T's business units.
- Created economic value added (EVA) analysis to demonstrate the value creation and destruction among AT&T Business Services' nine business units. Presented conclusions to group CFO and VP finance.
Director, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Directed all aspects of domestic and international transactions, including identification, valuation, due diligence, contract negotiations, and post-close integration for $300+ million deals, and was a team member on deals up to $11 billion.
- Closed $230 million divestiture under four months (deadline mandated by CFO). Created offering memorandum, identified buyers, populated data room, led management meetings, and kept management team focused. Attracted eight bidders leading to a strong valuation.
- Took over a failing $300 million divestiture and closed the highly complex deal within five months. Quickly identified internal and external key issues, mediated conflicts between two law firms supporting AT&T, and overcame deal roadblocks.
Manager, Transaction Advisory Services
Ernst & Young
- Performed equity and enterprise valuations of major US and international companies using discounted cash flow modeling, comparable multiple analysis, and acquisition multiple analysis.
- Analyzed companies in many different industries, including manufacturing (British Tire & Rubber, Schlegel Int'l), entertainment (Rockefeller Center/Mitsubishi, International Ice Capades), retail (May, Rent-A-Center), distribution, and business services.
- Managed a team of analysts to complete multiple projects simultaneously on deadline and under budget.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Temple University, Fox School of Business - Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Science in Finance
Pennsylvania State University - University Park, PA
Tax Equity Modeling
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Institute of Management Accountants
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)