Verified Expert in Finance
Laurence is a seasoned CFO and finance director with extensive business leadership experience. He has become a trusted advisor to CEOs and boards, including those of ASX-listed companies. Laurence has 30 years of experience in financial leadership, developing strategic plans and optimizing financial and operational performance, all while ensuring integrity, control, and compliance. Laurence freelances because he enjoys new challenges.
- Developed a 3-way forecast for refinancing of $120 million in business loans, sensitivity analysis, and multiple sales scenarios. The financial outputs included cash, balance sheet, profit and loss, covenants, and KPIs for five years.
- Produced a successful business case to support further investment in the ERP system, with recommendations for improved configuration and training.
- Delivered time and cost savings by removing layers of duplication and needless effort across the monthly reporting process, enabling the download of TB and other key inputs.
- Simplified a complex reporting system and defined inputs, calculations, and outputs while ensuring improved task delegation and governance.
- Improved financial accuracy and discipline by rationalizing the cash forecasting process, automating the collation of information from the ERP system, and overhauling manual processes.
Principal Advisor – Strategic and Commercial Analysis
- Identified a $1 million increase in income for childcare services through detailed review, examination of competitor pricing, and adjusting to increase rates while remaining below market prices.
- Provided detailed insights and recommendations to achieve financial sustainability, including outsourcing future options for service adjustment and other efficiencies.
- Improved the financial ownership among key stakeholders, coaching finance team members on methods to advocate for and explain recommendations.
- Led $2 million in cost-reduction and profit-improvement opportunities, including $200,000 in savings by changing the bottling of products, improving procurement processes and ERP for product costs, and reviewing prices and incentives.
- Improved planning processes and delivered more accurate margin reporting for warehouse and distribution by conducting a quality audit of bills for materials and working with the IT architect to run DRP and MRP processes and validate data.
- Handled the development of business plans for sales.
Diverse Academies Trust
- Improved control, governance, financial performance, and operational efficiency, leading a comprehensive redesign of the finance system to provide streamlined, user-friendly reporting.
- Developed and implemented a cost-reduction program to save £1 million annually, upgrading many areas of policy and operations, including risk and financial management and internal audit.
- Achieved a 0% team attrition during tenure by recruiting, engaging, and training high-performance talent and creating a structure to accomplish all major goals.
Outwood Grange Academies Trust
- Delivered on financial targets consistently while growing from five to 20 schools in two years, creating robust financial and operational infrastructure to facilitate growth.
- Insourced the payroll system for over 1,000 employees, replacing multiple legacy systems and overcoming internal resistance through persuasive engagement.
- Earned the board's confidence in financial processes and reporting, leading strategic, operational, and cultural change across the finance organization focused on key deliverables.
- Invited to be a member of the Academies Group on a national government level that recommended best financial practices across the sector and oversaw sector policies by developing and implementing structural and operational mandatory reporting.
- Demonstrated success at CFO level in SME and large business environments, including ASX-listed companies, boasting exposure to sophisticated business thinking and methods including Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen, and bespoke company models.
- Acquired extensive manufacturing knowledge by working in large multinational manufacturing businesses for two decades.
- Conducted extensive ERP development, implementation, and use across various ERP solutions, such as QAD MFG/PRO, Sanderson Unity, PICs, British Steel, Case legacy systems, and NetSuite.
- Developed and implemented strategies that ensure long-term financial stability, such as the product rationalization process across Europe.
- Attained advanced interpersonal skills by working with regulators, the government, and boards while negotiating win-win solutions to business problems.
- Led teams of over 15 people, demonstrated success in building and retaining talent with high engagement, and managed multi-disciplined teams in IT, HR, procurement, logistics, and sales admin.
- Gained 30 years of experience in end-to-end financial management, governance, and control in public, private, and for-purpose companies across sectors, such as heavy industry, manufacturing, and FMCG.
- Acted as a CFO in multiple companies across service, manufacturing, business, and education.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and Finance
Univeristy Of South Wales - Cardiff, UK
Anaplan Certified Model Builder
Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)