Lorre F. Jay
Verified Expert in Finance
Lorre has advised companies, private equity, and hedge funds on valuations and financial analyses for acquisitions, divestitures, investments, and restructurings. She develops detailed financial models to analyze companies and develop deal structures, price leverage, and value enhancement. She is successful in producing bulletproof results in highly scrutinized, high profile matters.
Montana State University
- Taught a large financial statement analysis class to undergraduate business school students. The course includes valuation, financial modeling, accounting, financial statement analysis, use of databases, financial information, behavioral finance, portfolio theory and CAPM, federal reserve actions, and stock and bond market movements.
- Developed online teaching techniques and materials to increase student engagement during the pandemic.
- Mentored and advised students.
Member of Board of Directors, Treasurer, Chair of Investments Committee, Audit Committee Member
Central Asia Institute
- Provided board-level oversight of operations, finances, financial audits, investment management of non-profit operating in developing countries.
- Helped solve unique problems of providing educational and vocational opportunities to girls and young women in less developed countries.
Portfolio Valuation Advisors, LLC
- Advised a client and client's attorneys and built an equity valuation model for negotiation of a partner buyout. Presented results to a mediator and critiqued opponent's valuation, resulting in a 400% increase in payment compared to the original offer.
- Built a detailed financial model to value intellectual property and multiple classes of equity for a large private equity firm's portfolio company undergoing a turnaround. Successfully defended analysis with external auditors and regulators.
- Advised a hedge fund CEO on the valuation of an investment in an eCommerce company. Built detailed financial model including return analysis, sensitivity analysis, risk assessment, market comparability, weighted average cost of capital and valuation. Prepared detailed report used to support tax position and presented findings to the CEO.
- Served as the sole provider of valuation work for a large publicly traded tech company, with the scope of work including strategic analyses, valuations of acquired entities for financial reporting purposes (including intellectual property) and pre-acquisition valuations for the CFO.
- Performed goodwill impairment valuation annually for a division of a public company in the technology sector.
- Provided detailed financial statement valuation modeling with LBO scenarios to client for potential acquisition.
- Performed detailed financial analysis of company in food and beverage industry including developing integrated financial statements, detailed financial analysis of competitors and development of multiple financial and non-financial performance metrics to predict forecast risk and success.
Duff & Phelps Corporation
- Delivered a fairness opinion for KKR associated with a transaction involving KPE, its Amsterdam public entity, and the sell-down of ownership in Dollar General, HCA, Biomet, Nielsen, and First Data.
- Valued complex investments on a quarterly basis for a large hedge fund for its financial and investor reporting. Developed unique valuation approaches for complex investments with uncertain fundamentals under tight time constraints such as valuing GMAC, a collateralized debt obligations (CDO) issuer, a Brazilian non-performing loan portfolio, an Indian financial services joint-venture, a Mexican specialty lender and a Mexican consumer products company. Presented and defended conclusions with clients' external auditors.
- Developed client relationship to help a large multinational real estate firm with transfers of real estate and non-real estate holdings for a tax free reorganization. The project involved collaborating with several departments to produce a cohesive analysis and unified report.
- Valued a joint venture between Cerberus and PNC Bank on an annual basis and presented the valuation report and results to the Board of Directors.
- Managed projects to develop complex valuation and financial analyses on publicly traded companies, privately-held companies and portfolio companies of major hedge and private equity funds. Built complex models, prepared forecasts, performed due diligence, defended analyses with external auditors and regulatory agencies, and presented the results to boards of directors and audit committees.
- Developed firm's response to Hedge Fund Best Practices for Chair of Asset Managers Committee to the U.S. President's Working Group on Financial Markets.
- Prepared valuation analyses for a large client in the buyout of private shares of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS). Presented findings to the tribunal in the Hague. Client received a price more than 60% higher than what BIS had originally offered.
- Led a valuation team to prepare a report for a publicly-traded tech company's acquisition of a target company for its pre-merger notification filing to the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice.
- Established a regional tax and financial reporting (TFR) valuation team of eight and grew revenue five-fold over a three-year period.
- Led TFR Technical Standards Committee and led the team to develop firm-wide standards for financial reporting valuation models. Authored a white paper on international and emerging market cost of capital. Appointed to TFR Pricing Committee.
- Assisted a board member with European expansion strategy, including preparing a strategic plan and introducing a colleague was then selected to lead the European office.
- Prepared a detailed three-statement financial model to assess capital sufficiency, returns, risk, and market comparability for a large company undergoing a restructuring.
- Developed and built standardized models for valuing businesses, equity and intangible assets which successfully passed reviews by audit firms, SEC, IRS and regulatory agencies.
- Originated and led fairness and solvency opinion projects. Appointed to Fairness Technical Review Committee and reviewed fairness opinions for other teams.
Ernst & Young, LLC
- Ran valuations of private companies, intangible assets and equity for tax and financial reporting purposes.
- Led team to run training for over 100 undergraduate and graduate new hires.
- Performed due diligence, financial statement analysis, and developed cost of capital and valuation multiples for client companies.
- Started up the healthcare valuation group which liaised with audit staff to provide valuation serves to major health care entities in the New York area.
- Developed valuation models, including discounted cash flow analysis, public company analysis, transaction analysis, and financial statement analyses, and performed due diligence on client companies.
Master of Business Administration Degree in Finance, International Business
University of California - Los Angeles, CA
Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in Finance
University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
CFA Institute Research Challenge Judge
University of California
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring