Verified Expert in Finance
With over 20 years of financial and strategic consulting experience, Marty has led projects in eight countries. He recently analyzed sales performance for over 100 leading US food and beverage brands—presenting to executives of those brands as well as several industry conferences. He has a passion for finding the business stories hidden among the data and joined the Toptal network to find challenging projects and to work with talented people.
- Conducted detailed food & beverage brand studies using syndicated Nielsen data to study linkage between specific ingredients and brand sales. Presented findings to marketing teams of more than 50 leading national brands as well as at leading trade shows including IFP.
- Provided strategic market analysis and annual planning support for a $2 billion auto-parts company—including a study of macro industry trends for key OEM customers using JD Power and other market data.
- Built a sales category analysis and scorecard for the CPG business unit of a diversified Fortune 500 company.
- Facilitated the strategic agenda and annual plan development for a $150 million Italian restaurant chain.
- Got the executive buy-in for a new internal growth strategic agenda that was used to secure $500 million in new investment from the European parent of a $4 billion mortgage business. Used detailed population and broker demographics study to redeploy sales staff to drive ~20% increase in loan originations.
- Completed a competitive organizational design benchmark for a US regional banking company—served as input for CEO-led organizational redesign efforts around the cross-selling platform in business banking.
- Created a turnaround strategy for a $160 million candy company—including a $10 million, 100-day plan that returned the company to profitability within 1 year.
- Worked as a process improvement advisor using empirical research and benchmarking data to improve the effectiveness and reduce the cost of providing internal financial performance analysis and planning.
- Prepared process redesign recommendations for reducing annual planning cycles to 12-16 weeks for several Fortune 500 companies: GE, DTE Energy, and United Airlines.
- Acted as the regional CEO of a consulting office serving clients in Australia and New Zealand—overseeing substantial regional market research activities, including widely published economic ranking the region’s top 150 public companies.
- Served as regular economic commentator in Australian media, and was a featured conference speaker.
- Developed relationships with executives at leading regional companies, brought in premier clients: Fonterra Dairies, Transurban CityLink, Snowy Hydro Power.
- Co-led a project for $18 billion consumer company Diageo.
- Developed an integrated market-planning model for Burger King that used operating data to fuse cooperation between business developers and operators, and drove ~$50 million in capital spending.
- Led a value-based management system pilot project and handled the day-to-day implementation for Akzo Nobel.
- Wrote an innovative financial literacy training program that was given to more than 1,000 managers at the $14 billion global chemical company.
- Led the day-to-day implementation team of a value-based management system for Monsanto. Completed a series of detailed industry studies—including cost of capital and R&D spending.
Green Belt in Six Sigma
Motorola University - Chicago, IL, USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Business Administration
University of Chicago - Chicago, IL, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
University of Kentucky - Lexington, KY, USA