Vancouver, BC, Canada
Toptal Member Since
February 27, 2017
Martin is a CFO for a number of tech companies and teaches tech entrepreneurship at Harbour Space University. Martin was an investment banker at JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, and VTB Capital for over 20 years. He has raised millions of dollars in financing for technology firms that he works with. Martin's expertise helps founders and executives prepare financing strategy, financial projections, cap table scenarios, investor decks, valuations, and investor outreach leading to financing.
Martin is available for hireHire Martin
Board Director | CFO
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
Bachelor of Commerce Degree
University of Calgary
Financing Alternatives Comparison
Debt FinancingEquity FinancingConvertible DebtFinancingBonds
Liability Management Review
Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)Strategic Planning & ExecutionFinancial ModelingScenario Analysis
Comparative Company Analysis
ValuationComparable Company AnalysisExit StrategyInitial Public OfferingsMergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
Currency and Interest Rate Hedging Strategy
Foreign ExchangeRisk ManagementInterest Rate RiskHedging
Product StrategyInvestor PresentationsStrategic Partnerships
Business StrategyFinancial ServicesInternational Commerce
Industry ExpertiseFinanceVenture Capital & Private EquitySoftwareMultimedia, Games & Graphics SoftwareFreight & Logistics ServicesFinancial ModelingFintechMerchant Banking
Other ExpertiseAngel/Seed FundingFinancial ModelingFunding PresentationsInvestment Capital RaisingPitch DecksStartupsValuation
2019 - PRESENT
Board Director | CFO
- Prepared and consulted on a capitalization table for founders, new investors, and employee options.
- Developed complex financial projections to understand budgets and funding requirements. Forecasts were presented to investors to determine the return on investment potential.
- Prepared pitch decks for investors for seed and Series A financing.
- Reached out to over 200 venture capital seed-stage and Series A investors in the US and Canada.
- Set up a data room and all legal documentation for investor reviews.
Focus areas: Series A, Seed Fundraising, Capital Raising, Venture Capital, CFO, Board of Directors, Financial Forecasting, Angel/Seed Funding
2018 - PRESENT
- Prepared founder-friendly financial projections that were useful for internal controls, forecasting, budgeting, and burn rate for cash flow management.
- Structured the company presentation, including a company assessment and competitor analysis, used for investors and potential strategic partners.
- Created a widespread offering to medical device investors resulting in an $8 million convertible note followed by a $10 million Series A financing and then a $12.5 million Series B financing.
- Participated in financing strategy, term sheet preparation, and negotiations.
Focus areas: Venture Capital, CFO, Capital Raising
2016 - PRESENT
Green Lake Advisors
- Provided financing and business expertise to corporate clients via a merchant banking/venture capital model that acquires equity positions, directorships, and/or executive roles in order to scale companies from startups to large-cap organizations.
- Advised clients across fintech, biotech, medtech, general tech, healthcare, social impact, and other industries on strategic partnerships and financings.
- Partnered with advisors and investor groups in the US, Asia, and Western and Eastern Europe, to match companies with investors, venture capitalists, private equity funds, and potential buyers.
Focus areas: Merchant Banking, CFO, Financial Consultation, Angel Investing, Venture Capital, Financing, Angel/Seed Funding
2015 - PRESENT
- Managed all aspects of a financial technology (fintech) startup, which allows professional financiers, borrowers, and advisors to discover and connect via a global marketplace.
- Sourced, structured, and negotiated convertible debt funding.
- Originated a marketplace idea and designed a platform, using a combination of knowledge of financing mechanics and the interactions between the global network of borrowers and financiers gained over 20 years in the international finance industry.
- Sourced, structured, and negotiated financing transactions of $10 million to $500 million to assist corporates connect with family offices, banks, insurance companies, investment funds, and private equity firms worldwide.
Focus areas: Technology, Finance Strategy, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Debt Financing, Equity Financing, Fundraising, Venture Capital, Angel/Seed Funding
2020 - 2021
Ajlan & Bros Holding Group
- Assessed the merits of Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft Dynamics to select a group-wide ERP system. Selected SAP and proceeded with implementation.
- Prepared group-wide and individual company budgets to forecast financing needs. Reviewed and analyzed debt vs. equity alternatives.
- Set up financial operations for individual companies and the group to monitor spending for each department.
Focus areas: Accounting Systems, Investments, Equity Financing, Venture Capital
2016 - 2018
Pebble Labs, Inc.
- Managed the financial aspects of a biotechnology startup that's building novel platform technology to control virus-based diseases.
- Aligned the technology to focus on addressable markets for mosquito-borne diseases including Zika and Dengue, crop diseases, and aquaculture in order to commercialize and monetize the opportunity.
- Prepared financial model, cap table, pitch decks to attract investors from Canada, USA, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Strategy, Budgeting, CFO, Angel/Seed Funding
2017 - 2017
Fintech Fundraising Advisor
Mobility Capital Finance (via Toptal)
- Built a financial model to project the company's cashflow requirements and associated funding over the next three years.
- Audited the company's accounting set up and recommended changes for the better management budgeting of expenses.
Focus areas: Financial Model Auditing, Projected Cash Flow, Accounting Systems, Financial Modeling
2007 - 2014
Global Deputy Head of Financial Structuring
- Worked as a member of global management team tasked with the build-out of the front-office global—structuring functions and infrastructure for a new investment bank owned by Russia’s second largest banking group. Worked closely with the global heads of the debt and equity markets, investment banking, and asset management.
- Structured, innovated, and executed of all non-flow/non-vanilla financing and derivative transactions including structured debt finance, equity-backed financing, treasury liability management, liability-side derivatives, and structured investor products across all asset classes. Transacted across global jurisdictions for global client set with special emphasis on emerging markets.
- Hired and managed over 60 professionals across offices in Moscow, London, Dubai, Singapore, New York, and Hong Kong.
- Managed and was held accountable for a revenue budget over USD 1 billion revenues plus key performance indicators (KPIs) including product development, platform build-outs, balance sheet growth, RWA improvement, ROA increases, operating efficiency, asset distribution, and credit mitigation.
- Handled and was responsible for the asset and liability-side derivatives across all asset classes for investor clients in global financial centers, corporations, financial institution, and sovereign clients.
- Drove the derivative business strategy and corresponding business plans for global markets businesses, promoted efficient regulatory capital usage and capital allocation across the firm, assessed market risk and credit risk taking across client and product lines, and championed new product development.
- Implemented relevant firm-wide infrastructure including trade capture and reporting systems, compliance requirements, credit risk procedures, market risk parameters, back office functions, and legal frameworks.
Focus areas: Cash Flow Forecasting, International Finance, Corporate Finance, Pitch Decks, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Strategy, Bank Debt Raises
2005 - 2007
Financing and Derivative Structuring and Marketing
Credit Suisse (First Boston)
- Originated all the funding solutions for financial institution clients (banks, investment managers, pension funds, private banks, and insurance companies) across central and eastern Europe.
- Structured and marketed unique derivative-based solutions to asset and liability risk managers.
- Marketed yield enhancement structures across FX, interest rate, credit, equity, and commodity asset classes.
- Developed local market investment and trading ideas for London-based hedge funds sales team.
Focus areas: Financial Restructuring, Financing, Derivatives
2003 - 2005
ABN AMRO Bank
- Structured asset and liability derivative products across all asset classes sold into Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa for all sovereign, corporate, and financial institution client sectors.
- Marketed the senior client contacts across the region in cross-asset class “transformational” solutions—including asset liability management, commodity, weather, insurance, equity, and fund-linked structures.
- Managed six London-based derivatives marketers directly and 21 regional treasury sales dotted-line basis.
Focus areas: International Finance, Derivatives
1997 - 2003
Derivatives Structuring and Solutions
- Structured and executed bespoke asset and/or liability derivative solutions using western and emerging market currencies and interest rates for treasury heads, sovereign treasuries, and asset and liability managers.
- Marketed, structured, and executed investor products across asset classes to banks, insurance companies, hedge funds, central banks, sovereign wealth funds, real money accounts, and pension funds.
Focus areas: Asset Liability Management (ALM), Commodities, Credit Structuring, Risk, Foreign Exchange, Interest Rate Risk, Derivatives
1994 - 1997
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Structured and executed bilateral and syndicated debt and equity financings.
- Modeled a client's business operations and financial projections while applying accounting principles, credit assessment, and equity valuation techniques.
Focus areas: Legal Documentation, Industry Analysis, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Risk Management, Private Equity, Loans, Corporate, International Finance
1992 - 1994
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario - London, Canada
1985 - 1989
Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Business Administration
University of Calgary - Calgary, Canada