Verified Expert in Finance
Martin is an investment and finance veteran and a CFA charter holder. He has held the head of research roles on the sell-side, managed investments for a well-known and highly regarded family office and sat on the boards of several public companies. Martin is also the founder and investment manager of a boutique investment management firm.
- Assisted with fundraising, introducing the company to investors, brokers, and advisers, and worked closely with the appointed adviser to secure $2 million in capital commitments for first-round then another $3m four months later.
- Provided advice and significant commercial and corporate opportunities.
- Reviewed and contributed to company documents including regulatory filings and press releases.
- Selected for a new position with an exciting business that I have followed for some time and I believe will benefit from my skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Brought in to add capital markets and finance expertise to the board.
- Looked to for my breadth of experience and knowledge supporting diverse growing technology businesses over 20 years.
Founder, Director, Investment Manager
- Launched the business and investment products, established the legal structure, secured regulatory licenses, and contracted with service providers.
- Raised seed capital as well as funding for an open-ended unit trust primarily from sophisticated investors and other investment managers, and created the information memorandum, presentation, and other documentation.
- Analyzed businesses and built models, met executives, researched industries, and assessed opportunities and value.
- Advised multi-site senior care operator on sale of business and assets. Renegotiated a previous deal after modeling implications. Prepared financials, contract schedules, other DD material. Managed lawyers, drove deal to close, prepared financials.
- Engaged with management and non-executive directors of investments discussing business conditions, the capital structure, risk, opportunities, and competition.
- Consulted with family offices on investments and was contracted to work with one office on a pool of investments.
- Published financial commentary contributing market and stock analysis to a well-known online finance platform, establishing and updating a personal blog, adding proprietary research to a buy-side platform; and appearing on television.
- Ranked by Morningstar as the top-performing small and mid-cap fund in Australie in six months to February 28, 2021 - and top five over 12 months.
- Promoted the sale of an insurance premium funding business unit, engaging with investment bankers and internal management to establish and complete the sell-side process at a premium valuation.
- Drove a refreshment of the board of directors, driving the acquisition of new board talent.
- Drove board agenda on a revised business strategy that resulted in the recruitment of a new CEO and refocusing on the critical value drivers of the business.
- Assessed multiple acquisition and investment opportunities reviewing M&A models, including accretion/dilution and synergy cases, as well as draft proposals, and led the investment approval process for the most attractive deals.
- Proposed and supported capital management initiatives to ensure the efficient utilization of shareholders funds, including special dividends and buy-back activity.
Thorney Investment Group
- Helped establish and manage Thorney Opportunities, a publicly traded investment company that increased value at a rate of nearly 17% per annum over nearly five years.
- Identified and seeded assets into Thorney Technologies, an investment company.
- Built an interest of just under 20% in superannuation trustee Diversa before the Company's acquisition by a more significant financial services player.
- Identified and invested in many successful technology investments including "buy now, pay later" financial technology company Afterpay and online moving platform Updater.
- Represented Thorney in negotiations relating to several distressed businesses, investing in the successful turnaround of consumer brand company Pental, which held a portfolio of well-known brands in categories like bleach and soap, but faced execution and capital structure challenges.
Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance
Finsia - Melbourne, Australia
Bachelor of Arts Degree in History and Economics
University of Melbourne - Melbourne, Australia
Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors
Australian Institute of Company Directors
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)