Philadelphia, PA, United States
Member since August 22, 2016
Martin has helped numerous private equity owned and quoted companies in the $300m to $2bn revenue range to solve complex problems, and assisted a number of startups in accessing traditional bank funding and public sector support. Martin freelances to focus on high impact strategic projects and complex financial issues where he can add the most value. He is particularly strong in assessing competing options for top line and margin growth.
- Senior Associate | Consultant2009 - PRESENTFreelance Strategy Consultant
Focus areas: Financial Modeling & Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Implemented the footprint optimization for a $1bn revenue European operation of a US packaging manufacturer—addressing in one DCF valuation model the questions of how to shed unprofitable customers, maximize capacity utilization while maintaining spare capacity for seasonality, optimize on fixed costs, and reduce future CAPEX while retaining enough volume to maximize EBIT.
- Crafted DCF valuation models of upside and risk of different strategic growth paths for several clients in $500m to $2bn revenue range with product and sales channel buildup.
- Built a financial model of alternatives for entering an eCommerce channel for (separate) $1bn revenue manufacturing firm; DCF valuation models of upside and risk of different strategic growth path.
- Made financial models of repricing opportunities for a large manufacturing client—modeling the effect of different price increases on volume, revenue, cost, and future CAPEX under different elasticity assumptions.
- Integrated market research and primary consumer research into financial assumptions. (The above projects summarize the past 18 months.).
- Completed also numerous strategic projects for a number of private clients and non-profits, as well as financial modeling projects to support capital-raising efforts for growth businesses. (One is summarized below.).
- Crafted a financial and operational model with week-by-week financial statement and cash flow projections to support a bank financing application for a client purchasing real estate to grow an agribusiness company.
- Currently working as part of the team at TRC Advsiory during relevant projects and am freelancing the remainder of the time.
- Economic Advisor to MP on Treasury Committee2012 - 2012House of Commons
Focus areas: Revenue & Expense Projections
- Provided fiscal analyses of potential new policy proposals.
- Conducted economic and fiscal research to inform the questioning of the Governor of the Bank of England and Chancellor of the Exchequer at Treasury Select Committee hearings.
- Analyzed previous fiscal rationalizations in Sweden and Ireland to compare to UK Treasury plans at the time to balance the budget by 2020.
- Conducted research to inform the questioning of the Chief Executive of Barclays Bank during the Libor scandal.
- Analyzed other economic policy issues as required.
- Analyst2007 - 2008MacArthur & Co
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Capital Structure Analysis, Fundraising, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Ratio Analysis, Market Research
- Built valuation models for firms seeking private placements of GBP 5m to GBP 100m or IPOs on London's AIM market.
- Authored investment memorandums for clients ranging from pre-revenue to GBP 500m revenue companies.
- Performed comparable company and comparable transaction analysis.
- Researched prospective investors.
- Identified and analyzed potential acquisition targets.
- Policy Representative2006 - 2008Forum of Private Business
Focus areas: Grant Writing
- Represented 25,000 UK small and medium-sized businesses on public policy issues—advocating FPB's stance in Westminster to MPs, government ministers, and policy managers in UK government departments, and in Brussels to the Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) and policymakers in the European Commission (the policy-initiating body of the EU which legislated on areas affecting UK small businesses such as employment law and the removal of barriers to cross-border trading in Europe).
- Was quoted or interviewed several times by newspapers and UK television stations, including 3 live television interviews.
- Helped prevent additional employment regulation from the EU.
- Helped influence changes to a UK government public procurement policy—according to which the government now sets a target for the percentage of contracts that should be awarded to small and medium sized businesses.
- Lobbied in Brussels in favor of the landmark Services Directive, which aimed to complete the internal market in services and enable services providers to compete across borders without competitive disadvantage vis-a-vis local firms. Providers of physical goods largely already enjoyed this ability.
- Researcher2005 - 2006Dow Jones Venture One
Focus areas: Investor Communications
- Researched UK and continental European venture capital firms and VC-funded startups.
- Collected data on new rounds and funds raised.
- Contributed to the authoring of a quarterly report on the state of the European VC market.
- Spoke directly with investors in startups in English, French, and German.
- Covered UK, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
- Choosing the Right eCommerce Business Model to Sell Your Product (Publication)As retail continues to shift online, businesses and manufacturers are faced with ever-growing pressures to build serious online presences and distribution. This article looks at the different options available, and assesses their merits and considerations from a financial standpoint
- MBA in Business Administration2011 - 2013London Business School - London, UK
- Master's degree to be completed (cumulative GPA 3.93) in Economics2010 - 2011Johns Hopkins University - Washington, D.C. (USA)
- Bachelor's degree with first class honors in European Studies (Economics, German, French, & EU History/Politics)2000 - 2004Royal Holloway, University of London - London, UK