New York, NY, United States
Member since July 24, 2017
A private equity investor turned entrepreneur, Ori comes with M&A, PE, VC and operating experience across the US, Europe, and Africa. Following his MBA from Harvard Business School, he most recently founded The Antilles Company—an eCommerce startup whose operations span five countries and three continents. Having transitioned out of day-to-day operations, Orinola advises growth companies on strategy, fundraising, GTM methods, and operations.
- Co-founder + CEO2013 - PRESENTThe Antilles Company
Focus areas: Fundraising, Startup, Go-To-Market Strategy, Operations, Supply Chain, Global Expansion, Product Company, Three Statement Operating Model, Distribution, Unit-level Economics, Pricing Strategy
- Led the company from inception to market, including capital raising, team construction, operations, strategy, finance, global expansion, and the establishment of its supply chain.
- Constructed investor materials (presentations and three-statement financial model) and go-to-market strategy as well as led negotiations for a successful Series A round.
- Built an international distribution network that included strategic showrooms, eCommerce, and over 600 independent sellers spanning four countries.
- Built a global supply chain and sourcing organization across Southeast Asia (China, Korea), Europe (Greece, Turkey), and EMEA.
- Won Harvard Business School's Global Best New Venture Award.
- Chief Economist & Special Infrastructure Advisor2010 - 2011Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Project
Focus areas: Capital Structuring, Valuation Analysis, Market Opportunity Analysis, Fundraising, infrastructure project, Strategic Investments, Chief Economist, Investment Decision-making, Capital Negotiations
- Evaluated, analyzed, and made strategic recommendations on all special situation investments on behalf of the CEO. Special situation projects were defined as those valued in excess of $4 billion, as well as all horizontal/strategic expansion opportunities.
- Conducted market research, financial modeling, financing options analysis, offtake options analysis, and more as part of the execution, financing, and construction of a new $8 billion liquefaction and floating regasification plant in Nigeria.
- Conducted similar market research, modeling, financing options analysis, capital markets assessment, and assembled a recommendation memorandum for the expansion the company’s LNG vessel/fleet, valued at $420 million.
- Served as Interim Chief Economist for the organization.
- Authored a 130-page research report and made a strategic recommendation on the investment prospects for the creation of a domestic liquefied petroleum gas industry, to be executed in partnership with the Federal Government.
- Chief Restructuring Officer2010 - 2010Radiation Therapy Services, Inc.
Focus areas: Financial Restructuring, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Revenue Optimization, Sale Lease Back Transaction, Underperforming Asset Divestitures
- Designed and executed the $40 million cost restructuring strategy for RTS, as approved by the board. Achieved $38 million in cost-savings, with direct pass-through to EBITDA.
- Restructured and renegotiated 176 physician contracts; and led negotiations, financial modeling, and sell-side due diligence for the successful divestiture of 60 underperforming freestanding therapy centers.
- Negotiated and executed $35 million sale-leaseback transaction of RTS’ the Nevada freestanding centers' real-estate assets.
- Redesigned 2010 strategic roadmap for the company, and screened new management team (CFO and Chief Strategy Officer) that would lead its execution.
- Private Equity Investor2008 - 2010Vestar Capital Partners, LP
Focus areas: Leveraged Buyout Model, Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation Analysis, Operations Finance, Market Opportunity Analysis, Financial Restructuring
- Evaluated and executed new and follow-on investment opportunities in consumer and healthcare industries as part of Vestar’s $3.7 billion fund.
- Drove all aspects of the investment process, including deal origination, development of investment thesis, financial modeling, capital markets/financing assessment, presentation to investment committee and deal execution.
- Managed cross-functional teams of external advisors through financial, operations, market and strategic due diligence as part of leveraged buyout process.
- Facilitated sale & purchase agreement process; oversaw debt structuring discussions with lenders; and oversaw key transaction documentation, including sale & purchase agreements, merger agreements, management incentive plans, shareholders’ agreement and others.
- Executed, alongside Vestar Resources Group (in-house operations and consulting arm), the restructuring of two portfolio companies, optimizing both revenues and costs.
- Select Transaction Experience: Closed $1.5 billion LBO and merger of Unilever’s North American laundry assets with Sun Products, Inc.; and $1.1 billion merger between RTS Inc. and Vantage Oncology.
- Select Portfolio Experience: Led the roll-up acquisition strategy for a healthcare portfolio company, which included the sourcing, negotiation, diligence and acquisition of 17 separate, smaller entities.
- Served on the boards of three Vestar portfolio companies.
- M&A Analyst2006 - 2008Lehman Brothers, Inc.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Leveraged Buyout Model, Financial Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Credit Analysis, Market Research
- Prepared investment memorandums and credit memos for large-cap leveraged buyout transaction.
- Performed credit, valuation and merger analyses—merger models, LBO models, accretion/dilution models, sum-of-the-parts analysis, and others—as part of assessing and financing a range of buyout transactions.
- Conducted business, industry, market and financial due diligence on acquisition targets on behalf of the bank, private equity and corporate clients.
- Created a pitch book for corporate finance and M&A deals.
- Managed client responsibilities with some of the world's largest private equity funds.
- Drafted credit committee materials and recommendations ahead of IPOs, M&A and LBO transactions.
- Executed numerous transactions including, $1.7 billion LBO of GNC Inc. and $1.5 billion sale of USIS, Inc.
- Effective Startup Boards: What They Are and How to Build Them (Publication)Depending on your perspective, type, and motivation, the idea of building a board of directors either excites or intimidates you, complete with all associated imagery of aged oak rooms, brief-case wielding titans, and expensive cigars. This article, by Toptal Finance Expert Orinola Gbadebo-Smith, sets out to debunk a few myths. It sheds light on boards as a construct, their workings, dealings, and nuances, and explores some battle-tested strategies for recruiting, building, and managing effective boards.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in General Management2011 - 2013Harvard Business School - Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Economics2002 - 2006Dartmouth College - Hanover, New Hampshire