Founder2019 - 2020Freelance
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, Profitability Analysis, Financial Reporting, Financial Management, Budgeting, Cash Flow Management
- Identified a cash flow shortage for a client and developed and implemented a cash flow tracking process to flag future shortages on a timely basis.
- Developed a budgeting process and an integrated budgeting model for a client to allow it to formalize its budgeting process.
- Designed a pricing model to allow a client to analyze and compare pricing options.
- Created a financial reporting framework to streamline reporting and introduce more meaningful KPIs, allowing the client to better understand its current profitability and critical drivers of profitability and growth.
- Reviewed a budget prepared by an NGO for a donor, highlighting additional project and administrative costs they were entitled to recover.
CFO2014 - 2019Akros, Inc.
Focus areas: Audits, Financial Reporting, Financial Management, CFO, Non-governmental Organizations (NGO)
- Introduced contract management processes to identify and mitigate risks of new contracts and to monitor these throughout implementation, which served as a critical driver to enable the achievement of profitability.
- Strengthened systems and processes that allowed the organization to pass 11 donor audits and obtain clean opinions on its external audits every year.
- Established management reporting, budgeting, and forecasting to support decision making, and provide long-term visibility.
- Provided cross-functional training sessions for all staff in a number of areas, including project management, finance processes, personal finance, and Microsoft Excel.
- Upgraded financial software and introduced new software to streamline finance processes and reporting.
- Built and mentored a finance team that now operates with limited day-to-day oversight.
- Reduced the timetable for external audits from 15 months year-end to two months.
- Helped drive growth, increasing income by over 100% in four years.
Group Financial Controller2009 - 2014Melrose Resources, Plc.
Focus areas: Cash Flow Management, Strategy, Audits, Financial Modeling, IFRS Financial Reporting, Financial Reporting, Interim CFO, Financial Management
- Redesigned the monthly financial reporting pack for the board of directors, assessing, constructing, and distributing critical information and KPIs.
- Streamlined the head office finance function, reducing staff requirements by 30% through automating systems, eliminating unnecessary tasks, training staff, and redistributing roles.
- Developed the group’s internal audit framework, manual, and plan.
- Acted as the Melrose representative in identifying and implementing a financial software solution for the group post-merger.
- Established the group's subsidiary in Romania, including hiring finance staff, setting up bank statements, and appointing tax advisors.
- Led the finance aspects of the group's disposal of its US operations.
- Led the head office finance function, as well as the oversight of finance teams in local offices in Egypt, Bulgaria, Romania, and the United States.
- Led the IFRS accounting adjustment requirements on the group's merger, presenting these to the board and obtaining buy-in from the external auditors.
- Led jointly the integration of the finance departments when Melrose Resources merged with Petroceltic International.
Associate Director1997 - 2009KPMG
Focus areas: Refinancing, IPO, Initial Public Offerings, Cash Management, IFRS, Audits, Management Reporting, Financial Reporting, Chartered Accountant (CA), Financial Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Established KPMG’s M&A modeling practice in Scotland and led successful IPOs on the main London Stock Exchange and on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM).
- Led the UK reporting accountant role on Heineken's joint £7.8 billion acquisition with Carlsberg of Scottish & Newcastle, as well as Melrose Resources' $265 million acquisition of Merlon.
- Developed a turnaround plan for a client and helped them implement it during a six-month secondment.
- Led financial due diligence for clients across industries including banks, corporates, public sector entities, and private equity houses, and operated in a range of sectors, including oil & gas, public sector, manufacturing, and biotechnology.
- Seconded to KPMG's Philadelphia office for two years, managing the external audit of AstraZeneca's North American operations.
- Developed a financial model to allow a client with growth driven via modular bolt-on acquisitions to assess the timing and impact of 15 investments planned in the following five years.