Verified Expert in Finance
Phil is an experienced CFO who overhauls companies and increases EBITDA margin by 5 to 10%. He has completed over $6 billion in M&A and capital-raising transactions for private and public companies worldwide in several industries, including manufacturing, renewable energy, and software. As a CPA and Series 24 licensee, he advises companies on how to maximize value. Phil uses his over 15 years of financial experience to bring out-of-the-box solutions to his clients.
5-Year Plan Board Presentation
Detailed Cost Analysis in Manufacturing
Feasibility Study and Financial Modeling (Manufacturing/Greenfield/Fertilizers)
GUILD CONSULTING LLC
- Developed, with input from the client, a monthly financial model. The model was rather complex and allowed for several parameters to be changed.
- Trained the client on how to use the model and how to perform sensitivity analysis. The model was used to apply for a loan with a large financial institution and a Federal Grant.
- Built the model to provide financial data to the client used in the application process for the Federal Grant. As this happened recently, we have not heard back if they successfully obtained the grant.
- Led the accounting and contracts departments for the supplier of cyber solutions to the US government.
- Obtained over $6 million in paycheck protection program funding and developed employee stock ownership and long-term incentive plans to reduce employee churn.
- Developed a plan to diversify the company into the commercial sector, leveraging intellectual property designed for the US government.
- Reviewed the R&D tax credit policy and software solutions accounting practices, resulting in an operating margin increase of several percentage points.
- Conducted product line cost analysis and proposed a restructuring plan, eliminating operating losses of $1.2 million.
- Reduced the audit of US generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) from 10 to 3 months.
- Increased the reporting system accuracy, resulting in a 10% EBIT margin boost.
- Handled all financial responsibilities for a leading soft goods supplier to the aerospace industry.
- Grew the interest charge domestic-international sales corporation dividend from $350,000 to $850,000.
- Increased R&D tax credits by over half a million USD.
- Implemented a receivables insurance program to cover an additional $3 million in international receivables now included in the credit facility borrowing base.
- Renegotiated bank facilities and eliminated personal guarantees required from owners.
- Advised the board on financial and strategic issues, including M&A transactions.
Virgin Islands Next Generation Network
- Handled financial duties for a startup, middle-mile government-owned optical services telecommunication firm with $100+ million in grants.
- Ensured that NOAA did not terminate close to $100 million in ARRA grants due to mismanagement by the previous administration.
- Deployed a new ERP system with MS Great Plains while building the network over several islands, issuing requests for proposals and approving contracts.
- Developed procedures and processes in line with Government guidance to comply with grant conditions.
- Reported regularly to the Virgin Islands Senate on the company's progress in completing the network and staying under budget.
- Developed multi-year financial projections and budgets to raise over $30 million.
- Completed the equipment analysis and developed manufacturing COGS for CIGS and a-Si manufacturing technologies. Developed solar farm models for a 5MW deployment in New Jersey.
- Negotiated a manufacturing site incentive package resulting in over $100 million in tax and manufacturing incentives.
Sweerts & Vaas LLC
- Registered as the broker dealer with FINRA CRD140507 and was responsible for the Series 24 or securities principal. Oversaw compliance as the broker dealer. Completed over 10 transactions during that period covering several industries.
- Raised over $30 million for Skypoint Solar, a solar startup manufacturer of CIGS and a-Si panels. Negotiated with a Chinese investor to develop the technology.
- Advised the Skypoint Solar CEO to integrate into solar parks vertically. Developed several parks, including a 1MW facility in New Jersey.
- Developed a business plan and raised seed funding of $150,000 for a micro-hydraulics company based out of Portland, Oregon.
CEO of NJNC | Co-head of Global Corporate Strategy | CFO of Divested Units
- Developed a new business plan for NJNC and returned the subsidiary to profitability in less than two years. Venerated $10 million in federal programs and obtained $2 million in state funding.
- Participated in the $4.7 billion acquisition of Chromatis and managed a staff of 20 located in different countries.
- Performed international and US post-merger integration activities as well as spin-outs of businesses within Lucent.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Boston University, Questrom School of Business - Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Master's Degree in Engineering Sciences
Royal Military Academy, Polytechnic Division - Brussels, Belgium
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
State of New Hampshire
Series 24 – General Securities Principal Exam