- Investment Director Private EquityCobepa2011 - 2016
Focus areas: Board of Directors member, Deal Sourcing, Deal Execution, Portfolio Monitoring, Portfolio Analysis
- Executed four acquisitions for a total value of €850 million (in France, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg). Responsibilities comprised valuation, supervising due diligence, and assisting in contract negotiations (e.g., SPA, shareholder agreeements, management incentive packages, bank financing), as well as the design of the fiscal structuring in close collaboration with advisers, lawyers, and accountants.
- Executed a €1.5 billion merger of two private banks in Belgium. This merger was fueled by a benchmarking analysis in the European private banking sector that pinpointed the need to scale businesses in a very competitive and steadily internationalizing sector.
- Carried out extensive portfolio work in addition to regular monitoring, e.g., comprehensive market research (regulatory, political framework, competitive landscape, trends) of Germany’s childcare sector to assist in the international expansion strategy.
- Originated two deals in the DACH region, drawing on a network of former colleagues, INSEAD business school, investment banks, lawyers, and M&A boutiques based in the region as well as my strong communication skills.
- Investment ManagerEnfinity2009 - 2010
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Project Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Feasibility Study
- Developed business outside this startup’s home base, assessing major European renewable energy countries in close collaboration with local developers and engineers.
- Successfully led acquisition of SPVs for 18-MW solar parks (€13 million) in France: Performed valuation, conducted negotiations with the vendor, and sought optimal financial structure.
- Analyzed the financial viability of photovoltaic projects in development and managed application processes for tenders (analyzed total capacity of 300 MW) in France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
- AssociateJ.P. Morgan2007 - 2009
Focus areas: Advisory, Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions, due diligence
- Coordinated and reviewed business and market data; conducted relative equity contribution and valuation analysis in the context of a merger of leading CEE dairy players ($6 billion).
- Built an operating model, integrated due diligence findings, and provided valuation and accretion/dilution analysis to a leading quoted apparel player in the attempted acquisition of a private competitor (€2 billion). Prepared material for the client’s board of directors.
- Prepared client presentations and explored ideas of advisory services. Conducted research on companies and specific industries (e.g., food and apparel retail, dairy, and fresh produce).
- Financial AnalystPricewaterhouseCoopers2004 - 2007
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Valuation, Financial Modeling, Restructuring
- Conducted business plan review and prepared presentation for debt providers in coordination with the management team in the context of an MBO (€200 million) of a European airport ground handler; advised in subsequent add-on acquisitions (totaling €20 million).
- Conducted valuation of acquisition target in the publishing sector, integrated due diligence findings, and prepared materials for the investment committee of a private equity client.
- Performed a thirteen-week cash flow analysis of a distressed construction company for application of new funds by existing and new shareholders and grace periods by debt providers.
- Built a financial model and conducted valuation of strategic options to contract termination and related sensitivity analysis.
- Built a financial model to evaluate funding needs for collection and recycling of lamps in European member states, and wrote a manual on how to use the model.