Verified Expert in Finance
As CFO and shareholder of a medical device company, Randy validated and managed strategic projects, overseeing the company's growth by more than twofold. Under his leadership, its creditors were paid 20% faster than scheduled, and in late 2016, the company was sold to a subsidiary of AB Investors Group. He enjoys leveraging his entrepreneurial experiences to advise clients on matters of corporate finance, budgeting and working capital management.
- Designed a multi-platform project management software application that assists property improvement pros by saving time with their daily activities; including strategic partnerships, GC Reno has access to over 6,000 pros throughout Canada.
- Formed strategic partnerships with the national realtor association and a national remodeller pro network based in the US—rolling out the pilot program within selected metropolitan regions, such as Chicago, Raleigh, and Boston.
- Successfully raised pre-seed capital to support the startup's vision.
Investor, Board and Interim CFO
Sports IQ Analytics
- Built financial models to assess cash flow activity and customer contract values for operating and capital finance strategic purposes.
- Oversaw from end-to-end investor capital raise activity and successfully closed rounds.
- Operated as the interim CFO to assist management on an as-needed basis.
Dorel Industries (TSX: DII.A, DII.B)
- Spearheaded the implementation of new IFRS 16 standards.
- Designed and implemented IFRS 16 software training resources to be adopted by the Dorel finance department across the globe.
- Reviewed Dorel's leases, a $195 million line item as of Q1 2019, and their monthly and quarterly financial reporting impact.
- Assisted in the search for angel investors to launch operations and obtain investments in the initial funding round.
- Consulted on shareholder and fundraising agreements and designed the capital structure for the angel investment and seed fundraising rounds.
- Led a debt finance raise to support growth initiatives.
- Built financial models for management guidance and assisted in external fundraising efforts, helping the organization manage and forecast its double-digit month-over-month growth.
Product Design Group, Inc. (PDG)
- Restructured debt-financed capital to support the double-digit revenue growth initiatives.
- Guided management in implementing a financial dashboard to highlight better its financial performances for the board members and senior management.
- Led the negotiations with key vendors to control production costs, which led to an average savings of 10%.
- Built a market landscape report for the sales management team to better quantify the organization's market position and share.
- Updated 1,000+ SKU details in the ERP system to improve the accuracy of product descriptions and unit costs, helping to enhance customer service billing accuracy and resolution of customer inquiries.
- Built a pricing model to better account for foreign exchange volatility.
Senior Finance Consultant
- Built a KPI dashboard and financial models for weekly and monthly institutional investor updates.
- Analyzed internal department processes and operations and provided insights to senior management that improved productivity, including migrating IT systems to the parent company and onboarding software applications to manage expense processing.
- Rebuilt the financial budget for internal management purposes.
- Wrote financial reports to integrate the financial information from a subsidiary with the parent company ERP system.
- Built a financial model for a 5-year historical balance sheet and P&L variance analyses. The model adjusted for non-recurring and non-related business items to better reflect business operations.
- Advised the team on consumption tax differences between the US and Canadian markets.
Advanced Health Care Products, Inc.
- Designed financial models to analyze historical and projected financial positions.
- Identified trends and provided recommendations to maximize profitability.
- Presented investment decks to raise, restructure, and negotiate the financing for operational and growth purposes.
- Implemented currency exchange trading policies to hedge currency risks with international transactions.
- Built analytical tools to value and assess the viability of various initiatives, including reviews of domestic and international M&A, multi-divisional corporate restructurings as well as a review of the product portfolio.
- Designed and implemented pricing models for all product lines, which consisted of 1,000+ offerings.
- Managed market research initiatives that would better position the organization over the long term better, e.g., a database on new market opportunity, R&D tax incentives, and local and regional product reimbursement programs.
Auditor | Tax Analyst
- Conducted a GAAP and IAS financial statement audit and reviewed engagements in the real estate, retail, manufacturing, distribution, not-for-profit, healthcare, and software sectors.
- Developed statistical audit mandates for organizations that had received government subsidies and funding. The statistics were the non-financial covenants set with the respective government agency.
- Prepared personal and corporate tax returns.
Chartered Accountant in Accounting
Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants - Montreal, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
John Molson School of Business, Concordia University - Montreal, Canada
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Certified Public Accountant (AICPA)
American Institute of CPA
Certified Public Accountant (Canada)
Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada