Verified Expert in Finance
Richard is a Columbia MBA and CFA charterholder with 13 years of experience helping C-level executives at Fortune 500 companies. His work includes competitive benchmarking, KPI identification, budgeting, strategic planning, and linking plans to compensation targets to drive employee behavior tailored to a client's unique culture. Richard enjoys freelancing because he is passionate about aligning pay for performance and helping companies and those who work for them maximize value.
- Led project teams of four consultants on major engagements, developing project plans, conducting executive interviews, preparing C-suite and board presentations, overseeing associate consultants, and proposing new projects.
- Designed short- and long-term incentive compensation plans acceptable to investors and proxy advisors while simultaneously achieving strategic objectives and shaping organizational culture.
- Prepared models and presentations for public company board meetings.
- Extracted market expectations embedded in stock prices by decomposing analyst targets and guidance.
- Valued business units to show wealth creation drivers and reallocated shared corporate expenses to these business units.
- Examined acquisitions and divestitures in EVs of $300 million, $500 million, $1.3 billion, and $2.1 billion.
- Valued capital budgeting projects ranging from $20 million to $350 million and ran Monte Carlo simulations.
Institutional Shareholder Services | EVA Dimensions
- Reported directly to the CEO of ISS Corporate Solutions with three direct reports and a revenue of $1.2 million. My primary role was to retain recurring revenue while identifying new leads and prospects.
- Collaborated with executives at Fortune 500 firms, including Ball Corporation, BorgWarner, a large NY-based beverage company, and an MI-based cereal maker.
- Benchmarked KPIs and identified improvement levers, automating this process into a quarterly reporting rhythm.
- Recommended best practices and cost savings opportunities.
- Improved the methodology on adjusted and marginal ROIC and EVA calculations, capitalizing operating leases, restructuring, R&D, and advertising.
- Valued business units for emerging market companies, including on-site projects in Argentina, Brazil, Jamaica, Mexico, Peru, and Trinidad, becoming skilled in currency translation issues and international WACC calculations.
Equity Research Associate
- Covered 16 companies in the gaming and lodging space trading in New York and Hong Kong.
- Published 44 research reports on the sector and specific companies.
- Tracked weekly and monthly economic data, including GGR, for different jurisdictions, building models to examine value creation levers and scenario analyses surrounding market developments and M&A.
- Provided valuable insights to buy-side clients, enabling better-informed investment decisions.
Senior Financial Analyst
- Helped clients benchmark, set performance targets, analyze strategic plans, review M&A opportunities, and assess investor expectations to drive shareholder value.
- Improved the methodology on adjusted and marginal ROIC and EVA calculations, capitalizing operating leases and restructuring expenses, converting accrual accounts to a cash basis, and capitalizing and amortizing R&D and advertising expenses.
- Benchmarked performance on ROIC value drivers, recommending the adoption of peer best practices.
Senior Financial Analyst
Stern Stewart & Co.
- Assisted clients in value-based strategies, planning, corporate financial advisory, and compensation.
- Created a marketing screener ranking each company in the Russell 3000 by ROIC using Bloomberg automatic data updates.
- Examined proxy statements and recommended changes to management compensation structures.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
Columbia Business School - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Commerce
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Series 7, 63, 87, and 89
Securities and Exchange Commission