Board of Directors
2016 - PRESENT
AS Direct Mortgage Capital
- Developed the operating infrastructure for Eastern European launch using acquired technology platforms and other intellectual property.
- Constructed financing vehicle (similar to a covered bond) for newly originated mortgage loans which will lower the cost of funds by over 500 basis points. Formal offering to launch in Q1 2019.
Focus areas: Consumer Lending, Lending, Private Company Valuation, Private Equity Valuation, Financial Technology, Consumer Loans, Home Lending
2017 - 2018
AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation
- Operated a multi-channel mortgage platform with 450 employees across 4 operating locations.
- Architected the strategic transformation of the platform to a better support purchase-money mortgage loans. This included process re-engineering, KPI and milestone redefinition, and alignment of incentives.
- Increased purchase-money loans from 20% to 35% of total business, while the overall market was shifting away from refinancing.
Focus areas: Three Statement Operating Model, Mortgage Operations, Pricing Strategy, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Consumer Lending, Consumer Loans, Lending, Consumer-Direct Marketing, Home Lending, Financial Technology, Operational Finance, Loan Origination, Mortgage Servicing, Financial Modeling, Profit & Loss (P&L), P&L Forecasting
Head of Mortgage Operations
2015 - 2017
BNY Mellon, N.A. (NYSE:BK)
- Led national retail origination and servicing activities across multiple locations, achieving a 35% CAGR in the Private Banking mortgage portfolio.
- Built a correspondent channel within Private Banking to accelerate portfolio growth and promote cross-sell opportunities for Wealth Management.
- Worked with Treasury team to develop alternative funding strategies, including inter-bank participations, Fed BIC program, Federal Home Loan Banks membership, and secondary market strategies. This resulted in an additional $5 billion in liquidity for The Bank of New York Mellon.
- Re-engineered the pricing engine and built a concession tracking system.
Focus areas: Home Lending, Wealth Management, Pricing Analysis, Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR), Financial Regulations, Mortgage Operations, Consumer Lending, Consumer Loans, Product Strategy, Mortgage Servicing, Asset-backed Securities, FHLB, Correspondent Lending, Private Banking, Intercompany Accounting, Due Diligence, Pricing Strategy
President, Discover Home Loans
2010 - 2015
Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS)
- Directed the company-wide initiative to negotiate, close and integrate the acquisition of the Home Loan Center, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lending Tree (NASDAQ:TREE).
- Operated a consumer-direct mortgage platform with 650 employees across 2 operating locations.
- Developed and implemented distribution strategies focused on Discover cross-sell and purchase-money mortgages.
- Expanded product offering and evolved capital markets capabilities from aggregator to GSE (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac/Ginnie Mae) execution.
- Deployed new consumer-facing web services and upgraded loan origination technology platform.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Home Lending, Lending, Consumer Lending, Consumer Loans, Due Diligence, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Mortgage Operations, Consumer-Direct Marketing, Pricing Strategy, Operational Finance, Financial Modeling, Budgeting, Interest Rate Risk, Profit & Loss (P&L), Financial Technology, P&L Forecasting
Board of Directors
2003 - 2011
Atlantic Coast Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:ACFC)
- Chaired the Audit Committee and served as the Board's financial expert.
- Served on the Compensation Committee of the Board. The Compensation Committee was responsible for setting and monitoring overall compensation for the senior leadership team.
- Served on the Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board. Such committee was charged with identifying, screening and presenting board members, as well as ensuring that the Board followed appropriate governance processes in discharging its duties to shareholders and regulators.
Focus areas: External Financial Reporting, IPO, Capital Raising, Capital Structure, Junior Capital, Corporate Treasury, Interest Rate Risk, P&L Forecasting, Capital Structuring
2008 - 2010
Cypress Property & Casualty
- Directed a strategic review on behalf of the Board to evaluate alternatives to reclaim, deploy, or optimize capital.
- Led the divestiture of the company's retail insurance agency, as the company's focus shifted to direct policy origination. $25 million in annual premium and certain other assets were conveyed in a series of two transactions.
- Oversaw finance, accounting, human resources, and compliance functions.
- Managed catastrophic reinsurance program with on-shore and off shore reinsurance counterparties.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation, Private Company Valuation, Due Diligence, DCF Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Financial Technology, Corporate Finance, External Financial Reporting, Internal Financial Reporting, Three Statement Operating Model, Private Equity, Private Equity Valuation, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Strategic Options, Human Resources
Senior Vice President
2001 - 2008
PHH Mortgage (NYSE:PHH)
- Led PHH’s $8 billion wholesale/correspondent lending platform, focused on community-based financial institutions and realtor-owned mortgage companies, with strategic, operational and P&L responsibility.
- Served on the Operating Committee of PHH Home Loans LLC, one of the largest mortgage joint ventures in the country.
- Oversaw the operations of seven subsidiary companies operating retail loan officer platforms which captured over 20% of the mortgage opportunity within the Coldwell Banker footprint. Grew mortgage conversion rate on buyer-controlled sales from 18 to 22%, with top block satisfaction and on-time closing results.
- Identified, negotiated and closed on the acquisition of CUNA Mortgage, which added $1.5 billion of profitable originations (increasing credit union market share to over 50%) and $6.8 billion of mortgage servicing rights to the division.
- Developed and launched PHH's SEC shelf registration and SPV, which provided the company direct access to the private-label mortgage-backed market, creating liquidity and brand recognition.
- Built and successfully launched the home equity lending division within PHH’s retail origination platform.
- Optimized credit risk and profitability via use of advanced technology, captive reinsurance, and other risk-sharing arrangements.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Due Diligence, Financial Modeling, Profit & Loss (P&L), P&L Forecasting, Mortgage Operations, Credit Risk, Broker Setup, Correspondent Lending, Business Process Outsourcing, Wealth Management, Private Banking, Corporate Treasury, Credit Reviews, Credit Analysis, Home Lending, Consumer Lending, Consumer Loans, Pricing Strategy, Loan Origination, Asset-backed Securities
Senior Vice President
1992 - 2001
Merrill Lynch Credit Corp. (NYSE:BAC)
- Led the pricing, hedging, sale, and delivery of mortgage loans into the capital markets.
- Directed MLCC's agency and non-agency securitization programs. Established a shelf registration program that provided MLCC liquidity and brand recognition. Developed and nurtured institutional investor and rating agency relationships, which competed with a non-agency whole loan execution platform.
- Developed and successfully implemented home, personal and investment financing products/ services with features, pricing, and credit criteria tailored to HNW/UHNW clientele, which were distributed via Merrill Lynch’s retail advisor network.
- Assisted in the operational launch of Merrill Lynch Bank USA, a Utah ILC.
- Directed the sale and outsourcing of MLCC’s $15 billion first mortgage servicing operation and the establishment of a 3-year flow program, having a favorable economic impact of $20 million. Directed the purchase and sale of over $2.5 billion of other mortgage servicing rights.
- Directed diligence and integration in the purchase (June 1996) and sell-side diligence on the sale (July 1998) of Lender’s Service, Inc, which delivered a $35 million gain to ML & Co.
- Led valuation, sell-side diligence and integration for the sale and outsourcing of Merrill Lynch's mortgage lending and servicing business to PHH.
- Implemented quality process management program which culminated in MLCC’s receipt of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Due Diligence, Wealth Management, Corporate Treasury, Valuation, Asset-backed Securities, Business Process Outsourcing, Capital Markets, Product Development, Financial Modeling, Private Banking, Credit Reviews, Credit Risk, Intercompany Accounting, Credit Analysis, Pricing Strategy, Interest Rate Risk, Mortgage Operations, Mortgage Servicing, Product Strategy, Home Lending, Secured Loans, Commercial Mortgage-backed Securities (CMBS), Mortgage REITs
1984 - 1992
- Recognized as an industry specialist in Financial Services and Real Estate.
- Developed extensive experience in corporate finance and both public and private capital placements.
- Coordinated 1933 Act and 1934 Act SEC filings for a number of public companies.
Focus areas: Due Diligence, Valuation, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Private Company Valuation, Audit Management, Control Audits