Verified Expert in Finance
Rudy is a CFO with experience advising finance, operations, and capital investment in high-growth businesses across industries. He has helped raise $10+ million of capital for small companies and closed on $300+ million in debt, equity, and tax equity financing for larger firms. He freelances to leverage his breadth of experience to help entrepreneurs accelerate growth in their small- and medium-sized businesses.
Chief Financial Officer | Chief Operating Officer
- Provided a strategic analysis to CEO that quantified the expected value of products sold through multiple sales channels, including direct-to-consumer and retail, and identified cost drivers for both production and distribution to focus internal efforts on value improvement.
- Implemented a financial planning and analysis to evaluate business opportunities including creating the five-year plan, short-term budget, capital raise forecast, and framework for the analysis of operational productivity.
- Guided the CEO on a sub $5 million capital raise, including determining the terms for equity grants and convertible debt; creating the capitalization table, pitch deck, and pro forma financial model; reviewing the deal docs; and facilitating the conversion of debt to equity.
- Implemented controller activities including monthly accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, cash, inventory, and general ledger management.
- Managed multiple consultant engagements to achieve organizational goals with limited staff resources.
- Created a financial model to identify the drivers of value for proposed products in potential sales channels.
Chief Financial Officer
Ecotrust Forest Management
- Managed finance, accounting, human resources, and administration functions, including the direction and development of the staffs of the controller and office manager.
- Led the development, reporting, and financial management of the investment manager and two private equity forestland investment funds with $100 million AUM, including long-term financial planning, quarterly financial reporting, and individual property investment and divestment analysis.
- Created a financial model and investor presentation materials, supported the diligence, managed external legal and tax counsel, and negotiated terms with tax credit investor for three New Markets Tax Credits transactions totaling ~$20 million in conjunction with three strategic forestland investments. Managed the reporting and compliance obligations for six New Markets Tax Credits financings.
- Prepared and presented to the board of directors and investment committees timely, accurate, and GAAP-compliant financial statements for investment fund management operations as well as manager-managed investment funds.
- Managed the relationship with external auditors for investment funds, including annual engagement, financial statements preparation and testing, impairment testing, and management representation letters.
- Managed fund valuation and impairment testing, coordinating annual third-party investment fund valuation, and asset valuation for two investment funds comprised of nine investment assets.
Director, Investment Analysis
- Created and managed the internal valuation model for a portfolio of nine operating wind farms in the United States.
- Created and managed a portfolio model for a cross-border equity raise on the Toronto Stock Exchange for equity investment in US assets supported by institutional debt.
- Conducted and coordinated due diligence on project and financial contracts with internal and external counterparts for both asset acquisitions and portfolio financings.
- Presented a cross-border portfolio model to three potential retail investment banking teams in Canada in order to support an equity raise.
- Responded to investor diligence questions, prepared marketing materials, helped create the prospectus, and provided support to management for a retail equity investor roadshow.
Manager, Structured Finance
Acciona Energy North America
- Completed the first project finance transaction for an Acciona wind project in Canada—raising CAD$70 million in long-term debt from an institutional lender and managed lender diligence and negotiated key debt terms and conditions.
- Prepared and presented a cash flow projection model and investor presentation to multiple parties for the proposed financing of securitized receivables on a portfolio of existing operating assets.
- Prepared cash flow projection models for prospective wind and solar projects.
- Reviewed and optimized alternative structures for the monetization of tax credits generated from company operations including tax equity partnerships, single investor leases, and leveraged leasing structures.
- Researched, valued, and presented alternative investment opportunities including a portfolio of hydroelectric assets in South America and the monetization of existing operating assets in Canada.
Senior Structuring and Structured Finance Analyst
- Prepared cash flow forecast models for the monetization of tax credits from wind project portfolios, analyzed proposed model structures from tax credit investors, and recommended changes to maximize value to the company.
- Reviewed and optimized alternative structures for the monetization of tax credits generated from company operations including tax equity partnerships, non-levered leasing, and leveraged leasing.
- Prepared cash flow forecast models for wind and solar projects as well as energy contracts to determine project valuation.
- Prepared, analyzed, and reported on the economic impact of existing tax monetization structures to internal stakeholders as well as to external tax equity investors.
- Contributed to the development of new credit scoring models to analyze the financial and business risks of public, private, and government entities and successfully led the implementation of these models in the U.S. business units.
- Produced credit memoranda used to set corporate credit limits, including details about the business and financial risk of potential and existing trading counterparts.
- Served as a lead analyst in the financial and strategic analysis of structured transactions with capital commitments from $10 million to $500 million.
- Produced a quarterly business unit liquidity analysis for a major credit rating agency.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
University of Portland - Portland, OR, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Biology
Carroll College - Helena, MT, USA