Newport Beach, CA, United States
Member since June 5, 2018
Ryan, a Princeton graduate, has worked as a venture capitalist at Altpoint, an investment banker at Deutsche Bank, and as a corporate strategist at Vice Media. He's built financial models, led capital raises and executed $6+ billion in M&A and VC transactions for internet, media, and software companies. He works with entrepreneurs and funds around the world as a freelancer and joined Toptal to continue working on challenging projects.
- Founder2018 - PRESENTRAA Capital
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling & Valuation, Investor & Board Presentations, Business Plan Development, Investment Return Scenario Analysis, Startups
- Founded a company that provides freelancing services to early- and late-stage startups, large businesses, venture capital firms, and private equity funds globally.
- Built a financial model, unit economic analysis, competitor analysis, and budget and fundraising deck for an early-stage international startup looking to raise $10-to-$20 million of capital in the United States.
- Created a valuation analysis, investment memorandum, and term sheet for an international venture capital fund's prospective ~$10 million Series A investment in a financial technology startup.
- Built a revenue model, KPI dashboard, and investor presentation for a private artificial intelligence company updating its top investors on performance, a recent sales strategy shift, product market fit, and future fundraising needs.
- Associate2017 - 2018Altpoint Ventures
Focus areas: Investment Thesis, Early-stage Venture Capital, Investment Portfolio Management, Operations Finance, Fundraising, Financial Modeling & Valuation, Capital Budgeting, Marketplaces, Software, Investment Return Scenario Analysis, Fintech
- Worked directly with the founders of incubating portfolio companies to develop business plans, product market fit, and marketing strategies along with providing financial planning, capital budgeting, financial modeling, and fundraising support.
- Led market research, due diligence, investment thesis creation, and financial valuation analyses for prospective early-stage investments and follow-on investments in a ~$100 million on-demand transportation services company and a ~$200 million big data location-based advertising startup.
- Led the fund valuation and the limited partner and year-end audit reporting for venture capital and private equity portfolios—performing comparable company, discounted cash flows, and sum-of-the-parts analyses for pre-revenue and mature companies.
- Investment Banking Senior M&A Analyst2016 - 2017Wells Fargo Securities
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Leveraged Buyout Model, Transaction Modeling, Capital Structure Analysis, Equity Financing, Debt Raises, Comparable Company Analysis, Private Company Valuation, Retail, Food & Beverage, Real Estate Finance, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), eCommerce
- Created a financial model, merger analysis, and management presentation for the ~$200 million divestment of a subsidiary of a large publicly-traded company to an international private equity fund.
- Built a merger model incorporating multiple financing scenarios for a publicly-traded REIT client purchasing a ~$3 billion asset portfolio from a large diversified REIT.
- Developed a detailed merger model and comparable company analysis for a publicly-traded food and beverage client pursuing strategic public and private company acquisition opportunities.
- Provided financial projections, discounted cash flow analysis, comparable company analysis, and merger scenarios for a large publicly-traded clothing retailer pursuing strategic alternatives including a potential sale of a core real estate asset to provide cash for future deal financing.
- Senior Analyst, Corporate Strategy2015 - 2016Vice Media
Focus areas: Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Corporate Finance, Financial Statement Analysis, Revenue & Expense Projections, Cost Management, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Operations Finance, Profitability Analysis, Digital Media
- Developed the capital budgeting, revenue growth, and cost optimization strategies for agency, television, and digital media business segments.
- Worked with the sales operations to perform large-scale analytics on thousands of product revenue orders to equip salespeople with insights into critical trends of core clients.
- Built a company-wide financial model, including detailed yearly budget and projections for the individual business segments.
- Worked with the corporate development team to provide capital structure analysis and to determine the proforma budget impact of acquisitions made by the company.
- Developed potential synergies and determined the pro forma budget impact of carving out various business segments and strategically regrouping the units based on their overlapping costs and business focuses.
- Investment Banking M&A Analyst2014 - 2015Deutsche Bank
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling & Valuation, Leveraged Buyout Model, Financial Modeling, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Infrastructure, Real Estate, Transportation
- Built a merger model, including the discounted cash flow and leveraged buyout analysis, along with a confidential information memorandum for the sale of a middle-market private transportation company to a large private equity buyer.
- Created a bottoms-up property by property financial model to develop merger scenarios and valuation, along with a comparable company and transaction analysis, for the multi-billion dollar sale of a large publicly-traded real estate company.
- Performed a discounted cash flow and leveraged buyout analysis incorporating net operating losses for the sale of a legacy infrastructure asset.
- Developed a proprietary global M&A research report for company-wide distribution, covering critical macroeconomics trends, themes, and insights on the M&A industry.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics2010 - 2014Princeton University - Princeton, NJ, USA