Verified Expert in Finance
Scott is a seasoned CFO who has led over $250 million of transactions in the energy industry with a specific focus on structured credit and asset-backed finance. In 2011, Scott led and developed the first Alaskan Oil & Gas Tax Credit receivable finance facility which served as the model for all subsequent transactions. At Toptal, Scott hopes to impact additional organizations by sharing the expertise he has amassed over a 20-year career.
Primera Acquisition Book
Pro Forma Model
Corporate Finance Advisor | Contract CFO
Giant Star Capital LLC
- Closed and structured a $50 million asset-based delayed draw term loan for an ASX-listed E&P company.
- Advised top-tier, US-based, multi-billion dollar credit fund on Alaskan E&P opportunities.
- Served as the CFO and managed relationships with private equity/debt sponsors for a Texas-based E&P company.
- Worked as an outsourced CFO for a suburban, Houston-based real estate development company.
- Served as the CFO of a private equity-backed, Houston-based E&P company.
EVP Corporate Finance
Buccaneer Energy Ltd.
- Closed and structured $87.5 million jackup rig acquisition and refurbishment transaction.
- Closed, originated, structured, and negotiated a $50 million asset-based revolving credit facility for use in exploration and production.
- Closed, originated, structured, and negotiated a $50 million hybrid receivable revolver/asset-based term loan facility for use in exploration and production.
- Led the team for all budgeting and vendor payments.
- Negotiated payment structures and contracts with financial and service-related counterparties.
- Originated, negotiated, and structured a $23.5 million public-private partnership preferred equity financing.
- Built all the corporate financial models for the company.
- Led the effort to partner with a large private equity firm to bid on a $400 million asset purchase.
Managing Director - Head of Energy Banking
New Oak Capital
- Structured and raised capital for asset-based lines of credit—including PDP reserve-based senior and mezzanine debt.
- Supervised the oil and gas team (4 analysts and associates) in the creation of pitch books and models for transactions.
- Marketed deals to buy side accounts, including banks, hedge funds, family offices, and pension funds.
- Created complex discounted cash flow models valuing client oil and gas assets.
- Structured solutions for optimal monetization of client assets.
- Originated oil and gas exploration and production mandates, including (1) $55 million acquisition debt/equity finance of E&P company in Trinidad; (2) $40 million acquisition debt finance and structuring of E&P company; (3) $50 million royalty monetization of offshore natural gas assets.
Fixed Income Currency and Commodity Structuring
- Covered all of the Americas' clients in product specialist capacity, including both hedgers and speculators.
- Worked with the investment banking team to provide hedge structuring on the acquisition of a Chilean-based power plant by 2 pension funds.
- Drove the business in structured commodity and currency space through direct client interaction.
- Priced and traded exotic options with structures including structured swaps, notes, and forwards.
- Generated and published trade ideas using relative value and technical concepts.
- Designed and delivered presentations to clients on structured commodities and currencies.
- Focused heavily on emerging market solutions, specializing in Latin America.
Certificate in Valuation
New York University - New York City, NY, USA
Chartered Market Technician in Technical Analysis
Market Technicians Association - New York City, NY, USA
Master's Degree in Mathematical Finance
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences | New York University - New York City, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering
Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD, USA