Athens, Central Athens, Greece
Member since February 13, 2017
Solon has been consistently highly rated in Reuters-Extel surveys as a sell-side equity analyst. In recent years, Greece's economic situation has spurred him to take his career international. As a freelancer, he serves a wide variety of clients from around the world, including the European Commission and the Economist's Intelligence Unit. His main focus is financial analysis and valuation work.
- Consultant2015 - PRESENTSmall Business Institute
Focus areas: Business Plan Development, Business Intelligence, Financial Modeling, Capital Structure Analysis, Angel/Seed Funding, Ratio Analysis, Comparable Company Analysis, Profitability Analysis, Variance Analysis, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Mergers & Acquisitions, Due Dilligence, Budgeting
- Worked on a number of business cases to help small and medium sized businesses reorganize in order to survive in the challenging Greek business environment.
- Mentored two businesses through a generational succession process.
- Involved in the development of a Greek early warning system for troubled companies.
- Helped a number of people retool and repurpose their skills in a challenging economic environment.
- Finance Expert2014 - PRESENTEuropean Commission
Focus areas: Evaluating Business Plans
- Evaluated funding requests for the European Commission's Horizon 2020 program.
- Contributor2011 - PRESENTEconomist Intelligence Unit
Focus areas: Economic Analysis, Political Analysis, Business Intelligence, Business Analysis, Industry Analysis
- Covered the economic and political developments in Greece as they unfold.
- Covered specific sectors of importance to the economy in periodic reviews, including energy, health, and telecom.
- Maintained a review of pertinent regulation.
- Engaged in special projects as per client request including assessing the country's disaster recovery resilience, health related projects, etc.
- Group Strategic Analyst2004 - 2010Titan Cement
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Financial Modeling, Due Dilligence, Strategy
- Built the company's strategy, including target identification, selection, valuation, negotiation, due diligence, and implementation.
- Participated actively in the process of securing a credit rating for the company.
- Involved in the due diligence process through which the company partnered up with the IFC in one of its subsidiaries.
- Senior Equity Analyst1997 - 2004Eurobank Equities
Focus areas: Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Financial Modeling, Portfolio Analysis, Financial Risk Assessment
- Covered multiple sectors including building materials, media, and some food companies.
- Ranked in second and third place in EMEA for his building materials coverage in successive years.
- The Greek Debt Crisis Explained (Publication)After several months of relative quiet, Greece is back in the spotlight as the latest repayment deadline on its bailout debt comes due in July. We take the opportunity to review the root causes of the crisis, what has been happening since it kicked off, and what needs to be done to resolve the situation.
- Master's degree in Political Science2011 - 2014Panteion University - Athens, Greece
- Hansard Scholar in Hansard Scholars Programme1994 - 1994London School of Economics and Political Science - London, UK
- Postgraduate diploma in Management1993 - 1994University of Portsmouth - Portsmouth, UK
- Bachelor's degree in Math1990 - 1993University of Sussex - Brighton, UK
- Certified International Investment AnalystNOVEMBER 2005 - PRESENTThe Association of Certified International Investment Analysts®, ACIIA