COO & CFO2016 - 2018YORK Fze (backed by HSBC Private Equity)
Focus areas: Comparable Company Analysis, Working Capital Management, Pricing Analysis, Capital Expenditure Planning, Budget Controls, Finance Strategy, Financial Systems, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Led the business expansion in Gulf Cooperation Countries (Middle East) and set up including shareholders and distribution agreements.
- Built financial and control systems including inventory and reordering model, thereby improving stock turns and reducing slow-moving inventories.
- Set up the finance and accounting functions to have accounts audited with KPMG as auditors; reviewed and planned the ERP Project implementation, rolling out Microsoft Navision.
- Executed a strategic review assignment for a PE-backed international logistics service provider with $100 million in revenues based in Singapore with subsidiaries in the US, Asia-Pacific, and EMEA.
- Formulated and advised the Board on a strategic reorganization including the relocation and transition of the headquarters from Singapore to Dubai, resulting in significant long-term savings.
Group CFO2009 - 2015Byrne Group (backed by HSBC Private Equity)
Focus areas: Investments, Budget Controls, Financial Reporting, Commercial Finance, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Corporate Finance, Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Co-led the business transformation with the CEO after the 2008 global financial crisis as a change agent.
- Executed a sell-side transaction of the firm as engaged by the shareholders of HSBC Private Equity, resulting in significant upside on the 100% sale of the firm.
- Prepared the information memorandum, business valuations, financial and legal due diligence, data room, shareholders' agreements, and the share purchase agreement.
- Built the financial budget for 6,000 rental equipment assets including generators, compressors, modular buildings, and tower lights, facilitating reviews for utilization and pricing resulting in improved ROI.
- Raised and managed treasury function of $120 million (over 3 years) in facilities with multiple lenders for working capital and acquisition finance.
- Replaced legacy IT systems: Sage 5.5 and Syrinx with Microsoft AX and Sycor ERP.
Finance Director2008 - 2009TECOM Investments - E Hosting Data Fort
Focus areas: Project Evaluation, Budget Controls, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Managed and mentored a team of 6 in the finance and commercial functions.
- Performed evaluation and feasibilities of investments, such as data center acquisitions, and expansion in Dubai and the Free Zones.
- Conducted investment reviews and appraisals for a $20 million, 20,000 sq ft data center facility in Media Free Zone Dubai.
- Negotiated commercial contracts covering costing and pricing for the construction and build-out of a data center.
- Implemented customer-segmented billing and profitability analysis model for a variety of customers including universities, banks, and corporates, thus improving the quality of information on revenues and margins to better support decision-making.
Interim CFO2006 - 2008Acuity Management Consultants
Focus areas: Cash Management, Feasibility Studies, Financial Reporting, Due Diligence, Budget Controls, Financial Advisory
- Conducted financial due diligence of individual operating companies covering 3 years of accounts.
- Prepared the feasibility report for a $150 million landfill and recycling project.
- Conducted business valuations and financial modeling for structuring divestment negotiations.
- Centralized cash management for a multiple-location facilities management business, where cash flow averaged $1 million per day.
- Restructured a finance and accounting team of 6 in the aftermath of a fraud incident, and implemented a budgeting and reporting system for an Australian subsidiary of a Singapore-based company.
- Redefined a joint venture agreement to yield $8 million in additional profit over 3 years.
Finance Director2002 - 2006Topaz Energy & Marine Ltd
Focus areas: Corporate Finance, Investments, Capital Budgeting, Financial Reporting, Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Cash Management, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Co-led the value creation team for shareholders; handled mergers, acquisitions, and divestments.
- Built financial models and performed investment analysis for capital investments, including the purchase of ships.
- Led the financial and legal due diligence exercise in association with Big 4 accounting firms.
- Compiled the information memorandum with lead bankers for private and public offering.
- Raised $60 million for vessel and equipment financing and acquisitions loans from banks, and managed a debt portfolio of $100 million with multiple lenders and banks.
- Prepared IFRS consolidated audited financial statements for the parent and 19 subsidiaries and handled compliance and secretarial functions for Board and shareholder meetings.
Finance Director1993 - 2002Al Futtaim Pvt Ltd
Focus areas: Controller, Cash Management, Financial Accounting, Pricing Analysis, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Systems
- Assisted the Managing Director of Retail in the revival and restructuring of ACE Hardware operations.
- Turned around a loss-making situation to a profitable venture, acting as a change agent.
- Served as the leader of the implementation team for SAP R3 and SAP FI/CO modules for the group.
- Implemented a retail Inventory control system and oversaw re-ordering and ABC analysis, thereby improving the retail gross margins to revenue ratio by 3%.
- Generated 10% additional exchange gains in 2 years through foreign currency risk management in Dubai for purchases made from IKEA Sweden.