Verified Expert in Finance
A Chicago Booth MBA graduate and CFA charter holder, Steve has worked as a financial analyst, investor, and entrepreneur across the US and Latin America. He was a top-tier investment banking M&A analyst (Barclays Capital) with investing experience in both private equity (Sorenson Capital) and private credit (THL Credit). In addition to developing an education startup, Steve advises clients on capital raising, financing, and M&A transactions.
- Founded an education company that creates elective courses for online high schools, focused on new and emerging technologies.
- Managed a team of ten and all aspects of the business including strategy, marketing, curriculum development, and fundraising.
- Secured distribution contracts with independent schools, publishers, state charter schools, and international distributors.
- Raised both debt and equity seed-stage financing.
Director of Finance
- Built and oversaw the finance and accounting departments.
- Executed, structured, and managed the integration of several acquisitions, including raising bank financing to support the acquisitions.
- Prepared annual budgets, financial models, investor presentations, and board materials.
- Structured, underwrote, and monitored investments in senior/unitranche, second lien, mezzanine, and equity securities.
- Originated deal flow through a network of private equity sponsors, investment banks, intermediaries, and entrepreneurs.
- Developed and pursued industry theses in select verticals including education, consumer, digital media, and technology.
- Presented due diligence findings, investment recommendations, and portfolio updates to senior management weekly.
- Assisted internal/external counsel in drafting, reviewing and editing indications of interest, term sheets, and credit agreements.
Associate - Private Equity
- Executed middle-market private equity transactions; tasks included screening, modeling, due diligence, and documentation.
- Prepared and presented materials to the credit committee for debt restructuring and workout situations.
- Assisted portfolio companies with post-investment strategic plans, developing performance metrics, and executing add-ons.
Investment Banking Analyst
Lehman Brothers/Barclays Capital
- Developed financial models to evaluate the valuation and capital structure impact of cross-border mergers, acquisitions, leverage buyouts, spin-offs, joint-ventures, and recapitalizations.
- Performed valuation of companies using discounted cash flow, accretion/dilution, leveraged buyout, purchase price ratio, ability-to-pay, sum-of-the-parts, comparable publicly traded company, and comparable transaction analyses.
- Created Prepared strategic advisory presentations, management presentations, board presentations, pitches, and internal committee memoranda.
- Ranked in the top tier of investment banking analyst class both first and second years; awarded third-year offer.
Master's Degree in Business Administration
University of Chicago Booth School of Business - Chicago, Illinois
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
Brigham Young University - Provo, Utah
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring