Verified Expert in Finance
Tim is an investment advisor who has worked with multiple private equity, venture capital, and investment management firms to analyze and execute investments. He has extensive experience applying his CFA, MBA, and operating experience to investment analysis for venture capital investments, middle-market acquisitions, and small to mid-cap publicly traded businesses. Tim enjoys freelancing because it offers him the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and industries.
Founder | Managing Partner
Darby Creek Capital
- Executed the valuation and business analysis process for an ESG growth equity fund. Built replicable valuation models that included environmental impact measures so the fund could quickly evaluate targets and add a disciplined valuation procedure.
- Analyzed investment targets for a CPG venture capital firm and formalized their investment process. Improving their valuation and investment decision-making process. This project reduced the time to make company evaluations by 75%.
- Served as the CFO of a distressed manufacturing firm—stabilizing the business and improving the financial/operational performance by removing waste from the procedures, reducing the time to enter orders by 75%, and increasing revenue by 25%.
- Guided the leadership team of a brewery through a 5x-production expansion, provided financial analysis and projections to raise capital, and advised the leadership team through the capital raise process.
- Served as a consultant for an industrial cleaning company—increasing the revenue by 33%, earnings by 50%, and reducing employee turnover by 33%—by improving the company's revenue during its slow periods and identifying new industries to serve.
- Managed private equity deals by allowing investors to deeply understand the company's risks and uncovering vital issues to address as part of the transaction. This included improving HR, the leadership team, and securing buy-in from key employees.
- Generated a 20% annualized return using a bottom-up equity research process to find great businesses trading at a discount to value. Creating valuation models, automating data collection with Python, and using a structured analysis process.
- Developed a pipeline of lower-middle market acquisition targets for highly leveraged private equity and mezzanine investors as an independent sponsor. Evaluated targets and managed the deal process to match the right business and capital provider.
- Guided a manufacturing firm through weak sales and cash flow by implementing a 13-week cash flow forecast and fixing the causes of the problem, underutilizing production capacity, and low pricing. As a result, revenues increased 2x in two months.
- Executed deep research and valuation models for a conglomerate of international football clubs. This work led to IRRs of over 20% for investors with low risk due to investing with a margin of safety.
Director of Finance
- Served as a financial operations leader for a healthcare-IT startup. Transitioned it to public ownership through an acquisition, owned the financial performance and developing budgets, and oversaw the operational improvement across the company.
- Selected and managed the accounting teams—developing critical metrics to measure the company's success, forecasting performance, and managing investor relations.
- Developed an analytics team that identified critical metrics for the company to report to its clients. Implemented a replicable and insightful reporting process that improved client insights and reduced the time to produce a report by 75%.
- Spearheaded the response to an acquisition offer, performing internal valuation projects, resulting in closing a merger. Led all financial due diligence by working with the acquisition team to provide detailed insights into the company.
- Managed the series B fundraising while working with the CEO and COO to evaluate the strategic benefits of offers and developing valuation models and pro-forma financials.
Venture Capital Intern
Heritage Group LLC
- Analyzed and researched target companies for potential investment by utilizing company management meetings, industry trend information, comparable transaction analysis, valuation models, and cash flow analysis.
- Developed cash flow and valuation models to evaluate investment opportunities in early-stage healthcare firms on the right side of change in the healthcare industry for a strategic venture capital fund.
- Generated research reports on target industries and identified potential target investments.
State Street Global Advisors
- Managed the development of models to improve the investment process by constructing models to streamline $100 billion of daily trading and $80 billion in daily tri-party repurchase agreements.
- Participated in Federal Reserve meetings on implementing new mandates regarding tri-party repurchase agreements and created new processes for our team to comply with those mandates.
- Researched fixed income security quality using Bloomberg and other tools to ensure they fulfilled investment requirements based on each client's portfolio risk profile.
- Analyzed the cash and security availability for the cash management team by creating portfolio holdings reports, and providing the portfolio managers with cash availability, driving their investment decisions.
State Street Corporation
- Performed daily cash flow analysis for the International Finance Corporation's institutional liquid asset portfolio.
- Earned the "Above & Beyond Award" for exceptional contributions and commitment to high service standards for developing advanced financial models to service IFC's inflation-indexed interest rate swap contracts.
- Developed new models to streamline the workflow for a bespoke financial services team which reduced the time to service the IFC's liquid asset portfolio by 50%.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Strategy
Vanderbilt University - Nashville, TN, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Political Science
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Chapel Hill, NC, USA