Verified Expert in Finance
Tyler, a Columbia MBA, is an investor with years of experience as an advisor and investor at firms including Wells Fargo, Pamlico Capital, and Lionstone Capital. He has led private and public investment activity across industries, including consumer and healthcare, among others. As a freelancer, Tyler looks to leverage his expertise in modeling and due diligence to enable high-value outcomes for entrepreneurs and corporate executives.
Investment Analysis of Publicly-traded Advertising Holding Companies
MBF Healthcare Partners
- Advised multiple, recently-acquired healthcare services portfolio companies.
- Worked with the CEO, CFO, and COO to analyze historical results, identify KPIs and construct financial models.
- Constructed de novo models to evaluate potential new centers/locations.
- Conducted research and performed financial analysis to inform the CEO on the introduction of a new service line.
- Analyzed historical insurance claims data in order to determine direct hourly contribution margins and identify inefficiencies in the business model.
- Participated in senior management discussions regarding strategy, finance and the opening of new treatment centers.
- Prepared materials for board meetings.
Investor and Advisor
- Invested in innovative, direct-to-consumer pet products company via their $486,000 preseed funding round.
- Engaged in regular conversations with the founder and CEO, providing strategic guidance on prospective capital raises, financial forecasting, and modeling as well as giving input regarding growth strategies.
- Assisted in fundraising activities by sourcing and serving as an intermediary between the founder and CEO and potential financing sources.
- Constructed an investment presentation for the upcoming capital raise of an early-stage, Netherlands-based company that is developing an innovative, online platform (website and app) to aid recruiters.
- Held regular conversations with the founder and CEO, providing strategic guidance on go-to-market strategies, growth strategies and the capital raise.
- Illustrated the customer value proposition by (i) identifying key performance indicators (KPIs) for recruiting managers and (ii) performing financial analysis that estimated the improvement in these KPIs from using the new platform.
- Performed a market sizing analysis in order to quantify the company's addressable market.
Mutuo Health Solutions
- Built a three-statement, integrated model for external fundraising efforts for an early-stage Canadian healthcare SAAS company.
- Conducted calls with the CEO, spoke with industry experts and read industry reports in order to construct five-year operating projections.
- Modeled revenue and gross profit by sales channels and performed a customer lifetime value analysis in order to inform the company's go-to-market strategy.
- Constructed the slides for the financial section of the investment presentation.
- Supplied potential investor questions in order to prepare management for their upcoming investor pitches.
- Mutuo won funding to develop their MVP via a seed financing competition.
Buy-side Public Equity Research Analyst
- Generated and assessed prospective investment ideas, covered portfolio stocks, and made buy and sell recommendations as a generalist at a value-oriented long-only public equity investment fund.
- Led the diligence and underwriting processes for investments in the equity of a $12+ billion retail company executing an operational turnaround and a $2+ billion property services company that has generated a 3x+ return on investment.
- Read industry publications and sell-side research reports, built investment screens, and established exclusive relationships with operators in a variety of industries to identify publicly-traded stocks in which to invest.
- Built detailed three-statement financial models, developed investment theses and authored investment memoranda for the investment committee to evaluate potential investments and monitor current positions.
- Constructed diligence lists and conducted calls and site visits with management teams, customers, suppliers, competitors, and industry experts.
- Researched and wrote comprehensive reports on markets and industries including housing, aftermarket automotive retailers, advertising holding companies and human capital management software-as-a-service firms.
Private Equity Associate
- Evaluated investment opportunities and conducted operational, financial and industry-related due diligence as a member of the investment team at $2 billion middle-market private equity firm.
- Worked with the CEO and CFO of a $100+ million revenue consumer products company to evaluate strategic alternatives and identify and model potential acquisitions, assisting in the successful sale of the company.
- Built the financial model, prepared investment committee presentations and memoranda, constructed lender presentations and conducted management, industry, accounting and legal due diligence for a potential $50 million investment in a private cardiovascular surgery center business.
- Built financial models and investment committee presentations for the prospective $40 million follow-on investment for a pharmaceutical portfolio company and an $80 million investment in an industrial services company.
- Conducted financial and accounting analysis and developed presentations to aid senior-level executives in evaluating alternatives and negotiating the $100 million sale of an insurance brokerage portfolio company.
- Assisted in the creation of the model and investment memorandum for a $10 million follow-on investment in a healthcare IT company that generated substantial returns upon a sale to a strategic buyer.
- Reviewed the confidential information memoranda and built detailed, unit-level models to evaluate investments in numerous private healthcare services companies.
- Presented information and led conversations with lenders to determine financing terms for prospective transactions.
Investment Banking Analyst
Wells Fargo Securities
- Advised the special committee to the board of directors of a publicly-traded consumer products company on a potential $100+ million sale to a strategic buyer. Built discounted cash flow ("DCF"), leveraged buyout ("LBO"), and M&A models and performed comparable company and precedent transaction analysis, creating presentations for the board of directors.
- Authored the offering memorandum and lender presentation for the $220 million refinancing of a publicly-traded consumer products company.
- Assisted in the creation of the credit committee memorandum for the financing of a $1.2 billion take-private of a food service company.
- Built models and created strategic alternative presentations for the management teams and boards of several consumer products and retail companies.
- Created and edited pitch books that included financial analysis, models and industry research used in the origination of investment banking transactions.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
Columbia University - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Commerce
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA, USA