Verified Expert in Finance
Val is a seasoned professional with broad experience working as a CFO and COO across various enterprises in Australia, the US, and the UK. He has held senior roles in finance, operations, technology, and product management in startups and established corporates. Having worked with over 100 newly formed and high-growth ventures, Val is now a full-time independent consultant specializing in startups.
Startup Formation and Management
- Developed high-precision cash flow and capital forecasting models.
- Created a sophisticated employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) for C-level executives.
- Prepared successful applications for a range of high-value innovation grants.
- Provided consulting services to startups and high-growth ventures, including developing pitch decks, business plans, financial models, information memorandums, fundraising support, and transaction support.
- Co-founded a highly successful startup providing equity market analytics, with over one million free subscribers and over 100 thousand paid subscription accounts.
- Assisted startups to raise over $50 million in seed and growth capital across various industries and sectors.
CFO | Corporate Adviser
XHQ (formerly X-Company)
- Built the distribution and product development strategy to productize existing service offerings.
- Developed a group-wide executive compensation and incentivization program.
- Created consolidated key metrics and reporting across the group of five businesses operating in different markets and geographies.
- Built the principal commercial finance function with a loan book of $500 million.
- Implemented and managed a mortgage-backed securitization program to finance the principal commercial finance business.
- Managed the acquisition of several vertically aligned businesses, including target identification, due diligence, transaction structuring, and post-acquisition integration.
CFO | Head of Structured Finance
- Managed all aspects of structured finance and securitization, including transaction structuring, investor and rating agency materials, roadshows, execution, and post-transaction management like trust distributions, accounting, and investor reporting.
- Negotiated a structured wholesale warehouse facility with a face value of $500 million.
- Structured and executed a $10 million private equity capital raise.
CFO | Head of Operations
- Sourced and implemented a white label margin lending solution for Schwab Australia stockbroking customers.
- Conducted acquisition analyses of potential targets in Australia and New Zealand, including online stockbrokers, financial planners, and margin lending providers.
- Developed and implemented a range of stockbroking complementary banking products, such as deposit accounts, debit cards, and checking accounts, in conjunction with a prominent local bank.
- Led the project to securitize Schwab's margin loans globally, in conjunction with Credit Suisse First Boston.
Bachelor's Degree (Merit) in Accounting and Information Technology
University of New South Wales - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ASX Broker Exam
Securities Institute Education
Postgraduate Diploma in Securities
Securities Institute of Australia
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
EDP Auditors Association
Chartered Accountant (CA)
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring