- Director of Finance and Operations2017 - 2018Hustle
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Capital Raising, Contribution Margin Analysis, Equity Financing, Financial Systems, Fundraising
- Hired, led, and mentored a team of 12 across finance, accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll and office operations.
- Pinpointed Series A cash-out date (accurate to within 2 weeks), developed 2018 budget and headcount plan ($35 million in total expenses) and informed Series B funding ask ($30 million) by building Hustle’s first multiyear operating model driven by 125 distinct sales and marketing funnel assumptions across 5 target industries.
- Enabled timely execution and close (90 days from first meetings) of $30 million Series B financing by fulfilling business, accounting, and tax due diligence requests for 8 potential lead investors over a 30-day period.
- Improved gross margin from 45% to 60% over 6 months by renegotiating key vendor contracts (e.g., Twilio) and capturing previously lost non-recurring usage revenue.
- Structured compensation plans for 40 quota-carrying salespeople totaling $7 million in annual on-target earnings by collaborating with COO and SVP Sales to align commissions with company ARR targets by industry.
- Director of Finance and Operations2016 - 2017GearLaunch
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Systems, Budgeting, Pricing Strategy, Tax Credits, Accounting, Capital Raising, Equity Financing, Fundraising
- Increased gross margin from 8% to 11% within one month of joining the company by developing a comprehensive cost model and directing Engineering’s implementation of the model into vendor routing algorithm that routed 300K units/month.
- Built GL’s first multi-year financial plan by developing bottom-up revenue model driven by the contribution of 20 new features and 50 new products to seller acquisition, retention, and monetization; the model was used to prioritize product roadmap, develop 2017 budget and establish sales team performance targets.
- Conceptualized, implemented, and managed 100+ seller incentive and referral programs that generated $34 million in gross revenue (39% of total gross revenue) of $2.1 million of incentive spend in the first year.
- Reduced monthly close cycle from 25 to 10 days by hiring and managing a team of 3 external CPAs, establishing reconciliation process for $1.5 million/week of accounts payable and streamlining process for $200,000/month of month-end accruals.
- Reduced 2015 tax burden by 75% (by $600,000) by spearheading change from cash to accrual basis accounting.
- Increased monthly gross revenue by 350% (to $7 million/month) and net revenue margin by 25% in 3 months (Jan-Apr 2017) by revamping pricing for sellers on GL platform; new pricing was a key factor in re-engaging 50% of churned sellers.
- Business Strategy & Finance Consultant2014 - 2015GoldieBlox
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Market Research, Fundraising, Equity Financing
- Informed expansion strategy beyond core business (toys) in advance of $15-20 million Series B raise by analyzing market size, development requirements, economics and competition in toys, mobile gaming, film, TV and licensing.
- Collaborated with executive team to reflect findings from financial model and market research in Series B pitch deck.
- Business Operations Lead, EA Mobile2014 - 2015Electronic Arts
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Profitability Analysis, Revenue Modeling
- Identified $100 million of potential new annual revenue by developing the business case for the creation of a casino suite (slots, poker, etc.); presented findings directly to COO.
- Compared EA’s titles to competitors’ on basis of feature sets, KPIs and financials; prepared financial models and feature enhancement proposals; presented analysis to product managers and EA Mobile leadership.
- Senior Associate, Corporate Development2012 - 2013GREE International, Inc.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Equity Financing, Profitability Analysis, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Comparable Company Analysis
- Sourced, evaluated, executed, and monitored acquisitions of, and investments in, mobile social game studios and mobile ecosystem technologies; led all Corporate Development initiatives in North America at time of departure from the company.
- Completed six transactions, including acquisitions of Funzio ($210 million, May 2012) and App Ant Studios (terms undisclosed, Sep. 2012) and Series A investment in IUGO Mobile Entertainment ($4 million, Apr. 2012); titles produced by way of completed transactions increased GII’s monthly revenue from zero to $20 million within 1 year.
- Enabled development of Knights & Dragons, GII’s most profitable title ($5 million/month in revenue) and Top-5 Grossing game on iTunes and Google Play stores, by building a multi-scenario operating model to inform, and subsequently executing, successful renegotiation of commercial partnership terms with IUGO Mobile Entertainment, a 3rd party developer.
- Led GII’s transaction approval process: prepared analyses of strategic rationale, operational impact and risks, valuation, due diligence, and integration plan; presented to parent company’s board of directors.
- Constructed individual game profitability models to inform negotiation of commercial terms for proposed publishing deals; analysis included sensitivities around game KPIs, marketing spend and royalty structure.
- Analyst, Global Healthcare Investment Banking2010 - 2011Citi
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Equity Financing, Debt Raises, Convertible Debt, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Comparable Company Analysis
- Prepared multi-scenario financial models, internal committee memoranda and client marketing materials in connection with offerings of public securities and private company sales; advised on 6 completed transactions.
- Constructed accretion/dilution model that pinpointed optimal financing mix for Catalyst Health Solutions' (CHSI) acquisition of Walgreens Heath Initiatives ($525 million, Jun. 2011); analysis illustrated immediate accretion from transaction, and resulting financing structure helped CHSI attain 19% share price increase on acquisition announcement.
- Prepared bimonthly presentations highlighting pharma industry market developments, acquisition opportunities (and associated financing scenarios) and other strategic alternatives including divestitures, debt and equity financings, and recapitalizations.
- Analyst, Mergers & Acquisitions2009 - 2010Taylor Companies
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Comparable Company Analysis, Transaction Modeling
- Advised on 12 sell-side and buy-side M&A transaction processes across multiple sectors and geographic regions.
- Prepared financial models, acquisition target searches, offering memoranda and client presentations; routinely presented analysis directly to key decision-makers at client and target companies.
- Identified and quantified $32 million NPV of cost-reduction and revenue-enhancement synergies in sale of Tree of Life to Kehe Food Distributors ($190 million, Jan. 2010); analysis helped Taylor retain last remaining strategic buyer (Kehe) in auction process that began with 70+ potential buyers.
- Constructed accretion/dilution model and assessed transaction interest of 20 potential interlopers by analyzing relevant technologies, product offerings and precedent transactions for ABB's acquisition of Baldor Electric Co. ($4.2 billion, Jan. 2011).
- Conducted 250 strategic interviews with senior management executives of potential counterparties to gauge interest level in transactions and to identify and quantify possible synergies.
- Recruited and debriefed 50 industry experts (e.g., consultants, retired executives, and key customers) to provide Taylor’s CEO, COO, and managing directors with insight into niche industries of transactional interest.