Wan Lung Eng
New York, NY, United States
Member since July 2, 2017
As a finance executive, Wan Lung has executed $75 billion of M&A, equity and debt transactions. Over his 16 years of experience, he has worked in VC & PE and on Wall Street with Deutsche Bank and RBC, advising startups, growth companies, and enterprises. He has also developed his operational skills as COO of a media company. Freelancing allows him to engage with interesting companies and entrepreneurs.
- Consultant2016 - PRESENTWLCG
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Corporate Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Strategic Finance Management, Financial Business Planning, Budgeting, Operations Finance, Financial Benchmarking, Financial Modeling, Investor Communications, Investor Decks, Capital Structure Analysis, Financial Reporting, Investment Thesis, Investment Summaries, Revenue Modeling, Cash Flow Modeling, Capital Raising, Working Capital Management, Acting CFO, Three Statement Operating Model, Valuation
- Developed corporate and operational strategy (emphasis on enhancing bottom line performance, capital structure management, working capital, and shareholder value) with CEOs.
- Directed financial reporting and analysis activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness; provided actionable analysis for financial performance, trends, and long-term forecasts, resulting in enhanced understanding and control of the clients’ revenue drivers, direct costs, and operating expenses.
- Analyzed, planned and executed finance, accounting, tax planning, treasury and risk management processes.
- Reviewed clients’ finance organizations, established new organizational structures, created and recruited new finance and accounting positions, and engaged accounting firms.
- Ensured effective internal controls were in place and compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Supported executive team with key financial information and operational analytics.
- Provided ongoing financial executive leadership to media, technology, business services, and consumer clients.
- Advised corporate clients and financial sponsors on M&A and minority investments in media, technology, education, and renewable energy sectors.
- Advised management and Board-level executives on valuation and execution considerations; reviewed transaction structures with tax/legal counsel and accountants; actively participated in transaction negotiations with various counterparties; provided market and industry updates to client management.
- Raised $5 million Series A capital for a food and beverage company.
- Acted as private placement agent for $10 million Series A capital raise for a EdTech company.
- CFO2017 - 2019Kind Heaven
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Investment Memoranda
- Developed strategy for $100 million capital raise from ultra high net worth individuals, institutions, and EB-5 financing.
- Authored investor presentation and articulated vision and value to potential investors.
- Prepared interactive five-year monthly financial forecast model with easily adjustable key assumptions and the ability to conduct "what if" scenario analysis.
- Developed corporate and operational strategy with emphasis on bottom line performance, capital structure management, and working capital management. Drove the company’s financial planning and analysis and oversaw cash management.
- Investment Partner2017 - 2017CFCG Investment Partners
Focus areas: Private Equity, Early-stage Venture Capital, M&A Modeling, Due Dilligence, Market Research, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Investment Thesis, Investment Memoranda
- Sourced and evaluated growth equity and venture investments in education and education technology sectors in North America.
- Performed business due diligence, prepared financial analyses and valuation, developed transaction structures, determined bidding strategies and led negotiations for prospective deals.
- Drafted investment memoranda detailing investment merits and risks, as well as the company, industry and financial dynamics surrounding proposed transactions.
- Conducted market research and developed sector investment thesis by studying underlying trends and growth drivers as well as macroeconomic factors and their impacts on the industries.
- Maintained and expanded network of industry executives, consultants, accountants and attorneys to gain access to potential investment opportunities.
- EVP (Finance and Corporate Strategy) & COO2016 - 2016OneUp Sports
Focus areas: Growth Capital Raising, Operations Finance, Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Working Capital Management, Valuation, Business Plan Development, Financial Benchmarking, Financial Modeling, Capital Structuring, Valuation Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Corporate Finance, M&A Earn-out Agreements, Investor Communications, Investor Decks, Market Research, CFO, COO, Bank Debt Raises, Three Statement Operating Model
- Oversaw finance, human resources, technology, legal, office operations, and administration functions; developed organization structure and workflow to enhance operating performance. Identified workflow inefficiencies and removed bottlenecks in content production to increase capacity by 30%.
- Managed 4-person team in financial planning, budgeting, accounting, reporting, and M&A activities.
- Redesigned finance operational flow and implemented reporting systems, resulting in more timely, accurate and detailed performance reporting to the board of directors and investors involved in the strategic management of the company.
- Assessed new market opportunities by forecasting market size and developing market overview, evaluated strategic positioning and performed competitive analysis of industry-relevant companies.
- Sourced and prioritized acquisitions, joint ventures, and expansion efforts; prepared strategic rationale; performed detailed financial analysis and valuation; managed diligence process; structured and negotiated key deal points; and developed post-merger integration plans. Resulted in two acquisitions and one minority investment.
- Developed capital raise strategy and secured $4 million of Series B funding from prominent media and entertainment family offices, ultra high net worth individuals (UHNWIs) and a venture capital firm.
- Developed and implemented new editorial and video content products targeted at millennial sports fans, increasing unique views by more than 300% on company’s social media and website and on publication partner's website within three months.
- Structured and executed strategic and operational initiatives by gathering, synthesizing and analyzing key data to drive short and long-term growth objectives; monitored top- and bottom-line progress against the plans to ensure that business units attained pre-defined objectives.
- Senior Vice President2014 - 2016RBC Capital Markets
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Reverse Mergers, Valuation, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Multiples, Equity Valuation, Three Statement Operating Model, Leveraged Buyout Model, Capital Raising, Financial Modeling, Investor Decks, Investor Communications, Equity Raises, Equity Offerings, Equity Financing, IPO, Bank Debt Raises, Debt Raises, Debt Restructuring, Convertible Debt, Senior Secured Debt
- Led coverage of digital media as well as co-led coverage of several companies in the media production and interactive entertainment sectors.
- Developed and maintained corporate relationships with senior management teams and board of directors.
- Led deal execution across M&A, private placement, leveraged finance, and equity transactions.
- Advised Vice Media on $850 million acquisition of H2 cable network and $250 million sale of minority stake to A&E Networks in the largest digital media transaction of 2015.
- Replaced two bulge brackets as sole private placement agent and successfully raised $50 million for Legendary Entertainment from Canadian pension fund within one month of marketing.
- Vice President2008 - 2013Macquarie Group
Focus areas: Private Equity, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Investment Decision-making, Investment Portfolio Management, Investment Thesis, Investment Summaries, Investment Monitoring, Fundraising, Capital Structure, Capital Raising, Capital Markets, Capital Structure Analysis, Debt Workouts, Debt Restructuring, Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Bank Debt Raises, Private Placement, Investor Decks, Investor Communications, Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Working Capital Management, Corporate Finance, Operations Finance
- Originated, evaluated and executed principal investments and M&A advisory in telecommunications infrastructure and media sectors for Macquarie Funds and Macquarie clients.
- Led all aspects of execution, including conducting business due diligence, authoring internal approvals, preparing detailed operating and valuation models, examining term sheets and negotiating deal structures.
- Drafted investment memoranda that detailed investment merits and risks, highlighted company, industry and financial dynamics surrounding proposed transactions, and articulated compelling findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Deployed balance sheet to support clients by investing capital across junior debt and equity.
- Created business development and strategic plans for portfolio companies. Analyzed strategic fit and valuation of potential acquisition targets, reviewed debt agreements and evaluated exit opportunities.
- Advised senior management teams of portfolio companies on strategic alternatives and analyzed potential acquisitions.
- Tackled a variety of corporate finance initiatives, such as the reduction of working capital and the creation of budgets; improved reporting from the portfolio companies to the investors by teaming with portfolio company CEOs and CFOs.
- Led and negotiated the sale of $4.8 billion telecom infrastructure company, achieving the most successful exit among all portfolio companies in the Telecom Infrastructure Fund.
- Restructured and negotiated with banking group on $125 million senior secured credit facilities for newspaper publishing portfolio company.
- Associate2006 - 2008Deutsche Bank Securities
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), IPO, Capital Raising, Private Placement, Leveraged Buyout Model, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Multiples, Equity Offerings, Bank Debt Raises, Debt Raises, Debt Restructuring, Senior Secured Debt
- Developed a comprehensive working knowledge of the analysis, structuring, and execution of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, debt financings, and equity offerings.
- Created detailed financial models to value public and private companies, evaluate acquisitions and buyouts, analyze funding needs, and to assess pro forma impact of capital markets transactions.
- Executed more than $50 billion of M&A and $12 billion of capital markets transactions, generating $80 million in fees that accounted for more than 20% of group’s cumulative revenue over two years.
- Conducted due diligence, and drafted information memorandum and marketing materials.
- Ranked in top 5% of class and awarded Vice President-level responsibilities as a second-year Associate.
- Associate2005 - 2006Wachovia Securities
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), IPO, Capital Raising, Capital Markets, Debt Raises, Equity Offerings, Leveraged Buyout Model, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Multiples
- Prepared financial models, valuation and leverage analyses, board materials, committee memoranda and confidential information memoranda for various M&A, debt financing, and equity offering.
- Designed and built complex financial models to perform valuation, capital structure, and leverage analyses.
- Analyzed industry trends, competitors, customers and business model changes to develop a proactive understanding of market opportunities; performed systematic analyses to deliver solutions to clients.
- Created presentations to pitch products and transactions to clients and investors.
- Executive2000 - 2003CIAS International (Temasek Holdings Group)
Focus areas: Private Equity, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation, Investment Decision-making, Investment Portfolio Management, Investment Thesis, Investment Summaries, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Reporting, Operations Finance, Budgeting, Bank Debt Raises
- Designed strategic plan to develop market overview and evaluate investment opportunities; resulted in bids in excess of $800 million, four executed acquisitions and three joint ventures in Asia, North America, and Europe.
- Created complex operating models, performed financial analysis and conducted due diligence; efforts consisted of reviewing financial records, strategic plans, environmental reports and legal contracts as well as management interviews and industry research.
- Identified and evaluated opportunity to start an air cargo operation in Mexico. Gained Investment Committee’s support and led cross-functional team in capitalizing on this opportunity. Resulted in the incorporation of a $15 million air cargo terminal.
- Developed and implemented business and marketing strategies for portfolio company to provide commercial microbiological testing and hygiene inspection. New services generated more than $185K in revenue for food production portfolio company in the first year.
- Created business development and strategic plans for portfolio companies in the food production, logistics, and aviation services sectors. Analyzed strategic fit and valuation of potential acquisition targets, reviewed debt agreements, and evaluated exit opportunities.
- Advised senior management teams of portfolio companies on strategic alternatives and analyzed potential acquisitions.
- Non-Commissioned Officer1995 - 1997Singaporean Armed Forces
Focus areas: Operations, Training
- Led 15-member work improvement team in designing and implementing a manpower resource management system. New process reduced administrative requirements by 20%.
- Planned and implemented physical proficiency training programs for six thousand national servicemen. Commended by the division commander for exemplary performance.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Finance and Strategy2003 - 2005Duke University - Durham, NC
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting1997 - 2000Nanyang Technological University - Singapore