SVP and CFO
2016 - PRESENT
- Analyzed, planned, and executed financial planning, budgeting, accounting, reporting tax planning, treasury and risk management.
- Reviewed and established a new finance organizational structure, recruited and managed a 5-person finance and accounting team.
- Developed finance operational flow and implemented reporting systems to ensure accuracy and timeliness, and provided actionable analysis for financial performance, trends and long-term forecasts, resulting in enhanced understanding and control of direct costs, operating expenses and capital expenditures.
- Prepared interactive five-year monthly financial forecast model with easily adjustable key assumptions and the ability to conduct 'what if' scenario analysis.
- Ensured effective internal controls are in place and compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Managed business, financial, and technical due diligence for domestic and international joint ventures, negotiated valuations, and prepared and executed legal documents.
- Negotiated vendor agreements, including insurance, and reduced annual operating expenses by $85,000.
- Authored business plan, developed a five-year monthly financial forecast, managed investor due diligence, and negotiated transaction documents and agreements. Raised $20 million from prominent family offices and ultra-high net worth individuals.
Focus areas: Investment Memoranda, Financial Modeling, Budgeting, Capital Raising
Senior Vice President
2014 - 2016
RBC Capital Markets
- Led coverage of digital media, as well as coverage partner on several media production and interactive entertainment sectors companies.
- Led deal execution across M&A, private placement, leveraged finance and equity transactions.
- Originated and executed more than $1 billion in M&A transactions, $500 million in equity financing and $3 billion in debt financing.
- Raised $250 million for Vice Media from sale of minority stake to Disney, creating the largest digital media company in the world by equity value in 2015.
- Advised Vice Media on $850 million acquisition of H2 cable network from A+E Networks, and enabled the company to diversify its revenue streams and expand its business offerings to differentiate itself from media conglomerates.
- Replaced Goldman Sachs and UBS as sole private placement agent and successfully raised $50 million for Legendary Entertainment from Canadian pension fund within one month of marketing.
- Committed $3 billion of corporate loans to Film and TV Production companies, such as Disney, Viacom, MGM, Lionsgate, DHX Media and Entertainment One, and established RBC as the leading lender to the entertainment industry.
Focus areas: Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Convertible Debt, Debt Restructuring, Bank Debt Raises, IPO, Initial Public Offerings, Equity Offerings, Equity Financing, Investor Relations, Investor Presentations, Financial Modeling, Capital Raising, Leveraged Buyout Model, Three Statement Operating Model, Equity Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Valuation, Reverse Mergers, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
Chief Financial Officer, Portfolio Companies & Vice President, Funds
2008 - 2013
- Appointed CFO of wireless tower and newspaper publisher portfolio companies, Global Tower Partners and American Consolidated Media.
- Directly responsible for accounting, finance and administration including the supervision 16 employees.
- Developed thesis around new business offerings for Global Tower Partners and convinced Board of Directors to pursue these opportunities. Resulted in revenue increase from $150 million to $350 million within 4 years.
- Eliminated $2.5 million of expenses through organizational restructuring and cost reduction program for American Consolidated Media.
- Developed budget and forecast with operations team, instituted and maintained planning and control procedures, and prepared financial reports, including variance analyses and profitability of business segments.
- Managed all aspects of accounting, treasury, receivables, billing inventory, job costing, payables and credit functions.
- Ensured strict compliance with federal, state, local, and contractual laws and regulations.
- Sourced and executed $300 million of acquisitions and oversaw post-acquisition integration and management.
- Negotiated and secured $800 million term loans and $900 million securitization with new and existing lenders.
- Led the sale of Global Tower Partners to American Towers for $4.8 billion and achieved 17% IRR for Macquarie Infrastructure Funds, the majority shareholder of the company.
Focus areas: Debt Raises, Operations Finance, Corporate Finance, Working Capital Management, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Investor Relations, Investor Presentations, Private Placement Structuring, Bank Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Debt Restructuring, Debt Workouts, Capital Structure Analysis, Capital Markets, Capital Raising, Capital Structure, Fundraising, Investment Monitoring, Investment Summaries, Investment Thesis, Investment Portfolio Management, Investment Decision-making, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Private Equity
2006 - 2008
Deutsche Bank Securities
- Developed a comprehensive working knowledge of the analysis, structuring, and execution of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, debt financings, and equity offerings.
- Created detailed financial models to value public and private companies, evaluate acquisitions and buyouts, analyze funding needs, and to assess pro forma impact of capital markets transactions.
- Executed more than $50 billion of M&A and $12 billion of capital markets transactions, generating $80 million in fees that accounted for more than 20% of group’s cumulative revenue over two years.
- Conducted due diligence, and drafted information memorandum and marketing materials.
- Ranked in top 5% of class and awarded Vice President-level responsibilities as a second-year Associate.
Focus areas: Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Debt Restructuring, Bank Debt Raises, Equity Offerings, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Leveraged Buyout Model, Private Placement Structuring, Capital Raising, IPO, Initial Public Offerings, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
2005 - 2006
- Prepared financial models, valuation and leverage analyses, board materials, committee memoranda and confidential information memoranda for various M&A, debt financings, and equity offerings.
- Designed and built complex financial models to perform valuation, capital structure, and leverage analyses.
- Analyzed industry trends, competitors, customers, and business model changes to develop a proactive understanding of market opportunities; performed systematic analyses to deliver solutions to clients.
- Created presentations to pitch products and transactions to clients and investors.
Focus areas: Debt Raises, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Leveraged Buyout Model, Equity Offerings, Capital Markets, Capital Raising, IPO, Initial Public Offerings, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
2000 - 2003
Temasek Holdings (CIAS International)
- Designed strategic plan to develop a market overview and evaluate investment opportunities; resulted in bids in excess of $800 million, executed four acquisitions and three joint ventures in Asia, North America, and Europe.
- Created complex operating models, performed financial analysis and conducted due diligence; efforts consisted of reviewing financial records, strategic plans, environmental reports, and legal contracts as well as management interviews and industry research.
- Developed and implemented business and marketing strategies for a portfolio company to provide commercial microbiological testing and hygiene inspection. New services generated more than $185,000 in revenue for food production portfolio company in the first year.
- Created business development and strategic plans for portfolio companies in the food production, logistics, and aviation services sectors. Analyzed strategic fit and valuation of potential acquisition targets, reviewed debt agreements, and evaluated exit opportunities.
- Advised senior management teams of portfolio companies on strategic alternatives and analyzed potential acquisitions.
Focus areas: Bank Debt Raises, Budgeting, Operations Finance, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Investment Summaries, Investment Thesis, Investment Portfolio Management, Investment Decision-making, Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Private Equity
1995 - 1997
Singaporean Armed Forces
- Led 15-member work improvement team in designing and implementing a manpower resource management system. New process reduced administrative requirements by 20%.
- Planned and implemented physical proficiency training programs for six thousand national servicemen. Commended by the division commander for exemplary performance.
Focus areas: Trading, Operations Analytics