Product Manager2020 - PRESENTToptal Clients
- Worked with client personnel across multiple organizations and levels to guide multiple products through creation, design, development, validation, and deployment phases.
- Mentored client personnel, assisted in team development and management.
- Performed a wide range of roles including gathering user requirements, creating product feature documentation, technical architecture, and management of technical resources.
- Ensured smooth transition of products to client managers at end of the project period, and picked up additional projects from a client that required significant skills in organization and turnaround in order to get back on track.
Consultant Product Manager2019 - PRESENTAML Worldwide
- Drove market research, including third-party and in-person interviews with potential customers, partners, and competitors.
- Developed MVP, including core feature specification, user stories, and the management of development teams.
- Developed a realistic market entry strategy based on market conditions and internal operational constraints (resources, budgets, a window of opportunity).
- Closed initial sales and enabled the sales organization to ramp up effectively.
- Spearheaded the end-to-end product lifecycle management, including product feature enhancements, resiliency enhancements, and performance enhancements.
Co-founder and Product Manager2017 - 2019CPP, Inc.
- Identified potential market opportunity to serve enormous untapped niche. Conducted over 100 in-person user interviews, carried out extensive online market research, and met with leaders and influencers within key prospect organizations.
- Developed MVP definition and user stories to guide the development team. Utilized appropriate open-source technologies and modern methodologies to save time and money while delivering superior results capable of securely and reliably scaling to tens of millions of users.
- Created financial models and operational budgets.
- Raised venture capital to fund product development and initial marketing and sales activities.
- Secured initial customers, obtained extensive feedback, and led product iteration to ensure a perfect fit with market needs.
- Launched a full-capability product and secured multi-million user accounts within four months.
Product and Project Manager2016 - 2016Roche Genomics
- Helped define requirements for real-time analysis software for next-generation DNA sequencing machines.
- Co-led user group sessions to determine user requirements and technical scope.
- Developed comprehensive user stories and feature and functionality definitions to guide the development team.
- Planned all sprints, led daily standups, acted in role of Scrum Master as well as Product Owner.
- Tracked all issues, led mitigation activities, ensured milestones were met on time.
Co-founder and Product Manager2012 - 2015Cognutria Foods, Inc.
- Identified opportunity for cognitive nutrition products.
- Developed relationships with key nutrition scientists around the world to ensure a full understanding of all current scientific knowledge in this domain.
- Raised venture capital to fund product development and initial market testing.
- Formulated product micro-nutrients baseline and worked with scientists to determine the easiest way to manufacture at a small scale within a highly constrained budget.
- Led manufacturing of test product and secured initial 20 retail partnerships.
- Conducted extensive in-person market testing, iterating key messages, analyzing quantitative and qualitative reactions, and enhancing message effectiveness.
- Negotiated the sale of the core intellectual property to a large organization as the company was unable to secure a multi-million dollar expansion capital.
Consultant Product Manager2009 - 2012AML Worldwide
- Acted as general manager for the Xerox PARC project to develop and commercialize Content centric networking (CCN).
- Conducted market research, collaborated with key partner organizations to develop joint marketing and sales strategy—identified key allies in oil and gas, automotive, health services, and telecommunications infrastructure providers.
- Created product development strategy based around the core PARC team as thought leaders and expert developers in Eastern Europe as implementers.
- Acted as vice president of North American Operations for a European open-source ERP company.
- Developed market entry strategy.
- Led sales activities to secure key accounts in identified high-value market niches.
- Specified additional product feature and functionality requirements to provide a better fit with US market needs.
- Enhanced all collateral to remove translation infelicities and to better appeal to US target audiences.
- Acted as the project manager and architecture consultant for a classified top secret joint US intelligence agency and department of defense project.
Co-founder and Product Manager2007 - 2009Prevarex, Inc.
- Worked with leading scientists and physicians to develop a product concept for a health optimization company. Performed all research on legal issues, HIPAA compliance, required legal structures for entities employing physicians, and required legal structures for third-party relationships.
- Created a business plan including financials, market entry strategy, and a product development roadmap.
- Raised venture capital.
- Secured initial key partnerships with medical provider organizations, blood analysis companies, physicians, and high-end health clubs.
- Created specifications for an early artificial intelligence-based online health assessment system and led the offshore development team to create and deliver the product.
Chief Information Officer2005 - 2007Buck Institute for Age Research
- Conducted an end-to-end analysis of IT systems and IT support capabilities. Performed extensive research into new requirements driven by new experimental areas and new scientific technologies such as mass spectrometry and DNA sequencing.
- Worked closely with the institute's CEO to develop a plan to enhance and upgrade all scientific and operational support systems.
- Conducted in-depth research to identify product and technology options, then conducted extensive vendor and technology assessments.
- Led multiple cross-functional project teams, managed internal resources and external vendors, replacing old systems, and implementing new capabilities. These saved the organization $450,000 in unnecessary capital expenditures while simultaneously enhancing all areas of scientific and operational capability. Systems upgrades included: finance and reporting, grant management, donor management, bioinformatics, mass data storage, telecommunications and broadband Internet, journal repository and access, and remote services support.
Consultant Product Manager2002 - 2005AML Worldwide
- Performed product manager role for UK fast-switching company spun out of IBM. Conducted market research, evaluated market opportunities, created market entry plans for each significant market segment and led the development of core value propositions for each segment.
- Performed product management role for US-based cyber currency startup, including market evaluation and technology evaluation. Developed all financials. Developed MVP definition and user stories to drive development. Worked closely with the CEO to evaluate development options and then led the development team to first product release.
Co-founder and Product Manager1999 - 2002TransactPlus, Inc.
- Performed initial due diligence on spinout technology from major US financial services organization.
- Conducted in-person market research to identify and validate opportunities.
- Created product specifications to meet core market needs.
- Created a business plan with product strategy, market entry strategy, financials, and timelines.
- Managed development of the product including local and remote resources.
- Managed roll-out of physical supporting infrastructure in the USA and Western Europe.
- Developed key marketing materials and led PR activities and industry analyst briefings.
- Led sales team to secure first major industry customers, then developed scale-up plan to maximize sales effectiveness.
Co-founder and Product Manager1996 - 1999Kabira Technologies, Inc.
- Conducted market research to identify and validate the opportunity.
- Wrote the business plan with financials, market entry strategy, and product development strategy.
- Assembled core team and raised venture capital.
- Led company through product development and market development activities. Raised multiple rounds of venture capital.
- Conducted industry analyst briefings to generate awareness.
- Led sales team to secure initial high-profile multinational corporate accounts.
Director and Product Manager1993 - 1996Sybase, Inc.
- Identified a significant market opportunity for mobile database products while working within the strategic planning group.
- Conducted in-depth market research and created an opportunity briefing for Sybase executives.
- Led acquisition of companies to acquire third-party technologies and became director of the new group within Sybase to develop and exploit mobile database opportunities.
- Specified MVP and created detailed functional specifications to guide the development team.
- Developed core marketing materials and led market development to secure initial customers.