Verified Expert in Product Management
Athens' experience encompasses large B2C and B2B names. At Wayfair, Athens led their loyalty and financing program, significantly increasing adoption and repeat purchases. At Drift, a Sequoia Capital-funded marketing startup, he spearheaded the conversation widget and reporting and analytics product, helping marketers boost lead sign-up rates. Athens has an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management and an MEng from Imperial College London.
Senior Product Manager
- Launched MyWay paid loyalty program and managed the end-to-end experience (onsite discovery, awareness, landing page experience, sign-up flow, and member’s site-wide experience)—grew subscriptions to multi-millions before discontinuing it in Q1 2020.
- Redesigned the gift card purchase experience, optimized the mobile-web design, launched deferred login and registration—resulting in an increased conversion by 30% on a multi-million business unit.
- Led program banner personalization ML model experiments across all programs including registry, trade buy, and design services—resulting in an average of 10% increase in click-through rate and lower cost-per impression (CPM) by 15%.
Senior Product Manager
- Launched Conversation Content and partnered with several thousand dollars worth of MRR customers to enable conversations from PDFs; generated 30% more in engaged conversations with a form completion rate of less than 5% (vs industry 2%).
- Built and optimized customer-facing reporting pages and mapped out priorities roadmap which reduced sessions requiring >10 second load time from 90% to 10% and increased monthly adoption from 49% to over 70% of all customers.
- Shipped the Routed Conversation Report and partnered with multiple thousands of dollars worth of MRR customers to expose a number of missed conversations from chat reps, enabling managers to train reps. This reduced missed chats by ~20%.
Associate Investment Banker
- Closed the sale of €700-million waste management company Essent Milieu to the Orange consortium, including, ABN AMRO Infrastructure Capital, NIBC Infrastructure Partners, and the two biggest Dutch pension funds, ABP and PGGM.
- Advised Macquarie Capital which acted as a 100% equity sponsor to the Eriugena consortium on this project. The team also sourced an optimal funding solution from a pool of over 50 global funders and alternative investors.
- Was promoted from analyst in 2009, and despite a poor financial deal flow, was rated in the top 10% in his analyst class.
MyWay Loyalty Program for Wayfairhttps://www.claruscommerce.com/blog/why-the-new-wayfair-paid-loyalty-program-makes-so-much-sense/
Launched the MyWay Loyalty Program in Q1 2018 and obtained over several thousands of subscribers in the first month.
• Drove customer research and paint point gathering, enabling the team to arrive at the problem scope.
• Led the design of the end-to-end customer experience, including happy paths and iterations of sad path
• Socialized and aligned stakeholders on vision, rallied the team to build the product, and ensured that all stakeholders were on board and enthusiastic about the vision.
• Scoped and prioritized product into a Scrum team roadmap.
• Developed baseline metrics at launch and monitored progress through the launch.
• Launched and built awareness through onsite and offsite assets, in conjunction with the product marketing team.
Improvement of the Conversion of the Mobile Web Gift Card Experiencehttps://www.wayfair.com/giftcards
Improved conversion of mobileWeb Giftcard experience by 30bps
Through persona studies, focus groups, and qualitative and quantitative studies, I identified the core problem statements and friction points of the experience. In collaboration with the UX and development teams, I developed and redesigned the end-to-end experience, yielding a conversion that was 30 BPS above control, closing the gap from the benchmark and realizing our earnings potential.
API Integration Between a 1 Million+ User Travel App and a Global Distribution System Partner
Integrated a personalized seat selection feature for a mobile travel app with more than 1 million downloads, leveraging a global distribution system partner’s APIs.
Launch of a B2B Chat Widget That Increased the Sign-up Rate on the Landing Page
Launched Conversation Content and partnered with over $30,000 MRR customers to enable conversations from PDFs; this generated 30% in more engaged conversations, an increase in the form completion rate by over 5% (vs the industry average of 2%).
I conducted customer discovery sessions with beta customers to understand opportunities for placements of conversation widgets to attract more leads. I then signed up over five customers for the beta test and developed the product feature.
The end result was a conversation content feature that increased the sign-up rate by 5% than the traditional forms used in inbound marketing.
Build and Optimization of the Reporting Feature for a Martech Company
Built and optimized the customer-facing reporting pages, mapped out priorities roadmap, and reduced sessions requiring a less than 10-second load time from 90% to 10%; this increased monthly adoption from 49% to 75% of all customers.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Business
MIT Sloan School of Management - Cambridge, MA, United States
MEng Degree in Engineering
Imperial College London - London, United Kingdom