Carlos Molina del Rio
Verified Expert in Product Management
Carlos has more than 15 years leading and inspiring teams through conception, experimentation, technical development, and launch of next-generation products based on data and machine learning. He has a 360-degree view spanning tech, operations, marketing, customer relations, story telling, and global vision to drive product innovation.
Head of Product | Data Innovation
- Served as the chief product officer within data innovation department leveraging machine learning and artificial intelligence to build martech and adtech products. Created new B2B business for Telefonica based on data around Movistar users. Utilized strong skills in four key competencies: team development, product vision, execution, and product culture.
- Defined a MarTech vision and execution plan (based on recommendation services) for Telefonica that becomes part of the top management agenda. Achieved 50% increase in revenues expected from the first-year plan.
- Created a portfolio of multiple products based on personalization for eCommerce customer experience, digital newspapers, online-offline behavior, ads attribution, and multi-channel customer experience.
- Ideated, built, and launched a new SAAS prediction product to boost eCommerce (retail and media) conversion through ML based on Movistar users online navigation (intent, interests, and profile). GDPR compliance with x7 improvements on clicks conversion rate.
- Empowered three squads led by senior and junior PM across martech and adtech. Our squads were formed by back end and front end developers, UX, data science, QA, and DevOps. Led Telefonica product manager community and PM focus program to define and execute training for existing and potential PMs within Telefonica.
- Supported team development in areas such as recruiting, training and ongoing coaching for developers, data science, product managers, UX roles and business developers.
CEO & CPO (Founder)
89 Bits Entertainment Studio
- Defined and launched strategic product vision for a mobile video game concept. Outlined business plan for product design, secured funding from Wayra (Latin American start-up accelerator) and recruited a top-performing 9-person creative team to design and launch the products. Guided design and managed key game features to further the overall strategic product vision, including maximizing acquisition, engagement, and monetization. Secured NBA, F1 Movistar, and Diario AS key partnerships.
- Boosted onboarding funnel for B2C users from 20%, post 1st video game launch, to 80% after 6th video game launch.
- Propelled customer engagement by leveraging insights from 1st F1 game to drive strategy for 2nd product (www.asmatchday.es), which delivered retention KPIs of 32%, 14%, 5.5%, 2.8%, exceeding industry standard by x2.
- Selected as the first Spanish company to be accelerated by Appcampus. Awarded a €50,000 grant by Appcampus and recognition as one of the top 20 innovation startups in Spain by El Mundo.
- Won best B2C Windows app at the 2014 EU Appcup.
Senior Product Manager
- Promoted to lead product management strategy for a new global Telehealth solution within the recently formed eHealth Digital Services division. Created global business plan and managed a €500,000 budget in product lifecycle management. Developed marketing plan, managed product roadmap and led successful product launches in Spain, Brazil, Argentina, and the UK. Defined compelling value proposition and business case that resulted in global partnerships with Cisco and Intel.
- Created product roadmap and deployed remote patient monitoring service in Latin America; 1st customer trial executed successfully with a Brazilian customer in 2012 (>500 patients); expanded service to Argentina and Chile markets.
- Doubled Tele-rehab product business, now averaging 40% YOY growth, by securing leading deals with key customers and by partnering with 2 professional rehab communities in Spain (SERMEF and AEFI) reinforcing product quality.
- Launched new maternity product concept from conceptualization through product delivery in Brasil, UK, and Spain, driving €250,000 in revenue in Brasil in the first year.
- Brought on board to contribute to internet and multimedia R&D for innovations projects within Telefonica and included testing a 3D videoconference system combining Ericcson and TID technologies, providing technical input on video conferencing technology for a corporate innovation project, and contributing to European-funded 3D tele-immersion R&D proposals.
Martech and Adtech Business
Created a suite of martech and adtech products from the ideation phase to commercial launch and evolution.
Understood B2B customer needs (martech and adtech industry) to find the right spot between customer needs, competitors proposition, and Telefonica assets.
Defined the vision to build martech and adtech products based on telco data leveraging machine learning and artificial intelligence.
To communicate and evangelize the strategy to all of the relevant internal and external stakeholders from the concept idea to the P&L management.
Executed the plan: A suite of three different products to build based on customer needs discovered, managing two PMs.
Delivered the operating plan: achievement of growth objectives including market share, revenue, profit and return on investment for all the channels/categories of business and/or key customers (customer reference).
Built a team from 3 people to 25 with different profiles (backend & frontend devs, data engineers, data sciences, UX, QA PMs, and business development) organized in three squads.
Boosted an in-store B2B business creating/launching a product solution to improve store conversion within retail industry.
Understood physical retailers’ challenges regarding visitor’s vs buyer’s behavior.
Built a value proposition leveraging TEF data addressing physical retailers’ challenges being able to improve brick& mortar business KPI’s within each store:
- Conversion per profile (age, Zip code, gender)
- Conversion per product category
Led a squad with cross-functional team (back end, front end, data engineer, UX, business insights).
Secured 4 high-profile customers (Nike, Loewe, FC Barcelona, La Vaguada), producing €200,000+ in recurrent revenues during the first year.
Moved forward the opportunity through the 4 phases of our innovation process with their challenges:
- Ideation: Discover the main customer needs
- Prototype: Test different quick solution to find insights, validation hypothesis, and initial traction
- Beta: Build the features/product in a scalable way addressing customer needs tested in prototype
- Product: Manager an E2E P&L based on the product
Transferred the business created from innovation to the business unit (value prop, go-to-market, product and team, operations).
LIVE Fantasy Managerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-LD3Ec6jQ
Led product from ideation to commercial launch with three sports securing B2B customers as Diario AS and NBA.
Defined and launched strategic product vision for a mobile video game concept. Guided design and managed key game features to further the overall strategic product vision, including maximizing acquisition, engagement, and monetization.
Secured NBA, F1 Movistar, and Diario AS key partnerships.
Recruited a top-performing 9-person creative team to design and launch the products (back end and front end devs, gameplay designers, QA, UX).
Created a community of users around the competition to foster engagement
Found product-market fit pivoting from pure B2B proposal to B2B2C with in-game monetization process.
Successfully led fundraising efforts for the company, raising $250,000 from investors and grants.
Built and launched a TV companion fantasy manager (asmatchday) with a successful engagement KPIs: 32%,14%/5.5%/2.8% (1/7/30/90 days), exceeding industry standard by x2.5.
Boosted onboarding funnel for B2C users from 20%, post first video game launch, to 80% after 6th video game launch.
Awarded best B2C Windows app in Europe by Microsoft at the 2014 EU Appcup.
Executive Master's Degree in Business Administration
IESE - Madrid
Master's Degree in Computer Engineering
UPC - Universitat Politecnica de Cataluña - Barcelona, Spain
Product Manager Executive Education
University of California - Berkeley