For 20+ years, Eric's designed, developed, and launched products and solutions for payments, banking, financial services, and IoT companies. His strengths are in ideation, technical design, process design, and conceptual integrity. He is also effective in helping companies develop product technology strategies and aligning engineering with product management. He has extensive experience working with startups, PE roll-ups, and mid-size companies.
ExpertiseAgile Product ManagementBanking & FinanceIdeationInnovationPayment ProcessingProduct StrategySoftware EngineeringStartups
SVP of Banking Products
- Designed FX, crypto, and liquidity management platform products for small to medium banks.
- Conducted market research on core banking systems and integration strategies.
- Performed market and technical research on real-time payments networks.
- Built revenue models tor prospective bank customers.
- Designed and modeled flows of funds processes for payments transactions and exchanges for digital and fiat.
- Led the design, development, and launch of an online music-royalty and sales-factoring platform with instant international funding capabilities.
PCI and Data Security Consultant
- Developed a data security strategy and consulted on the system design for PCI DSS compliance.
- Designed secure storage services utilizing Hashicorp Vault for securely storing, indexing and retrieving sensitive data and credit card and bank information for payments.
- Modeled a payment transaction process.
Acting Head of Technology
- Developed a technology strategy to support product concept around sales tax fraud detection.
- Worked as part of a business development team pitching to state governments.
- Helped a tech team to design efficient high-volume message processing platform for a device that would monitor the usage of medical equipment and home appliances through the electrical signals between machine a wall socket. The data was sent over a cellular network.
- Designed touchscreen QA stations that the manufacturer would use to flash device firmware and perform QA on the devices.
- Was brought in to remediate the platform that managed automotive plug-in crash detection devices that could call for emergency help and track vehicle with GPS. The platform was frequently crashing and devices losing communications.
- Developed a full product strategy and roadmap for the next generation of devices.
- Set up an e-call compatibility program.
- Redesigned and architected a platform for scale and performance as well as future flexibility.
- Worked as part of business development team to sell pilots to insurance companies and auto clubs in Europe.
- Implemented a pre-audit remediation before a PCI DSS certification audit.
- Helped reduce the in-scope footprint of systems.
- Worked with a PCI auditor to help more clearly communicate system design and facilitate the audit process.
- Designed and led the implementation of a card-linked-offers-and-advertising platform. The platform created and managed debit- or credit-card-based reward programs and communication for merchants.
- Led the PCI certification effort as well as audits by Visa, MC, and Amex.
- Set up a hybrid infrastructure with AWS and secure data center as well as worked with secure storage vendors to create hardened PAN storage.
- Developed a point-of-sale tablet that allowed users to register for a merchant program by just swiping their card.
- Developed a system architecture for an ISO8583 bridge to EFT network.
VP of Product Engineering/Innovation
- Worked for edō Interactive, a next-generation advertising company cultivating loyal consumers with proprietary technology that delivers behavioral incentives over traditional debit and payment services networks.
- Served as the organization’s first formal technology manager and chief architect driving innovation in the company’s products and services.
- Played a key role in the rapid early growth of this startup by driving innovation its products and services and supporting IT services.
- Conceived, designed, and implemented innovative technologies and services while earning recognition as the holder of four patents developed for the company.
- Led the technical development and deployment of the premier debit card product, a supporting marketing and finance platform, and a licensable multipurpose loyalty and rewards platform for integration with third-party card programs.
- Designed and brought to market the first real-time card-linked offers system in the industry.
- Led the design and implementation of a real-time transaction analysis engine capable of analyzing and processing well over 3,000 transactions a second and processing >12 billion transactions a year.
Chief Information Officer
- Worked as the CIO for the largest privately held payroll processing, tax services, and employee benefits provider (fourth overall).
- Directed the technical operations of four payroll platforms and two tax processing platforms that drove 90% of the company’s revenues.
- Managed a staff of 60+ technologists and managers with data processing operations in two data centers and systems in 20 sales/support offices.
- Provided technical due diligence facilitating the acquisition of other payroll processing companies.
- Led the build-out of two premium level co-located data centers in Miami and Nashville that dramatically enhanced system availability and disaster recovery capabilities.
- Revamped the application service model and hosting infrastructure and introduced server virtualization to protect the revenue stream and lower costs.
- Dramatically improved and accelerated development efforts by introducing Scrum Agile software development methodology to new platform/product development teams and legacy system support teams.
President | CTO | Co-founder
Stroudwater Technologies, LLC
- Co-founded a more than $5.5 million/year regional software development and technology consulting firm specializing in software development and systems integration project management.
- Pioneered a new and innovative approach to selling and delivering technology projects in one of the first firms to offer fixed-price projects and warranty work against code defects.
- Managed company operations and played a key role in new business development.
- Effectively promoted the company as an organization that paid special attention to people and processes in technology implementations.
- More than tripled revenues in only three years.
- Played a key role in securing commercial lines of credit and local business development loans that were critical to funding the company’s early growth.
Music Royalty Factoring and Advance Underwriting Platform
As acting CTO, enabled a small, low-volume financial services music royalty factoring company to reinvent itself by offering.
Open Banking/Digital Wallet/FX and Crypto Services for Banks and Consumers
Led the design and product launch of FX and crypto products and services for small banks.
• Performed market and technical research on core banking systems and real-time payments networks.
• Developed integration strategies for prospective clients and partners.
• Worked on revenue modeling tor prospective bank clients. • Designed and modeled the flows of funds processes for payment transactions and exchanges for digital and fiat.
IoT-based Vehicle Tracking, Crash Detection, and Emergency Notification Platform
As acting CTO, helped remediate a failing platform and introduce the next generation of services and devices.
• Developed a multi-generational product and services plan for future devices and capabilities.
• Created a remediation plan and led a cross-functional team to resolve issues with the software platform and device firmware.
• Partnered with the company’s business development team to negotiate and structure integrations with European business partners and eCall interoperability.
Payments System for Lottery Services Company
Advised on PCI compliance and designed a system for encrypting and securely managing sensitive personal and financial data.
• Designed secure storage services utilizing Hashicorp Vault and AWS for the safe storage, indexing, and retrieval of sensitive data and credit card and bank information for payments.
• Modeled payment transaction process.
Sales Tax Gap and Fraud Analysis Platform
As acting head of technology, advised a startup on the technical strategy, app design, and customer integration process.
• Created an interactive notebook prototype of a product on top of Apache Spark to facilitate business development and fundraising.
• Worked as part of the business development team pitching to state governments.
Card Linked Loyalty and Engagement Platform
As acting head of technology, led the platform development and launch for a startup digital marketing and loyalty company.
• Managed four concurrent audits (PCI, MasterCard, Visa, and American Express) need for the product launch.
• Assisted in recruiting and hiring of technical staff.
Certificate (Master's Track) in Applied Computer Science
Harvard University Extension School - Cambridge, MA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy
Brown University - Providence, RI, USA
SANS Institute GSEC Security Training
Gestalt Consulting for Change Agents and Leaders
Management Work Program
NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science