Verified Expert in Product Management
John is a full-stack product and user experience leader with decades of experience and collaboration with engineers and business stakeholders. His expertise includes advertising and martech; big data, data analytics, and data visualization; and orchestration of complex workflows. John has worked for many startups and larger enterprises, and he was the 25th employee at Workday. He was also a primary contributor and author of IAB standards, receiving the IAB Service Excellence Award in 2017.
Pocket Initiative at ASU (via Toptal)
- Worked with the executive director to create a roadmap of releases and prioritized features and collaborations.
- Educated the business team on the technology of blockchain, digital ledgers, self-sovereign identity, and verifiable credentials.
- Released a successful Android mobile app demo for the ASU Digital Trust Summit in June of 2020.
Head of Product
- Introduced a modern, agile product management culture and practices that resulted in accelerated and predictable feature scope and delivery.
- Mentored and managed junior product managers and UX designers and filled tech communications and project management positions, thereby improving the productivity and quality of product department deliverables.
- Led the redesign of the basic application, both back end and front end, setting the platform up for future feature support. Replaced a poorly designed, hard-to-use prototype UX with a modern web app navigation and workflow.
- Contributed as a thought leader in the data exchange and data ecosystem market, authoring articles on LinkedIn and the company website and positioning Harbr as the leader in this space.
Senior Product Manager | Product Designer | Product Owner
Sellpoints (Now a Syndigo Company)
- Designed and developed, from concept to completion, the ReTargeter application, a platform that integrated with the AppNexus API to simplify targeted advertising for a large number of eCommerce platforms.
- Managed a distributed team of four in-house and eight remote engineers, using Jira and Agile sprints to create a fully fleshed-out release from concept to finish in 15 months.
- Created the integration roadmap and redesign of legacy martech systems after the Syndigo acquisition. Merged two competitive and disparate martech platforms into a single, cohesive system.
Director of Product, Analytics, and Back-end Tech Stack
Spongecell (Now FlashTalking)
- Served on the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Dynamic Content and OpenData specs working group, co-authored the IAB Dynamic Content Ad Standard, and received the IAB Service Excellence Award in 2017.
- Executed the design and development of a release of key features that enabled the company to take a commanding competitive technology lead. These features included all integrations, dynamic content targeting, a data pipeline, and a reporting stack.
- Led the adoption and acted as the administrator of Jira and other Agile development processes and roadmapping techniques, replacing Asana and other processes with modern, more predictable techniques, resulting in more on-time deliveries.
- Mentored and managed junior product managers and oversaw their assigned work. This led to project managers owning and successfully delivering critical, competitive features on time and fully functional.
Director of Product
Lifestreet (Now RevJet)
- Architected and designed the RevJet platform from conception to production. This included creative creation, variation, optimization, targeting, and tracking, as well as campaign, advertiser, and publisher advertisers, and publishers.
- Developed reporting and analytics capable of handling terabytes of data daily.
- Hired and managed a team of 15 offshore, front-end developers and project managers.
- Established all front-end coding standards, guidelines, and best practices.
RevJet Ad Optimization Platformhttps://www.revjet.com/
Led the design and implementation of an entire ad serving and optimization platform that, at its height, managed 90% of Facebook in-app advertising with over $100,000 in revenue flowing through the system per day.
I also led the UX design and implementation of the front end and hired and managed the front-end development team of 15 developers and project managers based out of Odesa and Kyiv in Ukraine.
At its height, the system managed hundreds of ad campaigns (each with hundreds of creatives) that were tracked and optimized in rotations daily. The system could be managed effectively by a small team of fewer than five account managers and a team of three creative developers.
Data that was logged and tracked in the system consisted of terabytes per day, which were extracted, transformed, and loaded (ETL) and managed into a consolidated reporting platform covering all advertisers and publishers across the entire ecosystem.
IAB Dynamic Content Ad Standardhttps://www.iab.com/guidelines/dynamic-content-ad-standards/
Served as the principal author for this IAB standard, which has been adopted by many advertising platforms, including Google. Received a 2017 Service Excellence Award from IAB for this contribution.
Harbr Data Exchangehttps://www.harbrdata.com/
Transformed an advanced prototype that was missing key features and successfully launched it with two Fortune 500 companies as their main data exchange platform within 10 months.
This required a total review of the current feature set and what required re-architecting, prioritization of key missing functionality that any enterprise-class SaaS platform required, and then gaining the backing and support of clients, business stakeholders, and other key company leaders.
No part of the platform remained untouched. The UX needed a complete overhaul, the core API and services needed revision and updates, and the main tech stacks were not architected for future functionality and had to be redesigned and rewritten. I worked closely with the core architects of the platform on this complete redesign and worked with clients to manage realistic timelines and expectations for different deliveries.
The on-time release of the functional and secure enterprise platform to key customers was a significant contributor to a very large Series A investment.
Coursework Toward PhD in Evolutionary Biology
University of Arizona - Tucson, AZ, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry
University of California, Berkeley - Berkeley, CA, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring