Principal Consultant2011 - PRESENTTech Mark Partners LLC
- Provided product management, sales, and marketing strategies for high-growth businesses—helping companies create innovative products, capture new markets, and expand existing ones.
- Conducted market research and collaborated with customers, industry influencers, and sales teams to establish product vision, define product requirements, and generate compelling user stories.
- Worked with product development and company stakeholders to manage the product direction, groom the feature backlog, and effectively manage change.
- Wrote high impact content for web and mobile platforms, brochures, magazines, press releases, white papers, blogs, social media posts, business plans, and kick-ass presentations.
- Advised clients on the best way to reach their customer base and helps them develop go-to-market strategies, compensation plans, sales presentations, and demos.
President | Chief Executive Officer2008 - 2011Reflex Systems LLC
- Transformed a struggling information security business into a market-leading cloud management software and services company.
- Reported and was accountable to the board of directors for the full P&L.
- Raised $8.5 million in new venture money and recapitalized the company.
- Conceived, developed, and launched a new line of system management tools for cloud computing platforms. The new products won "Best of Show" at VMworld.
- Grew the new product revenue from $0 to over $6 million in just two years.
- Recruited new sales, product management, marketing, and business development teams.
- Set up strategic OEM partnerships with VMware, Dell, HP, McAfee, Savvis, and CSC.
Vice President of Sales, Americas2006 - 2008IBM
- Led a 300-person sales organization for a newly acquired cybersecurity division of IBM. The organization included direct sales, small and medium business sales (SMB), channel sales, presales, field marketing, and sales operations.
- Delivered over $250 million in annual product and service revenue.
- Grew product revenue 20% and managed service bookings by 40% while reducing overall headcount and operating budget by 20%.
- Formed a dedicated sales channel to target the SMB market.
- Restructured the acquired company's sales organization to better align with IBM's go-to-market strategy.
Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing and Corporate Development2003 - 2006Internet Security Systems (ISS), Inc. (acquired by IBM)
- Oversaw domestic and international marketing operations and product management for a $330 million, publicly traded, cybersecurity product and services company.
- Developed the ISS cybersecurity appliance product strategy which grew to almost 50% of the company's revenue and restarted ISS's growth.
- Led the largest product launch in ISS history (ISS's Proventia appliance product line) and expanded awareness of the ISS brand to mainstream networking and IT professionals.
- Transformed ISS into a more market-driven (rather than engineering focused) organization by reorganizing the marketing and product management teams.
- Oversaw all business development, mergers, and acquisitions, and investor relations activity.
- Directed over a dozen company and technology acquisitions.
- Developed a key relationship with several large strategic partners including IBM—ultimately this resulted in IBM acquiring ISS for $1.4 billion.
Senior Vice President of Services2001 - 2003Internet Security Systems (ISS)
- Responsible for managed security services (MSS), professional services, X-Force research, and security subscriptions which represented over 50% of ISS's revenue.
- Turned around the Managed Security Services (MSS), a SaaS business from a $10 million loss in 2001 to break even by Q2 of 2002 and exceeded 50% gross margins and 20% net operating margins by Q1 2003.
- Created the Managed Protection services' product strategy which enabled the MSS division to become the fastest growing product line inside ISS.
President | Chief Operating Officer1999 - 2001Pelican Security, Inc. (acquired by Microsoft)
- Accountable for the overall P&L, corporate strategy, product management, marketing, sales, pre-sales, customer support, business development, and finance operations for an Israeli founded startup.
- Defined the product, marketing, sales and corporate strategy for a startup company.
- Raised $7.5 million in venture capital to fund the company.
- Came up with the "Next Generation Anti-Virus" product strategy which resulted in Pelican's Safe-T-Net product being named "Best Internet Security Product."
- Sold the company to Microsoft and the Pelican technology is now an integral part of Windows.
Senior Vice President of Operations1993 - 1999AXENT Technologies, Inc. (Acquired by Symantec)
- Co-founded one of the first internet security companies.
- Oversaw all operations including research and development, product management, product marketing, customer support, corporate marketing, M&A, and corporate development.
- Formulated the AXENT business plan, and internet security product strategy which took the company from start-up to a successful IPO in less than two years.
- Raised $8 million in venture capital to fund the business.
- Delivered 12 new products across 25 different platforms which resulted in 100% year over year growth for four straight years.
- Presented the "Road Show" pitch to investors which resulted in the IPO being 15 times oversold.
- Orchestrated the acquisition of three companies (two private and one public).
- Sold the company to Symantec for $400 million.
Vice President of Marketing | Vice President of Strategy1984 - 1992KnowledgeWare, Inc. (Acquired by Computer Associates)
- Defined the product and market strategy that enabled a software development tools company to grow from start-up to over $140 million in sales.
- Ran product management, product marketing, corporate marketing, and M&A.
- Raised $7 million in capital to fund operations.
- Delivered the "Road Show" presentation to investors that resulted in an oversold IPO.
- Sold the company to Computer Associates.