Verified Expert in Product Management
For over 30 years, Todd has been designing, launching, and managing successful software products. He has experience in many industries, including fintech and healthcare, but Todd is best known for his developer-focused products. His career spans from startups to the largest software companies, and nearly every role, including engineering, management, and sales. As such, Todd has tremendous hands-on knowledge of multidisciplinary best practices.
- Identified business problem, researched market space, determined the total addressable market, and conceived of a solution.
- Engaged with potential customers across multiple industries to test and refine the product approach.
- Designed and developed a beta solution. Tested solutions in the market, collecting analytics and feedback.
- Refined product for launch.
- Created a go-to-market plan, including sales and marketing materials.
Senior Vice President, Technical Product Management
- Analyzed and made recommendations for potential company acquisitions in support of a rapid-growth business strategy.
- Documented key aspects of technical architectures of recent acquisitions, explaining why each technical decision was important so that new engineering and operations team could scale-up quickly.
- Made recommendations for changes to acquired products' architectures in order to radically reduce technical debt in favor of 3rd party/cloud-native services. Total lines-of-code reduction of 70-90% was not uncommon.
- Authored epics, set milestones, and determined acceptance criteria to achieve recommended architectural changes.
Senior Principal Product Manager
- Consolidated several, related product offerings from different divisions under a single, new division, in order to better engage with an important, core audience, increasing program subscribers by 100% YoY.
- Proposed a flagship new product offering. Created pitch establishing product vision, addressable market, and market fit.
- Product managed the design, construction, and launch of a new flagship offering, leading to a successful service launch in less than 18 months, acquiring thousands of users within minutes of launch, and ongoing double-digit MoM growth.
- Managed team of product managers, with a focus on their personal growth. All nurtured employees received promotions.
- Managed a US-wide team of technical sellers, hitting aggressive sales and growth targets every single year.
- Worked closely with product management and marketing, representing the voice of the customer, to establish market-aligned product and service road maps, leading to double-digit growth in revenues and MAUs.
- Established a "challenger mindset" sales approach for assigned product lines, elevating capabilities of sales team worldwide, resulting in a growth inflection point in revenues and total seats.
- Designed, developed, and brought to market an enterprise search software solution.
Director of Professional Services
- Worked closely with customers to create market-compelling differentiated solutions so that they could grow market share.
- Designed a value-add product offering on-top-of corporate product line. Worked with my team to develop it. After the collapse of Altavista, this product was reborn in a new company, which was a significant industry acquisition in 2019.
Director of Software Engineering
OneSource Information Services
- Managed engineering of one of the world's first, large-scale SaaS offerings, successfully transforming an on-premise software product to a service model.
- Aggressively replaced low-value, proprietary technology with off-the-shelf solutions from established software vendors.
Manager of Clinical Applications
- Worked closely with physicians and industry peers to design and develop a Patient Outcomes tracking system, which greatly aided in data-driven health management decisions for positive patient outcomes.
Software Engineer in Test
Lotus Development Corporation
- Created automated software test solutions for Lotus 1-2-3, at a time when virtually no commercial automated test offerings existed. The system identified hundreds of critical bugs prior to product release.
- Designed a test creation tool that analyzed software specification documents and created automated tests. This tool reduced one of my projects estimated to take 3 months down to 1 day and remained in use well after I left Lotus.
Did all the work including product-market fit, design, development, marketing to launch the startup marketplace.
Led product design of Red Hat's developer-focused SaaS, launching this free service to hundreds of thousands of developers.
The service was well received by both the press and end-users, with positive mentions in places such as Hacker News and TheNewStack.io. Subscribers quickly flocked to the service, leading to tremendous day-one sign-ups and healthy double-digit MoM growth thereafter.
Master's Degree in Computer Science
The Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
The Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD
Professional Scrum Master Level I (PSM I)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring