Product Management Coach and Consultant2018 - PRESENTSelf-employed
- Supported the founders of a multi-sided hospitality data platform in finding product-market fit and scaling operations from 2 to 20+ people. Acted in various roles across the entrepreneurial journey, including head of product and COO.
- Assisted the management team of the leading Dutch web shop platform in articulating an actionable product strategy and transforming the organization to deliver on it. Coached and guided on best practices including OKRs, discovery, and delivery.
- Reinforced the scale-up marketplace in heavy machinery as head of product, guiding a technology-focused business towards customer-centricity to unleash their strengths in data, AI, and machine learning as competitive differentiators.
- Supported the CEO of an Australian data-as-a-service consultancy in developing a strategy to make the business more scalable by productizing their services into a self-service model and extending the customer journey towards more advanced use cases.
- Guided founders of a social care marketplace in transforming the service into a product business and achieving profitability by growing into an underserved market segment. Currently on the advisory board and chairman of the shareholders' foundation.
- Facilitated a team of medical business owners in aligning on long-term business goals and agreeing on strategic priorities toward achieving them, including a new line of online services.
Co-founder of Product and Operations2019 - 2020GoChampio
- Co-founded a mission-driven company to help people transition to more sustainable eating habits.
- Took part in Founder Institute accelerator and applied Lean Startup methodology in validating the opportunity, including customer interviews, demand testing through social media and landing pages, hands-on prototyping, and MVP testing.
- Bootstrapped the business and built up a small team and partners but pulled the plug after a year of hands-on discovery and experimentation did not yield proof for a path towards a viable business with impact at scale.
Global Product Strategy Lead2014 - 2018eBay Classifieds Group
- Drove group-wide product vision and strategic initiatives to make them a reality, working closely with local teams and central functions to deliver internationally scalable solutions (e.g., C2C payments, image recognition, messaging, etc.).
- Brought customer centricity, data-informed decision making, and outcome thinking to product discovery and delivery, at scale.
- Trained and coached 250+ colleagues on product best practices through tools, programs, and workshops to elevate people, teams, and processes.
- Drove global improvements by benchmarking products internally and externally and working closely with analysts in determining proven winners to scale internationally.
- Elevated product culture across a distributed organization by working closely with heads of product and their teams and recognizing product leaders such as Silicon Valley Product Group, Christina Wodtke, Jeff Gothelf, and Ben Yoskovitch.
- Worked closely with global leadership in demonstrating product value and transforming strategy, goal setting, and organization.
- Provided global leadership with a key pillar of organizational transformation by defining global product strategy for the consumer side of our marketplaces (a.k.a. "horizontal") based on international market and product analysis.
- Developed product people across the organization through tools and programs. Created a capabilities framework outlining expected product skills at different levels of seniority for personal development, coaching, recruitment, and evaluation.
- Created and ran highly rated mentorship programs in close collaboration with HR leadership, matching product people to senior leaders across the organizaton for intensive, goal-focused, high-frequency mentoring assignments.
Head of Core Product and User Experience2011 - 2014Marktplaats - an eBay Company
- Coordinated complete platform rebuild, redesign, and migration as chief product owner of five agile teams in a complex stakeholder environment, the largest project in Marktplaats’ history.
- Guided Marktplaats into the mobile era with the launch of mobile and tablet products with 4.5 rated apps that ranked No. 1 in their App Store categories, now accounting for >80% of user engagement.
- Enabled 30%+ YoY growth in buyer and seller engagement in terms of item listings and leads, reigniting growth for a mature business and translating into double-digit revenue increase.
- Oversaw a team of seven full-time employees (product managers, designer, UX researcher, and analytics/SEO specialist). Worked closely with engineering to transform and accelerate workflows (Scum/Kanban, TDD, CI/CD).
Product Director for Classifieds Integration2009 - 2011Fairfax Media
- Led a team of eight full-time employees who manage the common elements across Fairfax Media's portfolio of key vertical classifieds sites: domain.com.au (real estate), drive.com.au (automotive), and mycareer.com.au (employment).
- Listed placement and management; aggregated and distributed products; handled mobile apps, SEO, analytics, and reporting as well as display advertising and behavioral targeting; and integrated with partners across print and online domains.
- Actively experimented with fledgling mobile and tablet platforms in the early years of native app development. Won multiple industry awards and consistently received the highest of praise from consumers and Apple for Domain iPad and iPhone apps.
Product and Online Marketing Manager for Regional, Rural, and Communities2006 - 2008Fairfax Digital
- Managed commercial interests for the online strategy and management of an Australia-wide network of local news publications and one of Australia's largest free classifieds websites.
- Tripled traffic to 180+ publications while multiplying leads to related classifieds sites by integrating them into Australia's largest local news network, consolidating technology and accelerating growth.
- Increased annual revenue of the general classifieds website by 300% in FY07 and another 50% in FY08. Coordinated make-over and re-launch to align and integrate the product with the rest of the business, decimate costs, and grow traffic and revenue.
- Redeveloped sites and CMS for improved performance, scalability, ease of use, monetization, and audience engagement.
Product Manager for Hosting Services2002 - 2004XS4ALL Internet
- Owned a portfolio of B2B email and hosting services, managing the entire product lifecycle from market research and concept development through to launch and beyond.
- Developed a unique and highly profitable colocation offering to penetrate a new market segment, launched it with a viral marketing campaign, and exceeded the best-case sales scenario by 50% in the first year.
- Repositioned the portfolio and successfully led a cross-functional team in the optimization of ordering processes, resulting in significantly higher customer conversion and 95% quicker provisioning.
- Initiated and executed several market pilots to trial new service concepts and technologies. Managed the introduction of several value-added email services (mobile email, virus, and spam filters).
Product Manager for Wholesale Interconnection Services2000 - 2002KPN Royal Dutch Telecom
- Owned a portfolio of wholesale services with an annual turnover of €50 million through which most other telecom operators in the Netherlands interconnect via KPN and one another (fixed, mobile, internet).
- Liaised with competitors and the Dutch telecom authority on network access during the peak and fallout of the internet bubble, a strategic role that combines technical/conceptual thinking and abstract analysis with negotiation and people skills.
- Selected for KPN's management development program and served as secretary to the carrier services management team, the fastest growing business unit within the company.