Verified Expert in Project Management
James is a senior technical project manager with a first-class honours degree in engineering and a decade of experience in Agile product development. He has held senior engineering, management, and executive positions at organizations like SingTel, Raytheon, and the Government of South Australia. Projects that James has overseen have touched millions of lives across nations, increased revenue for multi-billion-dollar enterprises, and transformed customer experiences with digital technology.
Chief Digital Officer
Government of South Australia
- Spearheaded the establishment of the new office for the digital government division as the chief digital officer growing the team to 92 FTE, including designers, engineers, and project managers.
- Delivered a comprehensive design system, improving collaboration between the design and engineering teams and ensuring a modern and minimalist UX that meets accessibility guidelines.
- Deployed the Home Quarantine app automating quarantine arrangements during the pandemic. The app replaced spot checks by frontline officers with automated check-ins using facial scans and geolocation.
- Led the design and integration of solutions in response to market opportunities in South Australia.
- Engineered POCs to validate complex solutions before submitting proposals to customers.
- Trained Optus' sales team to cross-sell security products and services from Trustwave to increase revenue.
IT DevOps Manager
- Introduced Agile concepts into the sustainment phase of cyber-physical defense programs.
- Managed cross-functional agile teams across Australia that developed corporate systems and defense products.
- Led the technical delivery of the Air Warfare Destroyer IT Reform program divesting shipbuilding systems from an alliance partner into a greenfield environment.
- Introduced a national information repository with a standard taxonomy and policy-based access controls to support collaboration across programs and corporate functions.
- Provided principal-level oversight across the project portfolio.
- Delivered a significant Office 365 deployment for a financial services customer with relevant automation while maintaining APRA compliance.
- Developed cloud strategies and project roadmaps for multiple customers across local and state government, manufacturing, and defense.
- Created statements of work and proposals that significantly uplift the branch's utilization and growth.
- Led the technical stream of a global cloud-based CRM implementation for a major travel organization.
- Bid and won a major technology outsourcing opportunity with an iconic entertainment company.
- Managed the data center and cloud practice for South Australia with P&L responsibility.
Senior Systems Engineer
- Designed and implemented a POC of a multi-tenant customer email system.
- Designed and implemented a multi-site VMware clustering solution.
- Supported mission-critical services underpinning Internode's global IP network, including billing and provisioning.
Home Quarantine Mobile Applicationhttps://www.innovationaus.com/south-australia-to-expand-use-of-facial-recognition-home-quarantine-app/
Delivered a home quarantine mobile app in South Australia.
The cross-platform solution developed with Microsoft Xamarin leveraged biometrics and location services to ensure the quarantine subject remained in the designated location throughout the quarantine period. The app monitored their symptoms and provided helpful self-care advice. Integration with pathology labs automatically released the subject from quarantine pending a negative test result on the final day of the mandatory period.
Over 20,000 people successfully completed their quarantine requirements in the comfort of their own home using the app.
Delivered an official contact tracing app in South Australia in four weeks.
A unique QR code was issued to 108,000 businesses across SA which a patron could conveniently scan with the mySA GOV mobile app to check in on entry to the venue. The project required significant collaboration between multiple government agencies, software vendors, and the business community within a 4-week release window. The simple and intuitive interface combined with exceptional security and privacy controls made the app an overwhelming success. There have been over 648 million check-ins recorded through the system as of August 2022.
AWD IT Reform Program
Migrated shipbuilding systems from the Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) alliance to new data centers for the AWD Reform program.
I led the significant refactoring and testing of systems interfaces that was required to support the resulting multi-vendor environment.
Configuration Baseline Specification
Successfully delivered the Configuration Baseline Specification dataset for the Air Warfare Destroyers to the customer.
Honors Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering
Flinders University - South Australia
SAFe 5 Product Owner/Product Manager Certification
SAFe 5 Architect Certification
SAFe 5 Program Consultant Certification
SAFe 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Certification
SAFe 5 Agilist Certification
Certified Scrum Master
Six Sigma Specialist
TOGAF 9 Certified
The Open Group
TOGAF 9 Foundation
The Open Group
VMware Certified Design Expert
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring