Verified Expert in Project Management
Justin is driven by the desire to continuously improve himself, his team, and the products they build. He has over ten years of experience managing software projects on multiple platforms. He's delivered a wide range of software applications for small and large enterprises in the telecom, finance, oil, gas, and eCommerce industries. These applications range from cloud migration projects to building large-scale enterprise systems. Justin is a fast learner and can adapt to any business domain.
Senior Technical Program Manager
- Joined as a senior technical program manager to manage two projects that are part of a confidential program. Set up two teams, one for each project. One group comprised third-party contractors located in the US, India, and Australia.
- Managed a confidential project for building a large-scale application that will be used by millions of customers. The project has strategic significance and high exposure.
- Spearheaded a confidential project to build API-based services that processed millions of requests. These API services were deployed globally to deliver an exceptional customer experience.
- Converted feature requirements into a product backlog and applied the Scrum methodology throughout the project. Prioritized the backlog and created a minimum viable product scope based on the input from the product owner and other stakeholders.
- Managed stakeholder requirements and expectations, which involved identifying stakeholders, clearly defining requirements, creating and executing a communication strategy, and maintaining good relationships.
- Worked closely with product managers and UX designers as part of the product discovery process to collect and refine user requirements, define acceptance criteria, and create a prioritized MVP backlog.
- Tracked and resolved identified risks, issues, and dependencies that could impact the development and delivery of software products. Implemented dependency management between the development teams, security team, QA team, and UX designers.
Software Program Manager
- Acted as the agile project manager on two teams (15 individuals in total) that built an application marketplace for Schlumberger's global customers and third-party vendors to discover and purchase software applications for the oil and gas industry.
- Managed an agile project to migrate five applications from on-premise data centers to the Google Cloud platform. Two of these applications were "lift and shift"; the others involved app modernization—changing to microservices and using PaaS services.
- Acted as the lead project manager on the SAP integration program owning the integration of internal and external systems to SAP to enable critical business processes including procure-to-pay, order-to-cash, and record-to-report.
- Created the API program vision and the multi-year strategy to build API-based products, including defining API governance standards, best practices, and authorization policies. Evangelized these standards across teams in the US, India, and France.
- Coached the team members on Scrum best practices and story point estimating techniques. Trained the team on using Microsoft Azure DevOps as the scrum tool. Coordinated and facilitated the scrum of scrums ceremonies for the various scrum teams.
- Hired, trained, and managed three development teams responsible for building APIs and integrating applications. These teams were located in US, India, and France.
Middleware Project Manager
- Started off as a senior Java developer responsible for building an application for a Red Hat client in the telecom sector. The application received XML files from AT&T at 100 files/second, processed these files, and updated an Oracle database.
- Managed a project to build an app to automate a client's telephony provision process. The app reduced the provision time from three days to two minutes, enabling the client to process more orders and increase revenue from $5 million to $12.5 million.
- Built and led a team to deliver an SMS payment service in the UK. The £2.5 million project involved building a middleware application to process payment requests at milliseconds speeds. This application was used by three major banks in the UK.
- Worked with the sales team at Red Hat to evangelize and win software integration contracts. Got involved in the initiation phase of these projects to understand customers' pain points, create a backlog of user stories, and negotiate the budget.
- Closely interacted with key stakeholders to discuss, define, and follow up on requirements.
- Managed project planning and delivery through Scrum. Used Jira as the project tracking tool for daily standups, backlog refinement, sprint review, and other scrum ceremonies. Tracked sprints and release progress through burndown and burnup charts.
- Built an application for a telecom company that reads data from a database, transforms the data into the SMS format, and sends SMS to customers who qualify for a promotional offer.
- Developed a customer portal where customers can shop and place orders for products using Spring MVC. The UI is integrated into an SQL server database, and the application is also connected to a payment service for processing customer payments.
- Created a Java solution that reads CSV files from a folder, extracts data, and inserts them into an Oracle database.
API Enablement Program
Launched and managed an API program with the core objectives of democratizing access to data and modernizing the application integration landscape across Schlumberger, the largest oil servicing company in the world.
I managed the marketplace project, including application design, user experience, MVP scope definition, stakeholder management, and team creation. I launched the product within a 9-month timeline and a $3.5 million budget.
I led the API management platform research, assessment, and evaluation to find the right product and partner. I was involved in the partner selection—Google—and on price and contract negotiations. Google's API management platform was used by 10,000+ internal and external developers.
I organized numerous evangelism sessions across the organization to promote API-led integration. Also, I formed a community of practice for API enthusiasts to collaborate.
The program's impact has been broad: As of September 2020, there were 728 APIs published on the API management platform and 565 million monthly API calls.
SAP Migration Program
Managed the integration of 25 applications to the SAP ERP platform as part of the SAP migration program.
I acted as the integration project manager responsible for managing the SAP integration to internal and external applications. These applications included Salesforce CRM, Siebel CRM, Oracle ERP, Hadoop, Power Platform, SaaS and PaaS applications, and proprietary applications.
I managed a budget of $18.5 million and facilitated the implementation of 95 interfaces. I
I led the initiation and project discovery phase. Due to a large number of integrations, I created a template for collecting requirements from internal customers and stakeholders, building a backlog from these requirements.
I ran integration architecture sessions to define the integration strategy and patterns for different integration use cases. Integration methods included APIs, Boomi, smart data streaming, and SAP BAPI.
I also facilitated Scrum ceremonies and completed the integration project within budget and on time—18 months.
The integrations enabled several business processes, including order-to-cash, procure-to-pay, record-to-report, and product planning.
Order Provisioning Automation
Launched and managed the release of a customer portal for automating the order provisioning process for a telephony service.
I was tasked to initiate and manage a project to create a customer portal where the client's customers could place an order request for new telephony services. This request would automate the configuration of six applications—billing, ordering, BSS, OSS, mediation, and fraud applications—and three telecom equipment.
I ran the project and product discovery process, creating a project charter. The project was approved with a $550,000 budget and a timeline of five months and was completed on time and within budget.
I set up the team by recruiting four developers, one QA, and one UX designer, and created the backlog, leading Scrum ceremonies.
The customer portal was built with AngularJS. The process was orchestrated using Red Hat's jBPM. This controlled the API calls in the required order.
Order provisioning duration reduced from three days to two minutes. The revenue from the product grew from $5 million to $12.5 million due to an increase in orders.
Master's Degree in Information Technology (Part-time)
University of the West of England - Bristol, United Kingdom
Master's Degree in Information and Communications Technology
Coventry University - Coventry, United Kingdom
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Certified Scrum Master
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring