Verified Expert in Project Management
Rick has over 25 years of experience in the IT industry, 12 of which have been spent as a consultant. He is experienced in developing software, managing the delivery of software solutions, acting as a CXO, and leading teams of up to 150 engineers. Rick has collaborated with over 20 companies in different stages of their lifecycle and functional domains, including flight ticket distribution, banking, ERP, eCommerce, and footwear.
Interim Delivery Manager | Platform Transformation Consultant
- Managed the delivery of mid-office delivery teams over several product increments, including major deliveries, to enable the internationalization of the stater product portfolio.
- Reorganized the delivery teams to provide clearer team missions and cleaner processes.
- Outsourced work to India to provide a more cost-effective delivery.
- Lead the evaluation of a technical platform to potentially accelerate Stater’s Platform Transformation.
Exact Cloud Development Benelux b.v.
- Spearheaded the personal development of 150 engineers delivering our cloud solution portfolio.
- Responsible for the integration of three technology teams from acquired companies into Exact.
- Implemented regular management reporting that brought more focus on results for the different teams.
- Initiated more modern ways for the teams to connect and collaborate remotely through Microsoft Teams.
- Optimized the delivery processes of some teams by changing from Scrum to the Shape Up method.
Head of Engineering
- Managed the front-end, back-end, QA, and data science teams.
- Improved planning and delivery processes as well as daily, weekly, and capitalization progress reporting, OKRs, and automated hours extraction for subsidy reporting.
- Spearheaded the delivery of regular bunq app updates and regular maintenance releases.
Chief Product and Technology Officer (CPTO)
- Managed the definition and delivery of in-store and online product portfolios.
- Streamlined a development process focussing on value delivery, improved feedback cycles, and continuous improvement.
- Secured a data lake solution delivery and adjusted data flows to ensure more scalable business reporting.
Chief Information Officer
- Worked on team building, including recruitment, coaching, and performance management.
- Led some significant architectural changes, including migrating to the cloud, breaking up the monolith into microservices, and moving from SQL Server solution to Google BigQuery.
- Improved processes, including business support and operation, Agile methodology application, experimentation, and continuous delivery.
- Worked on information security and achieved PCI DSS Level 1 compliance.
- Headed the migration from regular Microsoft Office to Google Workspace and implemented a new cloud-based call center infrastructure.
Head of Project Management Office
- Headed the migration from three enterprise technology stacks to one.
- Implemented Agile and scaled the team from three to ten teams while delivering value to the business.
- Worked on controlling IT costs, including managing research and development (R&D) project administration and reporting.
- Built and managed a team of product owners and project managers.
- Managed an overall portfolio and program for ten software delivery teams.
Integration Consulting Manager | System Analyst | Development Unit Manager
- Worked as a system analyst from 2000 to 2002. Improved scalability of a single-page web app and participated in developing a new framework for this application used by many travel agencies all over the globe.
- Acted as a development unit manager from 2004 to 2005 and secured the delivery of various applications, including a car-and-hotel reservation app and insurance booking.
- Defined new services around system integration capabilities and led many system integration projects for Amadeus customers around the globe while working as a service and system integration manager.
Capgemini (Dublin, Ireland)
- Delivered several projects involving software development, such as An Post, Esat Telecom (later Vodaphone), Merck, etc.
- Participated in a team addressing the Year 2000 (Y2K) bug issues for An Post in Dublin.
- Developed a Microsoft solution delivery practice in Capgemini.
PCI DSS Level 1 Compliance for Travelstart
Achieved PCS DSS Level 1 compliance for the biggest online travel agent in Africa.
Migrating Three Enterprise Technology Platforms to a Single Platform
Headed the development of a new platform and then migrated the original platforms to the new one.
Bunq Updates 15 and 16https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69amNBsBxI
Launched two new major versions of the Bunq online banking app, where the launch event is determined by the project's scope and delivery time. I ran each update like a critical project with significant functionality upgrades.
Personal Development Projecthttp://rickmolenaar.me
Developed small accounting software in React and Node.js.
Bachelor's Degree in International Business
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring