Verified Expert in Engineering
Adrian is a seasoned software engineer who built exceptional iOS native applications, robust Python solutions, and cutting-edge ML applications. A passion for frictionless UX enables him to deliver optimal value to end customers, while his strong engineering background and a PhD in computer science allow him to scale up solutions confidently. Adrian's keen interest in community best practices and state-of-the-art technologies equip him to quickly explore the solution space.
Swift, Git, SwiftUI, Native Mobile Apps, iOS, Python, Machine Learning, Software Architecture, Unit Testing
The most amazing...
...feature I've shipped was the complete redesign of the startup flow for a massive fintech iOS app released to millions of users without a glitch.
- Taught a small group of students the basics of iOS development with Swift, based on exclusively developed educational material, for the purpose of seeking employment in the local job market, with focus on innovation applied to the tourism sector.
- Imparted an introductory course on iOS development with Swift to young students with minimal programming background, using official teaching materials from Apple and exclusively developed educational materials.
- Followed up with and guided alumni as a coach and mentor in career planning and career growth as a software engineer.
- Developed the full user journey for the purchase of car insurance from a range of providers, interacting with a team of design, back-end, front-end, and Android colleagues daily.
- Carried out the maintenance, ongoing development, and CI infrastructure setup for a kids' app, which managed audio input in multiple formats and synchronized them with dedicated hardware, including a direct Wi-Fi connection.
- Solved outstanding tickets related to open bugs and pending features leading to the release of an educational app for children with special needs, providing timely advise on key design alternatives.
- Conceived and implemented a maps' app prototype for assisted navigation on iPad, exploring the integration of several competing GIS libraries while considering the project and budget constraints.
- Designed and implemented a simple camera booth app for a student's fair, in tandem with a product lead and a photographer, including advanced image manipulation via filters in Apple's Vision framework.
Machine Learning Specialist
- Applied a novel technique for 3D image segmentation to a dedicated set of point cloud images.
- Researched state-of-the-art algorithms in 3D image segmentation to find a suitable candidate.
- Configured a fully functional machine learning pipeline at the client's premises.
Scout24 Schweiz, AG
- Served thousands of daily users of a marketplace app on both iPhone and iPad with consistent high ratings in the App Store.
- Led the long-term effort to evolve a large legacy codebase in Objective-C to Swift, based on SOLID architectural principles and best practices.
- Managed a large UI redesign with new features and ongoing bug fixes.
- Participated with the team winning the "most demanding implementation" prize for a national hackathon with a prototype for image recognition in iOS.
- Participated in building an internal prototype for room area measurement with ARKit.
Test Automation Engineer and Test Manager
- Developed a full suite of automated tests in Python for a custom embedded telecommunications system for a telecom company.
- Coordinated and supervised off-shore colleagues in the area of test automation.
- Developed machine learning analysis of diagnostic system information for failure prediction.
Post-doc Research Scientist
Swiss Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)
- Researched programming models for novel parallel architectures.
- Advised customers on tradeoffs and concrete solutions of parallel algorithms for distributed systems.
- Evaluated early parallel computer systems, including shared memory and distributed memory architectures.
Marcus by Goldman Sachs | Consumer Banking Apphttps://apps.apple.com/gb/app/id1489511701
I devised, implemented, and validated complex features, including multi-region support, and successfully launched a new European market. I also redesigned the entire app initialization flow to support widely differing requirements across regions to a seamless release for millions of users. My work stretched across all layers of the app architecture in coordination with a large distributed team of interdisciplinary engineers.
"Adrian is a wonderfully talented team mate and engineer who I would highly recommend. He's passionate about creating great products and puts great care in to his work. He was regularly someone I could rely on for honest advice. [...] I'm confident that Adrian will always leave a team/project in better shape than when he joins. He's an outstanding talent." – Gareth Davies, Head of Mobile, Marcus by Goldman Sachs
Daisy | Proptech Apphttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/daisy-living-experience/id1521473478
The app is based on SwiftUI and MVVM architecture, connecting with a GraphQL server. I was responsible for new features, app architecture, ongoing refactoring, quality assurance, and maintenance.
"I had the pleasure of working with Adrian during his time at Daisy, and I can confidently say that he was an invaluable asset to our team. Adrian consistently demonstrated a strong sense of ownership and dedication to the product, greatly contributing to our success. He's a highly motivated team player and a pleasure to work with." – Yakir Agam, Senior Product Manager at Daisy
Real-time Sports Analytics App
• Tracking the ping pong ball and players during the game. It was done by applying custom tracking logic over a computer vision technique for detecting a difference between frames and detecting players with ML models over Apple frameworks.
• Auto-detection of the ping pong table to determine the region of interest for detecting ball pitches and bounces. Two approaches were considered: (1) the object detection model trained from an annotated dataset with contour detection, and (2) the object segmentation model converted to Core ML format from the existing TensorFlow version.
An Apple engineer validated the approach during a personalized lab at the 2022 Apple Worldwide Developers Conference.
FlipBooks | Accounting Apphttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/flipbooks-job-costing/id1555542198
I worked single-handedly on this project from concept to the App Store, following the design and domain expertise of the founder. The app is based on SwiftUI and Core Data, with the domain logic backed by unit tests. It offers rich features to present content interactively, enabling seamless editing of items in place, always feeling snappy and responsive. I also added App Store subscription support and configured the app entirely in App Store Connect.
"I really appreciate all of Adrian's efforts over a full year in helping me get FlipBooks onto the App Store. He's been an absolute professional and a pleasure to work with, and I would recommend him without reservation."
– Andrew Taylor, Founder and CEO
BehaviorFlow | Educational App for Special-needs Childrenhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/behaviorflow/id1457823767
"Adrian helped us to improve our iPad-based iOS app and get it ready for beta testing. He was able to come up to speed very quickly on the app. He provided many timely fixes with very high quality. He is very easy to work with and provided detailed feedback on proposed changes as they were developed. He clearly had the best interest of our company at heart. I heartily recommend him for work on iOS applications." – Ed McFadden, Head of Software Development, BehaviorPro
Tonies | App for Children to Record and Share Audio
I carried out the maintenance of the app for a year, following business requirements. I single-handedly managed a native codebase in Swift and Objective-C, which featured external device configuration via wifi, importing multiple audio formats such as MP3, M4A, Ogg, and WAV from different sources, local or via cloud providers. I also added unit and UI tests, which run at every build, and configured the CI pipeline in Bitrise, including one-click app shipping to App Store Connect.
"Adrian was very quick to react to any queries, implemented even somewhat unclear tickets with great understanding, asked when necessary but didn't when not. His code passed any review (although admittedly not by iOS experts) with flying colors: It was clear, readable, documented when needed, and separated into sensible commits/PRs. Despite 100k+ users, in the time he worked with us, we were only aware of one bug that was introduced into the code while Adrian worked for us, and that was really our fault for an unclear specification. Outstanding work!" – Philipp Hagemeister, Back-end Developer
Enabling iOS Apps with Machine Learninghttps://github.com/atineoSE/EnablingiOSAppsWithML
Machine Learning Pipeline for 3D Image Segmentation
"I met Adrián in a technical speech about Machine Learning with iOS, and then we ordered a research job with him about using this technology in land surveying applications. We were surprised because of his learning capability, deadline achievement, and the quality of the final results and documentation. [...] I recommend working with him in any of his specialties." – Francisco N., General Manager
Telepass Pay | Car Insurance Purchase User Journeyhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/telepasspay/id947434621
The feature included the complete user journey, from the landing screen to the input of multiple pieces of information to the confirmation and final purchase. The app was developed natively in Swift and integrated a reactive framework similar to RxSwift, in an MVVM architecture. I contributed to all layers of the development: UI, business logic, network requests, and unit tests. The release served a potential user base of tens of millions of users in Italy.
ImmoScout24 | Marketplace App for Real Estatehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/immoscout24-switzerland/id404181805
I worked as an iOS developer for two years on this app, serving thousands of daily users on iPhones and iPads. During this time, the team accomplished many significant milestones, from releasing prominent features to an extensive redesign, bug fixing, and massive refactoring. In particular, I led the long-term effort to evolve a large legacy codebase in Objective-C to Swift based on SOLID architectural patterns and best practices.
Multiple Object Recognition in Imagehttps://tinyurl.com/ios-vision-ibm-watson
Measure Room Area with Augmented Realityhttps://youtu.be/2AU_C9EW57Y
We leveraged software and hardware in iPhones to recognize the floor plan and plot vertexes on it. The app would then draw a polygon that would show the area in square meters in real-time.
Maps App Prototype for iPad Integrating GIS Libraries
This work involved exploring several competing GIS libraries, including ArcGIS, Mapbox, Apple Maps, and other open source packages. It led to a final decision based on trade-offs imposed by the project constraints. Apple engineers validated the approach in a one-to-one lab celebrated during the 2020 Apple Worldwide Developers Conference.
MalagaMobile (Mobile Development Meetup)https://github.com/MalagaMobile/sessions
Guest speaker testimonial: "As well as a true gentleman, Adrian is a committed and passionate community organizer of the Malaga Mobile meetup. Adrian invited me to talk at Malaga Mobile earlier this month [Sep 2019], and I was welcomed with wide, open arms into a community that he has worked hard to build. His knowledge and passion for iOS development are second to none, and I would welcome any opportunity to work with him in the future."
-- Chris Barker, Tech Lead at N Brown
Mentoring and Coaching Young Software Engineers
"After finishing a course on native mobile development, I entered the mentorship program with Adrian. I started to develop a more professional mindset, looking deeper into code structures and development patterns as well as why each of those could be beneficial in different situations.
Overall, this mentorship has been, without a doubt, one of the best experiences I've had so far in my career in regards to self-development and learning outcomes. With Adrian's help, I was able to start developing iOS applications to a decent standard in a short period, which, along with the tips he gave me on my professional career and how to position myself in interviews, helped me land my first job!"
-- Agustín Ovari, mentee
Teaching iOS Development with Swift
Student testimonials from an anonymous survey:
"It's been a very practical course, but what I liked the most has been the planning of the modules and their structure. From not knowing anything, one can develop a basic app in two weeks."
"I think patience is your biggest virtue since the same questions were repeated time and time again, and I've never seen you lose your calmness. The explanations were very clear and detailed, and it's obvious that you know the subject matter perfectly."
"Very happy with the iOS course and above all with the level of the teacher. Not even in University, I have found teachers with such preparation for the classes. This makes it very easy to understand the lessons."
Swift, Objective-C, Python, SQL, Java, Fortran, C++
SwiftUI, iOS SDK, Core Data, XCTest, XCUITest, UIKit, Flask, ARKit, Core ML
iOS Native Libraries, REST APIs, Core Animation, OpenMP, MPI, PyTorch, Pandas, NumPy, CocoaPods, Apple Maps API, ArcGIS, RxSwift, Keras, XGBoost, TensorFlow, Core Image
Xcode, Git, GitHub, GitLab, TestFlight, Bitbucket, Fastlane, Jira, xUnit, Jenkins, Google Analytics, Apple Keynote, Auto Layout, Microsoft Mobile Center, Crashlytics, GIS, Visual Studio App Center, Asana, IBM Watson
Unit Testing, Mobile Development, Refactoring, Coded UI Tests, RESTful Development, Requirements Analysis, Reactive Programming, Model View Presenter (MVP), Continuous Integration (CI), Parallel Programming, Agile, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Testing, Scrum
iOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase, MacOS, Linux, Bitrise, Mapbox, NVIDIA CUDA, Ubuntu, Android, Mobile
Code Architecture, Research, iPad, App Store, Performance Tuning, Processing & Threading, Architecture, Mobile App Development, User Interface (UI), Software Architecture, Communication, Machine Learning, Version Control, App UX, Technical Leadership, Mobile GPS, Project Planning, Location Services, OpenAI GPT-3 API, APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Augmented Reality (AR), AVFoundation, Cost Estimation, Computer Vision, Image Processing, Apple Pencil, UPC & Barcodes, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Ethernet, OCMock, Layout, Multithreading, iOS Camera, Mentorship & Coaching, Career Coaching, Maps, UI Testing, Native Mobile Apps, User Journeys, iPhone, Image Analysis, Community, Meetups, Mentorship, Coaching, Planning, Leadership, Kaggle, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Hackathons, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Data Modeling, Combine, Accessibility, Object Detection, Reinsurance, Data, Data Analysis, Analytics
Photography, Teaching, Insurance
Ph.D. in Computer Science
University of Málaga - Málaga, Spain
Bachelor and Master of Science Degrees in Telecommunications Engineering
University of Málaga - Málaga, Spain
Professional Scrum Developer
ISTQB Certified Tester
Swiss Association for Quality (SAQ)