Ahmad Abo Bakr
Verified Expert in Engineering
Ahmad is a certified Unity expert with more than a decade of experience as a software developer. Most of his experience was as a game developer and virtual reality (VR) specialist. He co-founded a VR agency in 2017, where he led a team of talented developers and artists to create virtual reality games and training experiences that meet the criteria set by his clients. Ahmad believes the true potential of VR is not limited to entertainment but also training and communication.
JetBrains Rider, Unity
The most amazing...
...tool I’ve created was an interaction and hand presence system that I designed to help speed up the creation of VR experiences.
Senior Game Developer
Big Viking Games
- Helped create a 2D avatar creator to be used in-game by the players to develop and manage their character avatars.
- Developed multiple optimized Unity UI animation scripts and generic components to be used to bring life to the game menus.
- Helped clean up and migrate the old code base created in the prototype phase of the project to the new architecture placed for work in the alpha release.
- Designed the project architecture, developed the interaction system, networking components, and quest management system for the project. Established the core gameplay loop.
- Helped interview and hire most of the core team. Conducted weekly sessions for the existing team to get them up to speed and improve their coding skills.
- Assisted to establish the project management structure, split and assign tasks, and created sub-teams. Made sure everything is delivered according to requirements by doing code reviews and doing constant individual feedback.
Game Development Lecturer
- Taught students pursuing a bachelor's degree in game development to understand the concepts of programming, game design, and how to use the Unity game engine.
- Facilitated students to develop their graduation game project by helping them split and manage their tasks. Provided help with technical topics and guided them towards resources they can use.
- Helped organize events like game jams, technical debates, and a monthly game design.
- Worked on expanding the team from just me and my co-worker to having five developers and three artists working full-time, maintaining multiple projects for multiple clients.
- Created components that we could reuse for most of our VR projects that speed up the work for the team. Kept expanding it to accommodate more user cases. Sold this system as an asset on the Unity Asset Store.
- Maintained a good relationship with our clients and had multiple returning clients for other projects or maintenance on the same project.
Game Development Technical Supervisor
Information Technology Institute
- Helped students design, develop, and manage their game projects by providing technical and logistical help.
- Designed the study path for the different intakes applying to the nine-month post-grad game development degree. Selected what courses, their structure, and the topics of each class.
- Taught advanced topics on game physics and mathematics, computing graphics, the Unity game engine, and network programming.
- Organized game development events, such as the global game jam and run double jump, the first indie event in the MENA region that is still running every year in Egypt.
Modern Academy for Engineering and Technology
- Learned how to teach and present to a large group of students, which was a big fear of mine.
- Taught advanced topics in computer engineering like compiler design and computer graphics. Kickstarted and sparked my interest in pursuing a career in game development.
- Learned more advanced theoretical topics that were needed for teaching.
Junior Web Developer
- Developed a web-based call management system that allows companies to route their call based on pre-determined patterns and conditions.
- Learned how to effectively use the Zend framework with MySQL to create REST back ends.
- Learned to create front ends using Bootstrap and jQuery.
Mold Removal Training Experience
An Untitled VR Racing Game
Unity, Unity2D, Unity3D, Phaser.io, A-Frame
Git, Blender, Jira, Notion
Scrum, Unit Testing, Reactive Programming, Socket Programming
Virtual Reality (VR), Game Programming, Game Development, Game Design, Mobile Games, Programming, Software Engineering, Game Physics, 3D Games, Unity Game Assets, Performance Optimization, Team Leadership, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), Multiplayer, University Teaching, Augmented Reality (AR), Research, Virtual Reality App Design, Design Tools, Unity Editor Scripting, Unity3D Native Plugin Interface
Three.js, WebVR, WebGL, WebXR, UniRx
Linux, Oculus, Mobile, Oculus Rift
Master's Degree in Virtual reality
Middlesex University - United Kingdom
Postgraduate Diploma in Game Development
Information Technology Institute - Cairo, Egypt
Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Engineering
Arab Academy for Engineering and Maritime Technology - Cairo, Egypt
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Modern Academy for Engineering and Technology - Cairo, Egypt
Unity Certified Expert Programmer