Alec Ten Harmsel
Verified Expert in Engineering
Alec began programming at the age of 14 and has loved it ever since. He ran an autonomous drone team in college for a couple of years before graduating to work on a variety of software in banking and construction management.
Vim Text Editor, Linux, Gentoo
The most amazing...
...opportunity was when I discovered and helped fix a serious issue less than two weeks after starting at Goldman Sachs.
- Developed tools for property owners to view and manage their properties.
- Added cash basis views to various accounting reports.
- Supported property management software built with Ruby on Rails.
- Developed Tridium-based software to sync HVAC and lighting schedules with Microsoft Exchange calendars.
- Modeled labor across construction projects to predict future labor needs.
- Ideated and created a web app to track projects, costs, and work orders using Ruby on Rails, React, and D3, deployed to Kubernetes.
- Created a search engine with Spring Boot and Lucene to search job and work order documents. Made a web front end with Spring Boot and a desktop app interface to the search API with PyQt5.
- Wrote custom monitoring and alerting software using Vert.x to reduce time to detect problems by two orders of magnitude.
- Designed, developed, and supported core trading control software written in C++, Java, Scala, and Q globally.
- Improved DevOps tooling to significantly reduce manual intervention during releases.
- Developed a StatsD proxy server with C++ and Boost.Asio to improve monitoring accuracy.
- Created custom reports as needed for crucial business team members.
Hadoop System Administrator
University of Michigan
- Installed and managed Hadoop, Spark, and other related tools.
- Wrote jobs to process HPC cluster logs for monitoring.
- Assisted researchers in analyzing large amounts of data using Hadoop and Spark in Java, Scala, and Python.
- Used Ansible to configure base cluster operating system and manage services, including Hadoop and Spark.
- Wrote system administration tools using Python to reduce manual system administration work.
Michigan Autonomous Aerial Vehicles
Managed the team developing navigation, computer vision, and other high-level algorithms for two years. Co-managed the team for the same two years, leading or assisting in fundraising, outreach, and recruiting.
Emergency Flight Planning for an Energy-constrained Multicopter
Web-based Coaching App
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Apache Spark, Boost, Vert.x, Hadoop, Spark, Qt 5
C++, C, Ruby, Java, Scala, Python, Go
Stripe, React, PyQt 5, D3.js, Node.js
Vim Text Editor, Ansible, MATLAB
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI