Verified Expert in Engineering
Oleksii is an ex-Facebook senior software engineer who's shipped dozens of Android apps for billions of people. Oleksii has experience building products and teams from the ground up as well as getting into a huge legacy codebase, making dramatic performance improvements and aligning the development processes in existing teams. Oleksii combines leading and architectural skills, product vision and passion to testing, design and user experience to make truly awesome products.
Git, Gradle, Android Studio, Kotlin, Android SDK, Android, Bluetooth, Java, Coroutines, Firebase
The most amazing...
...solutions I've built are photo annotation tools for WhatsApp which meet performance constraints for billions of Android devices.
Senior Software Engineer
- Shipped improvements for camera and status at WhatsApp Android for 2+ billion users, which significantly increased privacy and improved user experience.
- Developed a new version of the media composer, including a new blur pen tool that met performance constraints for billions of Android devices.
- Implemented performance metrics for one of the core WhatsApp features.
Lead Android Engineer
- Introduced the Model–View–ViewModel (MVVM) architecture and Kotlin coroutines across the codebase, significantly increasing the testability and stability of the Android app.
- Refactored the core app components, increasing the velocity of sending and receiving messages by 5x.
- Led a small development team to follow better engineering practices, code reviews, continuous integration (CI), and testing.
Senior Android Engineer
- Developed an Android app to integrate with robotic hardware using Bluetooth Low Energy.
- Built an app leveraging ARCore technology to visualize custom 3D models.
- Used TensorFlow to build and train various machine learning models in making UI predictions.
- Led the Android team and introduced the MVVM architecture and Kotlin coroutines. Established the best engineering practices to improve testing, code reviews, and CI.
- Developed the first async/await open source library to leverage Kotlin coroutines for Android.
Senior Android Engineer
- Integrated the rich communication services (RCS) chat client protocol into the messaging app.
- Supported the phone and tablet platform migration on Android Lollipop.
- Improved various system apps to follow material design guidelines.
- Created a library to simplify the background work handling with built-in caching.
- Guided a team on UI, performance, architecture refactoring, and improvements.
- Refactored a webcam Android app to support various device configurations.
- Redesigned the UI and improved usability in a webcam Android app.
- Developed a TV remote-control Android app with video broadcasting using Android Native Development Kit (NDK) libraries and the Samsung TV SDK.
- Created an app to intelligently control Bluetooth speakers with an Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP).
- Built an app for group drawing and communication using a shared TV screen.
- Developed an efficient drawing UI from scratch to demo the new TV SDK.
- Improved the continuous integration process, increasing the app stability and the development process.
- Used the IBM WebSphere Business Integration Server for developing integration solutions to connect 10+ legacy enterprise applications, including enterprise resource planning (ERP) and warehouse management systems (WMS).
- Developed a new integration platform using Apache Karaf.
- Supported data migration between legacy enterprise systems.
Notenger leverages the commonly known design of the chat app to make adding notes and setting reminders as effortless as sending a message. Once a reminder is fired, it appears as an incoming message.
Android SDK, JUnit, Flutter, Dagger 2
RxJava 2, Retrofit 2, REST APIs, Retrofit, Camera2 API, NDK, RxJava, TensorFlow, PyTorch
Android Studio, Gradle, Git, Apache Maven, Mercurial, Jenkins, IntelliJ IDEA, Google Cloud Messaging, Android NDK
Continuous Integration (CI), API Architecture, Unit Testing, REST, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA)
MacOS, OS X, Android, Bluetooth LE, Mobile, Firebase, ARCore, WebSphere, iOS
SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle SQL
Code Review, User Interface (UI), Bluetooth, Coroutines, Performance, Architecture, Mobile App Development, Technical Leadership, Software Project Management, Product Management, UX Wireframes, APIs, Widgets, APK, Sideloading, User Experience (UX), Material Design, Google Material Design, Android Wearables, Espresso, A/B Testing, Android Camera App, EventBus, Augmented Reality (AR), Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Camera SDK
Master's Degree in Computer Science
National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute" - Kyiv, Ukraine
Convolutional Neural Networks
Structuring Machine Learning Projects
Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization, and Optimization
Neural Networks and Deep Learning