Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Developer
A C64-period enthusiast turned into a versatile and all-around IT pro. Alessandro occupied different roles in his career—from IT support to software design and development through personal training and data management. In recent years, he's developed his skills in database administration and cloud computing with a strong grasp of DevOps methodologies. He also holds certifications in Oracle Database and Amazon Web Services.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure
The most amazing...
...work that I've done and am proud of was the leads management system that I designed and implemented on an Oracle database platform.
Senior DevOps Engineer for Mortgage Portal
- Led the refactoring of the Azure infrastructure code using Terraform with extensive use of modules and workspace. Redesigned the network topology using a hub-and-spoke architecture.
- Implemented improvements related to Kubernetes secrets and system-wide encryption keys management using Key Vaults and CMKs.
- Supported and contributed to refactoring Helm charts to support multiple environments and line-of-business applications.
- Designed and implemented disaster recovery procedures for databases using Azure-managed services and automated scripts.
- Migrated and refactor the development environment, implementing best practice and rationalizing costs.
- Improved infrastructure and logging management in Azure, enabling Log Analytic workspaces.
- Handled tools like Visual Studio, Terraform, and Log Analytics workspaces.
- Explored options to migrate VM-based applications and databases to managed services.
- Led the transition of part of the company data to a NoSQL event-driven data model.
- Provided support to a set of data and DevOps functions, including migration to a container-based and serverless architecture.
- Co-managed ETL processes and BI report design and supported DBA activities, like backup, query design, and tuning.
Senior DevOps Engineer
EY — Global Innovation (via a Job Board for Freelance Work)
- Joined a team based in Palo Alto, CA, for six weeks of onboarding and training, then switched to a remote consulting role in Milan, Italy.
- Worked as part of the DevOps team and provided support to the developers and project stakeholders by managing a sophisticated multi-layered infrastructure built on Microsoft Azure.
- Worked on a codebase mainly written in Ruby leveraging other tools like Azure CLI and Bash scripts.
- Designed and managed dev/test/prod pipelines for both infrastructure and docker platform.
- Used third-party tools like Concourse CI, Splunk, and Periscope Data as part of the infrastructure.
DBA | Cloud Consultant
HMC MIddle East
- Managed the migration of the backbone of the company servers to Microsoft Azure Cloud IaaS service: the move included the database, application, and web servers.
- Provided specialized support on data-related matters.
- Leveraged cloud-based technologies to further improve backup strategies.
- Developed a significant set of PowerShell scripts to ease the management of cloud-based assets, such as VMs, Azure SQL databases, and firewalls.
- Tested successfully the Oracle and MySQL database migration to the Oracle Cloud infrastructure.
- Tested an additional reporting tool option in Microsoft Power BI.
- Set up and configured the endpoint protection and monitoring tool to protect cloud-based VMs.
NYAC | New York Adventure Club
- Supported NYAC in migrating their application to AWS.
- Worked with their Node.js developer to set up a viable environment in Amazon EC2 to host a web application and an admin portal.
- Create the needed assets using Elastic Beanstalk to set up auto-scaling and load balancing to ensure high availability and performance.
- Added the necessary IAM roles for users to access the needed assets.
- Migrated the site from GoDaddy to Amazon using Route 53 and the DNS services.
IT Manager | DBA
HMC Middle East
- Joined the IT team based at the company's Middle East regional HQ in Dubai Media City. Initially assisted in overhauling company CRM and reporting system while still supporting the European operations.
- Managed the databases in Oracle, MS SQL Server, and MySQL.
- Set up and managed high-availability solutions based on Oracle Data Guard and MySQL replication.
- Defined and implemented backup and restore policies.
- Developed a large set of PL/SQL and T-SQL procedures to support LOB application and data analysis requirements.
- Composed scripts in Groovy to produce PDF renewals sales and CSV exports.
- Upgraded the reporting system based on Microsoft SSRS to cover sales, financial, and marketing analysis.
- Designed HTML email templates for sales confirmation, receipts, and marketing emails.
IT Manager Europe
- Focused initially on local IT support. Quickly was promoted to IT manager of Europe.
- Set up and managed IT operations in countries like Portugal, Spain, Greece, Poland, and Turkey—traveling 20% of the time.
- Received two training sessions in Dubai and one in Australia, assisting the company move to a web-based data management.
- Developed a WAMP application to manage the leads assigned to dozens of call centers in Europe.
- Wrote a wide array of SQL queries to support day-by-day activity, providing information to regional operations.
Terraform, MySQL Workbench, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), GitHub, Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS), Git, Microsoft Power BI, Splunk, Matillion ETL for Redshift, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Helm
DevOps, ETL Implementation & Design, ETL, Azure DevOps, Continuous Delivery (CD)
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Oracle, Amazon EC2, Windows, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Windows Server
Oracle PL/SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Database Administration (DBA), MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, NoSQL, Database as a Service (DBaaS), Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon DynamoDB, Redshift, Amazon Aurora
Oracle RMAN, IT, Cloud Services, Azure Resource Manager (ARM), Data Warehousing, Oracle ASM, Data Architecture, Data Warehouse Design, Amazon Route 53, Pipelines, Amazon Kinesis, Apache Cassandra, Architectural Modeling, CI/CD Pipelines, Engineering
Windows PowerShell, Serverless Framework
Master's Degree in Computer Engineering
Politecnico di MIlano - Milan, Italy
Apache Cassandra Developer Certification
Oracle Cloud Database Specialist
AWS Certified Developer — Associate (DVA)
Amazon Web Services, Inc.
Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional OCP
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring