Verified Expert in Engineering
Alex is a full-stack developer with an array of soft skills and notes of DevOps capabilities. He knows that regular communication is vital to ensure accurate direction and accountability. Having worked among startups, Alex can ramp up quickly to any project. After studying within an enterprise, he is capable of leadership, task breakdown, and drawing out project designs.
The most amazing...
...project I've led was an aggregated logger for our many enterprise applications, allowing proactive insights and diagnostics.
- Reduced AWS costs by 80% by analyzing and reducing database and compute sizes to match needs and replacing resources with managed AWS services.
- Advised on process and documentation decisions for nonprofit board management and organization.
- Improved security for our third-party services (AWS, GitHub, Auth0), as well as within our cloud document management service (Google Drive).
- Maintained and developed features for a React administrative web app, a Node.js/Express.js API middle tier, and our user-facing React Native Android/IOS mobile application.
- Coordinated and led projects for volunteer staff. Projects included data collection and measurement using Google Sheets and Google Forms, collection of geolocation from IP addresses, and replacement of third-party services to protect user data.
- Collaborated with external organizations to understand the data privacy needs of our users, creating timelines to complete projects to protect our users.
- Converted Node.js API middle tier to TypeScript from Babel. The intention is to help developers refactor code.
- Built tooling to easily deploy within the AWS ecosystem. Automated CLI instructions included interacting with S3, CloudFront, CodeBuild, and ECS.
- Upgraded all npm dependencies and updated source code during breaking changes.
- Improved onboarding documentation to match correct versions of dependencies and recorded steps to set up Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows.
- Communicated work asynchronously with the team through GitHub issues.
- Developed retained sign-in feature while the user was interacting with the web app.
- Coordinated with project owner and designer to assemble project scope and timeline using Asana.
- Created pixel-perfect, reactive web app from design specification using Bootstrap and Vue.
- Developed administrative process within WordPress admin using Advanced Custom Fields and custom post types.
- Improved site performance to be 70+ for PageSpeed Insights.
Senior Software Engineer
City and County of Denver
- Researched new technology and how it could be integrated, including Azure TTS, a Cisco phone system call tree, Twilio, Mailchimp, state systems, and Microsoft Power Automate API.
- Built technical designs for the development team, including a client portal, a deployment tool, an aggregate log, and a mass messenger.
- Created an architectural vision for our technology stack that covered tokens, queues, Pub/Sub, system agnostic locks, API wrappers, and object-oriented patterns.
- Mentored two interns for a CronJob migration from SQL Server procedures to C#.
- Oversaw the project to convert Oracle to SQL server, coordinating between our team and the project manager.
- Developed an internal custom application written in Visual Basic and C# used daily by 600 employees.
- Discussed product designs with project managers and broke down tasks for the internal development team for windows applications, web apps, internal tools, and long-running services.
Senior Web Developer
- Created several web-based single-page applications (SPA) written with PHP and Angular with communication done through HTTP APIs in JSON.
- Acted as a product owner of five applications, all of which were 90% unit tested.
- Designed and implemented insights architecture with a combination of the Pipe and Filters pattern (PHP), Blackboard, and OOP.
- Built PulseLink that had an IE8 minimum requirement: it was used by the front desk and needed to be quick to load and fast to use.
- Rebuilt RoomPulse into an AngularJS single-page application: it had an IE9 minimum requirement and served as a back-office utility.
- Designed multiple reusable Angular components, including typeahead, dropdown, list multi-selection, and modal.
- Developed an open-Source script to watch GitHub repositories for version changes.
Full-stack Web Developer
- Redeveloped our guest-facing upsell solution by utilizing Node.js and AngularJS which decreased page load size by 50%.
- Educated coworkers on technologies including Node.js, AngularJS, Canvas, and Google App scripts through presentations showing the pros and cons and usage.
- Presented, with the VP of marketing, the release of our APIs for the 2013 Tnooz THack.
- Created an Android application that utilized internal API calls; my focus was on usability and performance.
- Enhanced our internalization system by supporting lazy-loading keywords which improved manager efficiency.
- Worked closely with the UX designer to implement a mobile design.
- Wrote an administrative service-based web apps using CakePHP in a collaborative Scrum environment.
- Reformed an aggregate report system which reduced the script run time from ten minutes to two minutes.
- Optimized a web printable 16-page HPA report to have backward compatibility for IE6.
- Developed a utility to import collections of thousands of unique screenings—saving several hours each week.
- Created several tracking systems to implement client-specific requests.
CAD Handwheel Generator
As an alternative solution, vehicles will have a computer and a 3D printer. An operator can enter the handwheel dimensions and output a procedurally generated CAD file for 3D print to replace any broken handwheels.
Conference Attendance Web App
The chosen solution to the project was to build a custom post type in WordPress that integrates with pre-existing functionality. This allows the EE editors to manage the lessons entirely by themselves. Including managing content, the template, additional data, and user access.
This project allowed me to work with WordPress and extend its feature base. I was able to create a custom post type. I integrated with advanced custom fields to build the form. EE already chose Divi as their templating engine, and I was able to create a custom template. Lastly, they use Memberful for user role access. By utilizing each of the integrations already present, EE can manage this feature on their own.
WordPress Page Speed Optimizationhttps://candleinc.org
Power Automate Flow for Non-technical Users
Automation of Accounting Needs for a Freelancer
.NET, CakePHP, Angular, ASP.NET, Windows PowerShell, Vanilla JS, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Core, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), .NET Core, Divi, Bootstrap, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), React Native, Express.js
MySQL, SQL Server 2017, Oracle SQL, MongoDB, MariaDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon DynamoDB
Full-stack, Operating Systems, Data Structures, IIS, Architecture, Design, Front-end, APIs, Web Project Management, Algorithms, Networking, Symphony, Pub/Sub, Microsoft Power Automate, ParcelJS, Project Design & Management, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), Amazon RDS, Metabase, Google, Wave, Harvest, Google BigQuery
Vue, Node.js, jQuery, Doctrine, PayPal API, React, SendBird, SignalR
Git, Apache, Visual Studio, Grunt Command Line Interface (CLI), Asana, FreeCAD, FileMaker, Jira, Subversion (SVN), Android Studio, Genymotion, VirtualBox, NPM, Bower, Grunt, Advanced Custom Fields (ACF), Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Excel, Webpack, Auth0, GitHub, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), AWS IAM, AWS CLI, AWS Fargate, Papertrail, Mailchimp, Slack, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Babel, Looker, SendGrid, Google Sheets, Google Forms, Zapier, Make, Notion, Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM)
Agile Project Management, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Automation
Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS, NetBeans, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Azure, Eclipse, Kubuntu Linux, KeystoneJS, WordPress, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Cloud Computing Services, Firebase, Docker
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Elmhurst College - Elmhurst, IL, United States
AWS Certified Developer - Associate
Amazon Web Services