Verified Expert in Engineering
Cloud Architect and Developer
Amar is a cloud architect with 15 years of experience in the information technology domain, namely in IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. He specializes in the Microsoft Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) using Terraform, Ansible, Git, Docker, Packer, Kubernetes, containers, CI/CD pipelines, GitLab, Bitbucket, GitHub, Vault, Linux, Windows solutions. Amar also excels at DevOps and site reliability engineering (SRE).
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Oracle Cloud, Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Containers, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Kubernetes, Microsoft Azure, Linux
The most amazing...
...process I've performed is an immutable deployment in GCP using GitLab, Packer, startup scripts, PowerShell, Terraform, and instance templates.
Senior Cloud Architect
- Deployed cloud resources in Microsoft Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) using Terraform Enterprise workspaces. Created and managed a ZFS Storage Appliance in the OCI and the Azure NetApp Files.
- Created RHEL 8, Oracle Linux 8, Windows 2016, and 2019 custom images using Packer and stored them in GCP Images, Azure Compute Gallary, and OCI Custom Images. Created Docker images for Terraform, Ansible, Kubectl, and Packer executables.
- Used Terraform to create Oracle Cloud DB systems, compute, autonomous DB, load balancers, object storage, policies, compartments, dynamic groups, monitoring alerts, notifications, GoldenGate services, file storage, security lists, NSGs, and subnets.
- Developed virtual machines, app services, load balancers, storage accounts and respective containers and file shares, private endpoints, recovery service vaults, backup schedules, and monitoring alerts in Azure.
- Rolled out multiple dedicated GitLab runners for specific GitLab groups to reduce job run time using Kubernetes runners in shared namespaces. Worked on GKE management support activities.
- Delivered inventory, job templates, and scheduling jobs using Ansible Tower and managed Ansible roles, which required good working knowledge of core concepts like inventory, playbooks, roles, tasks, and modules.
- Created Ansible playbooks for Oracle 12c and 18c Database installations, Oracle Client, and Teradata client using Bitbucket and Ansible Tower for DB deployments on IaaS servers and Ansible templates with OCI Shell for ExaCS image and grid patching.
- Deployed and supported multiple MongoDB Atlas projects, clusters, and databases, along with export and import. Enabled backup policies providing cluster and database level access and configured alerts on Slack.
- Developed CI/CD pipelines to standardize the infrastructure and automate the DevOps processes, allowing project teams to rapidly build, test, and release code while minimizing errors.
- Worked on the creation of custom immutable images specific to the application with all the software and tools per the application's requirements. Documented it on Confluence with deployed infrastructure details and handled cloud tasks using Jira.
- Built an optimal and robust replicate system for a 24/7 OLTP banking database. Migrated 15TB database using GoldenGate 12c with zero downtime by configuring GondenGate Integrated Extract and Integrated Replicat.
- Configured downstream capture databases for GoldenGate and active-active replication, designed and developed .prm and .oby files configuring GondenGate processes, and used the Logdump utility to troubleshoot data replication issues.
- Developed GoldenGate code and created configuration scripts, applied table mapping and filter conditions per business requirements, and assessed OGG Abend and lagging problems using GGSCI commands, Logdump utility, and discard file analysis.
- Managed database security using the credential store in OGG, transparent data encryption (TDE), and wallet, profiles, and roles. Implemented both classic and integrated capture modes of OGG to replicate data and keep databases in sync until cutover.
- Fixed data not found and duplicated rows errors by enabling the Handlecollisions parameter and adding key columns. Implemented an online GoldenGate sync script framework to sync up active and passive DBs without bringing down GoldenGate processes.
- Installed and configured Oracle GoldenGate 11 and 12c.x for Oracle Database. Migrated classic captures to integrated capture and replicates.
- Configured downstream capture database for unsupported GoldenGate replication and documented the design, identifying suitable replication methods. Also, prepared parameter files and deployed .oby files.
- Designed and built Oracle 12c database, RAC, and Data Guard for migrating and upgrading from Oracle 11g to Oracle 12c with zero downtime and Oracle 12c GoldenGate with one-way and two-way configuration.
- Resolved database incidents related to Oracle RAC and Data Guard, performance issues, and GoldenGate replication issues, managed database permissions through roles and grants, and supported logical and physical standby databases.
- Upgraded multiple critical tier 1 corporate databases, migrated non-Exadata databases from one server to another using Data Guard switchover, monitored databases in OEM, and solved OEM agent issues.
Senior Database Administrator
- Solved database incidents, application performance issues, and GoldenGate replication issues, managed database permissions, supported logical and physical standby databases, and decommissioned standalone servers, consolidating databases on Exadata.
- Re-imaged the Exadata Database and storage cell servers and applied ESS, BP, and QDPE patches. Also managed Exadata compute nodes and storage cell servers, monitoring and administrating Exadata components through ILOMs, and handled alerts.
- Resized ASM disk groups and storage cell grid disks without impacting the databases. Managed and maintained InfiniBand and Exadata preventive and reactive hardware, including hard disks, flash drives, batteries, FDOM, and flashcards.
- Worked on the Exadata grid infrastructure configuration and upgrades, Exadata consolidation of standalone databases, Exadata Database migration from one rack to another, and Data Guard Broker building, set up, and management.
- Designed grid disks in Exadata storage cell servers and ASM disk groups to consolidate databases on segregated storage with only one grid disk from each storage server scaling horizontally for best protection and I/O performance.
- Supported many large OLTP/OLAP databases on Exadata, including 100TB customer analytics and WMS databases on 8-node Oracle RAC with Active Data Guard. Provided onsite weekend support for major critical release upgrades and 24x7 production support.
- Upgraded many critical tier 1 corporate databases, migrated non-Exadata databases from one server to another using Data Guard switchover, monitored databases in OEM, and solved OEM agent issues. Built and configured Oracle 12c database environments.
- Rolled out GoldenGate using Loblaw's standards and procedures and checklist evidence documents. Reclaimed storage on Exadata disk groups moving Oracle RAC databases of over 10TB with 30 mins downtime with active Data Guard and zero lag.
- Managed physical and logical standby databases in RAC and non-RAC environments, handled the Oracle database upgrade from 11gR1 to 11gR2 in the Linux RAC environment, and implemented and supported Oracle RAC 10gR2, 11gR1, and 11gR2.
- Architected GoldenGate and installed and configured Active Data Guard for high availability and replication.
Senior Engineer | DBA.E2
- Provided 24/7 support for production, capacity planning, and database design and implementation for new production databases as well as for existing production databases with change requests, implemented and supported Oracle 10gR2 and 11gR2.
- Administrated Oracle 10g and 11g databases on ASM with the size of databases varying from 1TB to 40TB and implemented and maintained database security processes handling users, roles, and privileges assignment. Cloned the databases.
- Transformed logical database designs into physical databases, built, implemented, tested, and assured production databases and environment quality. Installed server software and implemented List, Hash, and Range partitioning.
- Used Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) and Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor (ADDM) for performance tuning, checking database performance at regular intervals. Performed system enhancements, including SGA, memory tuning, and SQL tuning.
- Upgraded Oracle databases from 10gR2 to 11gR2 in a Linux environment and from 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 in a Solaris environment and applied CPU patches using OPatch.
- Migrated Oracle 11g databases to Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM), increasing database performance and disk-space utilization; took responsibility for ASM migrations and tuning on all platforms.
- Designed, configured, and maintained backup and recovery policies, including RMAN backups, taking periodic backups of the database and the software using cold, hot, and RMAN strategies, and planned and implemented backup and recovery of the database.
- Handled OEM Grid Control installation and configuration for monitoring and performance tuning. Also managed Oracle Grid Control 22.214.171.124 and extensively worked on configuring OEM Grid Agent on new servers and on registering new databases.
- Configured schema-level logical backups in 11g OEM Grid Control, extensively used 11g Grid monitoring for proactive monitoring of databases, scheduling jobs through Oracle Scheduler, and automated the logical backups using Data Pump.
- Installed, configured, and maintained ASM-enabled 11gR2 databases, configured ASM, handled issues, and suggested feasible workarounds for ASM, load balancing, databases, schema, and table re-organization for performance.
Database Support Engineer
Exilant Technologies (acquired by QuEST Global Services)
- Provided 24/7 support for the production database and administered production database instances. Handled a cross-platform migration using export and import from Windows to Linux, cloning databases for different environments.
- Worked on application patches and coordinated with Oracle Corporation Support to solve issues, researching patches and their dependencies to test, validate, and support the operational environment. Provided general technical troubleshooting.
- Installed, configured, and upgraded Oracle Server software and related products to maintain user security. Participated in requirements gathering, system and database design, and application development and support.
- Handled database backup by scheduling backup depending upon business strategy and database recovery: recovering from media failure, recovering tables dropped accidentally, and recovering data files.
- Performed UNIX shell scripting to monitor and maintain the Oracle database for partitioning and automation of jobs and handled performance issues and SQL query tuning.
- Implemented online and offline database backups and managed recovery with RMAN archiving data on tape. Partitioned large objects to improve query performance and manageability.
- Managed users, roles, privileges, and spaces, created storage structures, table spaces, tables, and users for custom applications, and loaded data using SQL Loader to test the application.
- Monitored database performance at regular intervals, which included checking various log files. Extensively worked on migrations, patches, and upgrades of the 9i, 10gR1, 10gR2, and 11gR2 databases.
- Maintained databases by checking the size of the database and the addition of table spaces and data files, migrated and upgraded the Oracle 10g database to Oracle 11g, incorporated the changes in the database design, and assisted other programmers.
- Delivered capacity planning considering future database and server growth, extensively conducted end-to-end database health checks, and applied range partitioning to improve performance.
Retail Survey Application | Migration to the Cloud
The vendor confirmed the app couldn't run on containers, so I chose the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) for the project and adopted infrastructure-as-code practices.
I used Cloud SQL to manage the database, Windows Server 2016 on GCP MIGs for the web app, internal certificates for HTTPS internal portal, GitLab as the version control system (VCS), and CI/CD pipelines to automate delivery.
I have prepared GUI steps using PowerShell scripts, developed the project, and created a Cloud Storage bucket for Terraform state files and service accounts using the GCP governance repository.
In addition, I created multiple stages in GitLab pipelines with Packer for image building, used Terraform to develop resources such as instance templates, and managed instance groups, Cloud SQL with HA and backups, and GCP for object storage.
The deployment was the closest to containerization that we can with VM deployment.
Ultimately, we saw savings on running this infrastructure in the cloud with reduced support requests and costs.
All the necessary GitLab executor images were available on Docker with a few challenges:
• For each GitLab job run, the image must be pulled from Docker Hub
• Docker Hub images require the installation of packages
• Cannot enable internal version controls along with executable versions
To achieve faster GitLab job runs and increased security, I created a GitLab image repository with multiple branches, each with dedicated pipelines.
Additionally, I created and maintained Terraform, Ansible, kubectl, gcloud CLI, OCI CLI, Azure CLI, and Docker images and pushed them to the GCP SRE team's Artifacts Registry, with version controls.
By using these internal images, each GitLab runtime has been reduced by at least 30 seconds. Images are pulled from the internal GCP Artifacts Registry network, and control versions are maintained internally for better infrastructure-as-code management.
GitLab Runner | Google Kubernetes Engine
With tens of applications with hundreds of servers, the wait time for shared runners was high, and for each application release, testing and deployment took a long time. The shared runners were being executed in a couple of VMs managed by DevOps tools and shared across 10+ SRE teams.
This project aimed to deploy dedicated GitLab runners so that the daily launch time for the jobs of 15+ team members was reduced by 2-5 minutes each, depending on the peak load of the shared runners.
Designed to deploy as Kubernetes GitLab runners, I pushed the code to the GKE namespace repository and submitted it as a merge request. Used the GitLab documentation to deploy GitLab runners using Kubernetes and created the necessary service accounts. Deployed multiple GitLab runners with different tags for different use cases like app launches, batch jobs, long-running jobs, and testing.
With these dedicated GitLab runners, the teams' productivity has increased due to reduced deployment time.
SQL, Python 3, Python, Bash
Terraform, Ansible, Packer, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), GitLab CI/CD, Git, GitLab, GitHub, Vault, MongoDB Atlas, Jira, Confluence, Draw.io, Bitbucket, Azure Key Vault, Ansible Tower, Oracle Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Azure App Service, Oracle RAC, Oracle GoldenGate, Oracle Exadata, PuTTY, WinSCP, Microsoft Teams, Slack, Docker Hub, Data Guard, Helm, Grafana, Jenkins
Microservices, DevOps, Azure DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Deployment, Serverless Architecture, Automation, DevSecOps, Microservices Architecture
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Docker, Kubernetes, PagerDuty, Citrix, OCI Vault, Azure IaaS, Azure PaaS, OCI Artifact Registry, Google App Engine, Red Hat Linux, Oracle Linux, Windows Server 2016, Windows, AIX, HP-UX, Oracle Database, Oracle, Azure, Linux, Windows Server, Microsoft, Azure Functions, Ubuntu, Debian, Unix
Oracle Cloud, Azure SQL, Azure SQL Databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server 2016, NetApp, On-premise, MongoDB, Azure Cloud Services, Google Cloud SQL, Database Performance, Google Cloud
Containers, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Security Clearance, Education, K-12 Education, English, CI/CD Pipelines, Immutable Infrastructure, DevOps Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), ServiceNow, Google Vault, HashiCorp Vault, IaaS, Platform as a Service (PaaS), Oracle PaaS, SaaS, Identity & Access Management (IAM), Containerization, Google Container Engine, Container Registry, Load Balancers, Azure Virtual Networks, Networks, Firewalls, Azure Monitor, SQL Server 2019, ZFS, Oracle Database 18c, RSync, Outlook, Software, Shell Scripting, Unix Shell Scripting, Cloud Computing, Cloud Architecture, Monitoring, Architecture, Cloud Security, Disaster Recovery Plans (DRP), Cloud Services, Linux Server Administration, Networking, System Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure, Google, Cloud, Google Cloud Functions, Configuration Management, Back-end Performance, IT Security, Azure Analysis Services, Cloud Engineering, Software Engineering, Prometheus, System Administration, VM, Microsoft 365, eCommerce, Microsoft Servers, Microsoft Azure, GitOps, Container Orchestration, Oracle Linux 7, Oracle Linux 9, SUSE Linux, Git Repo, GitHub Actions, SIEM, Compliance, Identity, Security, APIs, Data Protection
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University - Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh, India
Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert
Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate
Kubernetes and Cloud Native Associate (KCNA)
The Linux Foundation
Google Cloud Certified: Professional Cloud Database Engineer
Google Cloud Certified: Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer
Google Cloud Certified: Professional Cloud Architect
HashiCorp Certified: Terraform Associate (003)
Google Cloud Certified: Cloud Digital Leader
Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert
Security Clearance – Reliability Status
Government of Canada
Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
Google Cloud Certified – Associate Cloud Engineer
HashiCorp Certified Terraform Associate (002)
Neo4j Certified Professional
Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Exadata X5 Administrator
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Oracle GoldenGate 12c Certified Implementation Specialist
Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional
Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional
Oracle Certified Expert in Oracle 11g: RAC and Grid Control
Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Exadata X3 and X4 Administrator
Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Associate
Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert
Educational Credentials Assessment | Validation of the Degree in Engineering Completed in India
World Education Services
Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring