Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and Developer
Andreas holds a PhD in applied math and has shown through his research and work experience a passion for using scientific computing to drive data-informed, impactful results. He wrote a thesis in the field of computational fluid dynamics and published two papers in high-impact journals as the first author. Most recently, Andreas has analyzed remote diagnostic data in the trucking industry to improve the performance of diesel engines.
Linux, Git, Python, Vim Text Editor, Jupyter Notebook
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was my PhD thesis, in which I used math, physics, data, and programming to develop a new way to simulate droplets in turbulence.
Senior Data Analyst
- Developed over ten Tableau dashboards connected to remote diagnostic data, used by engineers throughout the organization to identify problem trucks and overall truck performance trends.
- Created a model that forecasts KPI and how it is affected by potential investments into the business. The model is used by management to inform significant budget decisions.
- Automated complex data-aggregation tasks in Snowflake SQL.
Mathematical Sciences Publishers
- Edited papers for grammar, readability, and consistency and typeset them in LaTeX to the highest typographical standards to prepare for publication in top math journals.
- Developed processes and tools to improve editors' efficiency, such as Vim macros and a shell script to automatically populate missing bibliographical data using the Crossref API.
- Interfaced directly with authors to ensure they were satisfied with the formatting of their papers and worked with them to implement requested changes and corrections.
University of Washington
- Maintained seven high-performance Linux servers used by graduate students and faculty in the applied mathematics department to perform cutting-edge research in climate modeling, mathematical finance, and mathematical biology.
- Provided training to the department's students on various scientific computing topics, such as shell scripting, SSH and the Linux command line, common Python packages, and maintaining an academic website.
- Oversaw the transition to a new auto-grading system used by instructors to evaluate Python code submissions for classes of over 300 students.
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Washington
- Added machine-learning capabilities to legacy Fortran/C++ code to speed up fluid simulations by a factor of 16.
- Post-processed large fluid-simulation datasets on the order of 100 GB, using Python to visualize important fluid phenomena and perform analysis to make new scientific discoveries.
- Assisted in teaching a graduate-level course on computational fluid mechanics, including designing and grading exams and homework assignments, holding office hours, and giving lectures on using ANSYS Fluent.
Large-eddy Simulation of Droplet-laden Isotropic Turbulence Using Neural Networkshttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2021.103704
Wavelet-spectral Analysis of Droplet-laden Isotropic Turbulencehttps://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2019.515
Python, SQL, Snowflake, Fortran, C++, Java, HTML
NumPy, Keras, SciPy, MPI, HDF5
MATLAB, LaTeX, Vim Text Editor, Tableau, Git, Subversion (SVN), Microsoft Excel
High-performance Computing, Data Science, Parallel Programming
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Jupyter Notebook, Docker
Research, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Numerical Methods, Scientific Computing, Numerical Analysis, Linear Algebra, Writing & Editing, Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Big Data, Shell Scripting, Server Management, SSH, Technical Support, Technical Training, Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Forecasting, Deep Learning, Big Data Architecture, University Teaching, Data Engineering, ANSYS
PhD in Applied Mathematics
University of Washington - Seattle, Washington, USA
Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics
University of Washington - Seattle, Washington, United States
Bachelor's Degree in Applied Mathematics
University of California, Berkeley - Berkeley, California, United States