Doctoral Student (PhD Completed)2017 - 2020The Alan Turing Institute
Technologies: Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Pandas, NumPy, Gensim, SpaCy, Fintech, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Text Analytics, Causal Inference, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Topic Modeling, Neural Networks, Time Series, Windows, Linux, Keras, Python, NLTK, Social Media APIs, Cryptocurrency, TensorFlow, Data Science, Deep Learning, Web Scraping, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning
- Earned a PhD at The Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national institute for data science and artificial intelligence.
- Created a new, nonparametric NLP algorithm (DDPWI) to extract from social media text the words associated with declining Bitcoin prices. Published in Royal Society Open Science.
- Applied neural networks in a new Word2vec-based topic modeling algorithm to detect which topics discussed on social media were associated with phasic shifts in Bitcoin prices. Presented at ACM SIGIR 2019.
- Showed the one-off effect of regulatory bans on Bitcoin and the recurring effects of rival innovations on the Ether price.
- Demonstrated how nonparametric correlation networks could be applied to explore the associations between the prices of different financial assets. This work has been cited 15 times.
Head of Data Science2017 - 2017ERS (A Lloyd's Syndicate and the UK's Largest Specialist Motor Insurer)
Technologies: Regression, XGBoost, Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Pandas, NumPy, Insurance, Tidyverse, Fintech, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Random Forests, Linear Regression, Windows, Python, R, Data Science, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Boruta, Generalized Linear Model (GLM)
- Set up the data science team at the UK's largest specialist motor insurer with accountability at the board level.
- Enabled the fine-tuning of insurance premiums based on customized, specialized, nonparametric technologies rather than the standard linear models offered by Willis Towers Watson software.
- Pioneered the application of Random Forests, XGBoost, and GLM along with approaches to feature selection that included Random Forest techniques, including Boruta and statistical testing, to generate prediction models.
Data Scientist2016 - 2017Hitachi Consulting
Technologies: Customer Analytics, Regression, XGBoost, Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Pandas, NumPy, Marketing, Tidyverse, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Consulting, Text Analytics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Random Forests, Time Series, Linear Regression, Windows, SQL, Python, R, Data Science, Web Scraping, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Azure
- Introduced regression approaches (linear, lasso, ridge, elastic net, and logistic) to feature selection to improve the customer experience by transforming data into actionable insights.
- Identified potential root causes of sales revenue in a marketing project using machine learning feature selection approaches.
- Developed data science project templates used in machine learning and customer analytics projects.
Data Scientist2016 - 2016Model Citizens Ltd
Technologies: Customer Analytics, Regression, XGBoost, Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Pandas, NumPy, Marketing, Tidyverse, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Consulting, Random Forests, Windows, SQL, Python, R, Data Science, Web Scraping, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning
- Managed customer data analysis identifying opportunities and threats for a retailer.
- Performed a data audit and analysis for an entertainment company.
- Pioneered the use of clustering algorithms to classify customers into different types.
Postgraduate Student2015 - 2016Grenoble École de Management
Technologies: Plotly, Regression, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Time Series, Linear Regression, R, Data Science
- Analyzed the financial and nonfinancial drivers of internet company valuations.
- Determined that financial statements could explain only about one-third of the variation in the price-to-sales ratio.
- Published in the journal, Bankers, Markets & Investors.
Internship2014 - 2014DN Capital
Technologies: Web Scraping, CB Insights, Pitch Books
- Advised DN Capital on the threats and opportunities facing the European venture capital market.
- Provided guidance to DN Capital on how best to position itself to mitigate threats and take advantage of opportunities.
- Published a report that was awarded a First Class Degree by the University of Cambridge.