Chief Technology Officer2020 - PRESENTEDA Family Solutions
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), APIs, Code Review, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), SQLAlchemy, Front-end, Full-stack, Front-end Development, Back-end Architecture, Mobile App Development, Mobile App Design, Team Mentoring, Technical Leadership, HTTP, REST APIs, Interviewing, Recruitment, CTO, Trello, GitHub, Docker, Unit Testing, App Store Acceptance Process, Agile Deployment, Continuous Integration (CI), AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS, Xcode, iOS, Flask, PostgreSQL, Swift, Python
- Evaluated technical architecture options, balancing concerns of performance, price, feature set, future-proofing, reliability, and ease of integration. Established and built-out tech stack that hits our requirements on all of these factors.
- Authored and revised workflows across the tech team, reduced developer onboarding headaches, and avoided conflicts in style, structure, and integration.
- Planned roadmaps with other CXOs, reporting technical progress and highlighting technical risks in non-technical terms. Conclusions arising were realistic and balanced, indicating a good understanding of the situation and constraints.
- Architected, developed, and implemented a child-safety iOS application in Swift (7,000 lines of code), integrating with the Python (Flask) back end, emphasizing a minimal working set of user information, for privacy and ethical concerns.
- Managed and mentored junior developers, mixing coaching with more administrative and pastoral aspects. The developer reports show that they are thrilled with the setup and are learning a lot.
- Tracked, prioritized, and resolved bugs and feature requests via Github and Trello. Reviewed the other developers' branches and collaborated with those reviewing mine, picking up bugs and design issues before entering the codebase.
Core Technology Senior Developer2010 - 2019GSA Capital
Technologies: Java 11, Banking & Finance, RabbitMQ, APIs, Python, Solution Architecture, Software Architecture, Fintech, Financial Services, Back-end Development, Full-stack, API Integration, Architecture, Financial Modeling, Requirements Analysis, Performance, API Architecture, App Support, Deployment, Team Mentoring, Project Management, Bug Triage, Git, Hudson, Bash Script, SQL Server 2012, AngularJS, Java, Scala
- Led the development of the Alpha capture system, used by over 30 major banks and trading houses, generating £5 million in annual revenue.
- Architected, implemented, tested, and deployed the real-time charge calculator, tagging two million trades daily with over 20 types of configurable charges and commissions.
- Handled the out-of-hours support on rotation, minimizing disruption to time-critical processes through a full understanding of the internal and external systems empowering my decision-making process under pressure.
- Acted as an early adopter, evangelist, and advisor for Scala within GSA, which reached 90% take-up within the core and became the common language across all teams.
- Advanced the CI practices within the team. Deployed a prototype setup as a proof-of-concept, tuning it to incorporate our custom deployment steps, and getting widespread buy-in for integration. Removed 99% of manual work and errors around deployment.
- Collaborated closely with my colleagues in the operations and trading teams to understand the details of their roles and incorporate this knowledge into the designs of systems they used. Named a "most valuable colleague" several times due to this.
- Refactored a serialization protocol of the trade capture system at the heart of GSA's business. Extensive testing and careful three-phase deployment allowed this to go live with no downtime or errors and resulted in a 20x increase in throughput.
- Liaised with the infrastructure team to determine the hardware setup required for each application, then commissioned and acceptance-tested it.
- Mentored and supervised the junior developers joining the team, sharing both programming and business knowledge so that new hires were typically able to pick up first-line support within three months of joining.
- Designed and maintained internal representation of financial products as a database and library (API). Integrated stakeholder information and understanding of financial services to cleanly model over 100,000 products across dozens of asset classes.
Associate Developer2009 - 2010IHS Markit
Technologies: Banking & Finance, APIs, Oracle, Oracle PL/SQL, XML Web Services, HTTP, Mentorship & Coaching, Subversion (SVN), Git, Sonar, JProfiler, Hibernate, Hudson, jMock, Unit Testing, Spring, Back-end, XSLT, XML, Java
- Refactored the web app upload process, leading to a performance improvement by one order of magnitude and the acceptance of a new account of £70,000.
- Improved team productivity by introducing improved workflow tools, including Git, Hudson, JProfiler, and Sonar. This reduced the "code freeze" period around releases from two weeks to one day and enabled parallel development.
- Maintained documentation on the in-house wiki, focusing on relevance, correctness, and applicability. Praised by the manager for these efforts when other developers found it simple to take over basic maintenance and troubleshooting when needed.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented scalable grid architecture for distributed calculation, which enabled the company to sign larger accounts (£3 million in expected revenue stream) and expand coverage to offer valuations of risk.
- Reorganized the build process, removing fragile dependencies and refactoring unclear targets, resulting in an estimated 100 working hours a month saved on slow and broken builds as well as immeasurable improvements on morale and workflow.
- Mentored the colleagues and developed their abilities, both one-to-one and in group informal training sessions.
- Automated the webserver validation process with Hudson and Nagios, saving around ten working hours a month of manual intervention and garnering commendation for the monthly meeting initiative.
- Wrote and monitored the automated test suites, which included the first full definition of correct behavior. While incomplete on my departure, this raised coverage from 11% to over 60% on the packages concerned.
- Replaced the custom database persistence library with Hibernate version, reducing defect report rate by over 90% and enabling developers to fix issues faster by one order of magnitude.
Java Developer2006 - 2009Site Intelligence
- Reworked the input parsing code underlying the whole application to run multithreaded. Performance gains of 540% enabled us to take on larger accounts returning an immediate £200,000 in licensing revenue.
- Created an email service integration module from initial specification to testing and delivery. This module was licensed for £55,000 in revenue in its first year.
- Consulted with management to plan a feature set for future releases. The solid estimates and feedback on potential technical roadblocks improved the consistency of release delivery.
- Completed the ongoing development across multiple modules, including estimation, development, testing, time tracking, and liaising with the technical author.