Verified Expert in Engineering
Mert is a distinguished software engineer with over ten years of experience developing enterprise systems. He holds computer engineering and MBA degrees with exceptional software architecture and design, team management, and product management skills. Mert has delivered state-of-the-art software products, including complex industrial IoT solutions, financial payment systems, web and mobile applications, and various scalable back-end systems.
The most amazing...
...software product I've designed and built is an IoT middleware that is horizontally scalable and can handle thousands of connected devices.
Senior Software Engineer
Fonoa (via Toptal)
- Designed and implemented tax automation integrations for Mexico and Taiwan.
- Applied domain-driven design approach to improve the code quality and testability.
- Improved automated testing by dependency inversion. Implemented unit tests that use simple JSON request models instead of creating complex models in C#.
Senior Software Engineer
- Created a new microservice for spell checking that supports most languages and handles hundreds of requests per second.
- Designed and developed a payment microservice that manages the payments of the crowd through payment providers such as PayPal and Payoneer.
- Migrated multiple monolithic application parts into microservices, including the code and the database.
- Improved payment microservice performance by parallelizing the operations.
- Discovered missing back-end validations that would allow malicious users to corrupt the data. Implemented both the processes and the missing validations.
- Created and greatly improved multiple microservice documentation that enabled new developers to onboard a lot easier.
Senior Software Developer
- Developed multiple B2B systems on Salesforce B2B Commerce.
- Developed and maintained a B2C eCommerce system on Sitecore.
- Improved development processes by introducing concepts like design patterns, dependency inversion, and automated testing.
- Developed a cloud-based application that acts as a caching layer in front of Google Matrix API. The application guaranteed response time under 150 milliseconds, regardless of the request origin, and decreased the Google API usage cost by 95%.
- Migrated the version control system from SVN to Git, significantly improving the developer experience.
- Applied performance profiling to pinpoint the memory leaks in the caching system of the project management product.
- Designed and developed a software system that provides information about any product with a barcode. The system consists of a cloud back end on AWS and an Android app. It has distributed web scraping to collect data and bypass IP banning.
Software Development Team Leader
- Managed a team consisting of six developers and two support engineers.
- Oversaw the design, development, and maintenance of an on-premise software system for 20+ customers. The customers included the largest banks and telecommunication companies in Turkey, Russia, and Europe.
- Migrated a complex, monolithic SOA system into multiple microservices.
- Designed and implemented a new composable architecture that allows third-party code to be integrated by drag-and-drop that allows customized deployments specific to the client. This reduced the complexity of the deployment process significantly.
- Conducted job interviews and employee performance evaluations.
Partner | Software Development Manager | Lead Developer
- Designed and developed the only horizontally scalable IoT middleware that can handle thousands of connected devices. It became the reference implementation for the largest institutions in Turkey to track assets, personnel, and stock in real-time.
- Created and developed an RFID-based warehouse tracking system that was the first such implementation in Turkey. The largest manufacturers use it in Turkey to track and automate warehouse inventory processes in real-time.
- Implemented the first IoT-based money bag tracking solution for the biggest bank in Turkey.
- Designed and developed an RFID asset tracking solution. It had unrivaled features that made it the most popular in Turkey.
- Oversaw a team of developers, designers, and field engineers.
- Entrusted with an offer of a share of the company and became a partner due to my outstanding performance.
Kraken - IoT MIddlewarehttps://www.biltera.com.tr/
RFID, barcode, and Bluetooth devices are connected to local nodes to form a network of parallel computation network. Inputs are analyzed, persisted, and distributed to different integration channels such as SAP.
It can track assets and personnel, determine the directionality of a moving object, take stocks, and much more.
Device management, device connectivity, notifications, and integrations are managed in a web application.
Kraken is used by the largest manufacturers, banks, and city hospitals in Turkey to automate their processes using IoT.
I was a partner of the company and acted as the architect, team leader, and product manager of the system.
Detaware - IoT Asset Trackinghttps://www.biltera.com.tr/
It reduces human error dramatically and speeds up the tracking and inventory-taking process by more than 95%. It achieves hundreds of assets to be inventoried per second.
Detaware is used by the largest banks, universities, and manufacturers in Turkey.
Matrix Warehouse - IoT Warehouse Systemhttps://www.biltera.com.tr/
A custom-designed IoT system consisting of RFID technology and sensors is installed on forklifts, and RFID tags are installed on warehouse addresses and goods. The systems on the forklifts communicate with a central system that aggregates all the data, process it, and integrates with ERP solutions like SAP.
Matrix Warehouse is used by more than ten factories of Şişecam in Turkey, Russia, and Europe.
Markarar - Product Barcode Scanning
The data is gathered through an innovative scraping method. The user's smartphone gets the scrape job, processes it, and sends the scraped data to the server. This prevents blocking of the server IP address due to an excessive amount of scraping requests.
Acted as the founder, designer, and developer of the system. I also managed a team of three for advertising and UI/UX design.
Crowdsource Payment Systemshttps://www.defined.ai/
I researched and developed payment integrations for PayPal and Payoneer. I optimized the microservice to increase the throughput dramatically.
Google Matrix API Cachinghttps://www.prosymmetry.com/
The caching system consistently produces response times under 100 milliseconds for more than 99% of requests and reduces the cost by 90%.
Speech Analytics Web Applicationhttps://www.sestek.com/
I introduced training sessions for developers, conducted job interviews, and evaluated employee performances.
Also, I profiled the application and the services to find and fix performance issues as the services consumed huge amounts of real-time streaming data.
I designed and implemented new features. I migrated the legacy monolithic application into a new microservice architecture and updated the framework and library dependencies.
The system was used by the largest banks and telecommunication companies in Turkey, Europe, Russia, and Africa.
.NET Core, ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core, .NET, Windows Communication Framework (WCF), ASP.NET MVC, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), ASP.NET
Entity Framework, React, SignalR, Protobuf, Windows Forms (WinForms), Google API
Web, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Mobile, Android, Docker, Kubernetes, Azure Functions, Salesforce, Bluetooth LE
Windows Services, Software Development, Computer Engineering, Business Administration, Architecture, SaaS Design, Team Management, Technical Leadership, Full-stack, Finance, Entrepreneurship, HTTP, Serverless, Leadership, eCommerce, Project Leadership, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Internet of Things (IoT), TCP/IP, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Salesforce Apex, Order Management, Low-level Reader Protocol (LLRP), UPC & Barcodes, RFID, Design, Optical Sensors, Product Management, Algorithms, Startups, PayPal, Payment Processing, Team Leadership
RabbitMQ, Git, Azure App Service
REST, Microservices, Socket Programming, B2C, B2B, Agile, Automated Testing, Unit Testing
Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, JSON, SQL Server 2016
Master's Degree in Business Administration
Hacettepe University - Turkey
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Çankaya University - Turkey