Asad Jibran Ahmed
Verified Expert in Engineering
Multiple managers in past roles have described Jibran as a product-minded engineer. Over a 10+ year career, he cultivated a skill for identifying and solving customer problems using software development. Having worked at companies of all sizes, from a 4-person startup to an 8,000 people strong multi-national (Stripe), he also has a unique perspective of seeing what does and does not work at different scales. Jibran uses these lessons to build teams and systems that scale with the business.
WebStorm, PyCharm, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a Windows desktop app calculating the chances of winning a game of Texas Hold'em, given starting conditions.
- Acted as the directly responsible individual (DRI) for the project that launched Stripe's core offering to Croatia, Lichtenstein, and Gibraltar. Also, served as a DRI on a project to bring Stripe's multi-currency payouts functionality to a new region.
- Initiated and got leadership buy-in for mid-sized projects by writing strategy review documents that included justifying the business needs and revenue projections.
- Worked as part of multiple cross-functional teams for various projects during my time at Stripe.
Head of Technology
- Led the technical team and made technology decisions.
- Managed the infrastructure as a DevOps engineer on AWS and later Azure.
- Provided hands-on coding on the main application and related services.
- Took part in product discussions and the product development lifecycle.
- Performed code reviews to ensure acceptable code quality standards were maintained.
- Built and managed a pricing engine that translates rules from Excel sheets to Python and presented them as an API.
- Created and managed several landing pages and AdWords campaigns for a real estate agency based in the UAE.
- Helped the team finalizing and shipping to the client an Android application that showcases their product line and helps their customers to select the most appropriate product for their use.
- Led the overall technology strategy of the company and also mentored the team while trying to solve technical problems.
- Created an Ionic/Cordova-based mobile app for a printing press. The app allows the sales agents to quickly generate quotes for printing jobs in the field.
- Developed a Django-based property showcase site for a real estate agency in the UAE with integration to a leading property CRM system.
- Managed the server infrastructure for the clients' projects. This includes services deployed in a multi-cloud environment and providers like Google Cloud, AWS, DigitalOcean, and WebFaction.
- Ensured that the technology part of the business was handled according to our company's mindset.
- Worked as a product development team member to make sure the team was providing products with the most impact on the business.
- Assured that product requirements were translated to technical specs that led to fast product development.
Toptal Client [NDA]
- Build a Go-based web spider to support the ad-tech safety platform of the organization.
- Improved existing Python-based scanners for better performance.
- Added Elasticsearch to parts of the platform that were extremely slow to display data from an SQL database.
- Improved the infrastructure deployed on AWS to follow industry best practices and to provide load balancing and high availability.
- Improved the structure and indexing of database tables to reduce query times for popular reporting view from minutes to seconds.
Portals Technical Team Lead
- Worked on the existing PHP codebase for one of the largest property-focused classified portals in the Middle East.
- Led the project of rewriting the existing PHP codebase to Django/Python as the senior back-end developer.
- Handled the effort to internationalize and launch the new portal in more than five countries in the Middle East.
- Stepped up the ladder to become the team leader for the portals' team, focusing on the smooth operation of the technical team.
- Managed the DevOps activities to ensure the smooth functioning of the infrastructure that the JustProperty portal uses.
Junior Web Developer
- Developed the Django back and front ends of the new place-an-ad (PAA) form for the largest classifieds site in the Middle East.
- Refactored the existing code to improve the performance and clarity of the jobs vertical in the Dubizzle classifieds portal.
- Helped on the monetization project for the Jobs vertical.
- Improved the search functionality that was relevant to the jobs vertical.
- Created the back end for the customer admin panel of the jobs vertical.
- Built a local web page used by teachers to sync up translated text with videos.
- Contributed to help students learn foreign languages by providing a fully local-based solution.
Advantica Lab System Software
- Improved a web application related to optical prescription management.
- Added additional features to this Django-based app.
- Provided accurate outputs that involved a good deal of mathematical calculations.
- Built a scraper to search and extract rankings from a popular restaurant ranking site using Python with BeautifulSoup.
- Developed a couple of web pages that showed users some entities on a Google Map and allowed them to search and filter information, all processes assured using a Perl codebase.
- Created an interactive web scraper that would take some input, use that to run a search on a popular ranking site, and extract the output using Perl.
50mm | A Simple-to-use Image Gallery Web App in Gohttps://github.com/agile-leaf/50mm
Not finding anything that fit the bill, I created 50mm in Golang. It uses the built-in HTTP server and Golang HTML templating. It integrates with S3 for the storage and uses Imgix for on-the-fly image processing.
In addition to powering my own gallery of photos, it is now used by at least two other people that I know of to showcase their own image collections.
Daily Ayah Bothttps://github.com/agile-leaf/daily-ayah-bot
This utility allows me to quickly place SSH into the Digital Ocean droplets that I manage without explicitly having to configure them in my SSH config file. It is similar to how Google Cloud CLI allows using SSH in Google Cloud Compute instances.
Vue.js Medium Editorhttps://github.com/theonejb/vue-medium-editor
Watchman | A Go Library to Listen to Changes in a Package and Its Dependencieshttps://github.com/theonejb/watchman
I created a small library called Watchman and integrated it into Gin to fix that.
Django Project Blueprintshttps://www.packtpub.com/web-development/django-project-blueprints
This is a book for beginner Django developers that are looking to take their skills to the next level, and it teaches them advanced skills by showing them how to build seven mid-size projects, including an eCommerce site with a search functionality powered by Elasticsearch.
Django, Flutter, Flask, Bootstrap, Vanilla JS
REST APIs, Fabric, Beautiful Soup, Vue, jQuery, React
Software Development, APIs, Back-end, AWS DevOps, Web App Deployment, Teams, Team Management, Virtual Private Servers, Digital, Facebook Ads, Django-oscar
Terraform, PyCharm, WebStorm, Ansible, Systemd, Pytest
DevOps, Agile Software Development, Microservices
MacOS, Linux, Amazon EC2, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Elasticsearch, Redis, Cloud Deployment, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, MySQL
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
NFC Institute of Engineering and Fertilizer Research - Faisalabad, Pakistan